Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tipping in the US

Tipping in the US

Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping in the US

Originally Posted by cindyabs
the turnaround is attributable to something that we are not privy to, :
I believe he said he was separating from his wife
and he didn't become the CEO of home depot after 2 weeks ...
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I believe he said he was separating from his wife
and he didn't become the CEO of home depot after 2 weeks ...
Even she probably called him a mean, old stingebag after going out with to eat, and, seeing him not leave a tip

Jim
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:28 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Even she probably called him a mean, old stingebag after going out with to eat, and, seeing him not leave a tip

Jim
she was that polite? Wow.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:10 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
I thought Tipping was a city in China.........

"Conform or Leave." Better suited as a bumper sticker for something like the immigration policy!!
I actually prefer "just play the cards that you are dealt with"
and Wanking isn't the capital either
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:01 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the food is 15 - 20% cheaper because the tips are not figured in. The good things about the system is that (1) it motivates the servers to go above and beyond when it comes to service (2) at least you get a bit of a (self imposed) discount for horrible service. The bad thing about the system is that cheap people give themselves a discount even when they've received good service.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:08 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I think that the food is 15 - 20% cheaper because the tips are not figured in. The good things about the system is that (1) it motivates the servers to go above and beyond when it comes to service (2) at least you get a bit of a (self imposed) discount for horrible service. The bad thing about the system is that cheap people give themselves a discount even when they've received good service.
this is very true,

what anoys me is when people order something and don't even say please or thank you...they kinda demand it "because they're paying for the service"..forgive me but my dad always told me that manners don't cost anything...and even though they're servers..they're still people...
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:10 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
this is very true,

what anoys me is when people order something and don't even say please or thank you...they kinda demand it "because they're paying for the service"..forgive me but my dad always told me that manners don't cost anything...and even though they're servers..they're still people...
Absolutely right. I don't know how servers are treated world wide but I've seen some really nasty characters show their ass in the US. By the same token a lot of people know how to behave in a restaurant. I've always felt that if you can't (read that as won't) tolerate the wait staff and you are too cheap to tip .... WHY THE HELL DO YOU EAT OUT? It's an overall experience and you can't pick and choose which parts you choose to participate in. :curse:
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
"Conform or leave". F**k me, I think I preferred Lanky!

That is quite the most depressing statement I've seen from a BE member in a long, long time.
I really do not understand why people stay in the US if they are so against the lifestyle.
Maybe he should concider moving home and be done with it at least he won't get ridiculed for not tipping

Get used to it or move on
I didn't see 'confirm or leave, where was that?

One thing I'll say for lanky, he is leaving, one hopes.
What some of us are saying is not 'conform or leave', but why stay in a place that makes you unhappy.
If I was as unhappy as some of these folks claim to be, I'm damm sure I'd find a way to go back.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:53 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
this is very true,

Some people confuse server with servant
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:59 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Some people confuse server with servant
Excellent point
maybe they think server is short for servant....
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:20 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you’re a cheap bastard that won’t tip you will not want to eat at a restaurant more than once cuz if you get the same waiter/waitress you may have an extra ingredient in your meal.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
If you’re a cheap bastard that won’t tip you will not want to eat at a restaurant more than once cuz if you get the same waiter/waitress you may have an extra ingredient in your meal.
my biggest grumble is, either ur never left alone, or ur screaming out for some service. I have yet to find a happy medium. I just want to eat my meal in peace and not get the bill as i am tucking into my food either..... wait till i have bloody finished.. I think me and a friend pissed someone off last week, we were eating got the bill during the meal after being asked if we wanted anything else.... mouth full of food and a few non descriptive grunts sort of made her on her merry way and then we sat and chatted for a while, and kept getting asked if there was anything we wanted .... we had full drinks.. so no.... and i felt as though it was like a cattle market, feed em, throw em out, seat the next... I prefer the european eats... u can sit and enjoy the meal without thinking ur taking someones seat...

Hairdressers.... this is where i get very annoyed. If ur paying with card to get asked how much ur tipping to put on the bill!!!!!! Frigging drives me nuts as though its part of the bill. Tipping is not part of the bill its a thank you for good service. I dont need to be reminded to have it included on the debit/credit card. I understand its part of the deal here in restaurants. Its how it has always been and how it will remain to be - but hair dressers... damn!!!!!!!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13
my biggest grumble is, either ur never left alone, or ur screaming out for some service. I have yet to find a happy medium. I just want to eat my meal in peace and not get the bill as i am tucking into my food either..... wait till i have bloody finished.. I think me and a friend pissed someone off last week, we were eating got the bill during the meal after being asked if we wanted anything else.... mouth full of food and a few non descriptive grunts sort of made her on her merry way and then we sat and chatted for a while, and kept getting asked if there was anything we wanted .... we had full drinks.. so no.... and i felt as though it was like a cattle market, feed em, throw em out, seat the next... I prefer the european eats... u can sit and enjoy the meal without thinking ur taking someones seat...

Hairdressers.... this is where i get very annoyed. If ur paying with card to get asked how much ur tipping to put on the bill!!!!!! Frigging drives me nuts as though its part of the bill. Tipping is not part of the bill its a thank you for good service. I dont need to be reminded to have it included on the debit/credit card. I understand its part of the deal here in restaurants. Its how it has always been and how it will remain to be - but hair dressers... damn!!!!!!!
Well they are running a business. They make less if there is no turn around. I do understand your aggravation. The hair dresser on the other hand I have no experience with. Wifey cuts my hair and I don’t tip her…HUMMmmmmmm… That may explain a lot…….Including my crappy hair cut……..(Just kidding dear)…
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy much to Joycee's dismay regaling them with my stories in the outback with Mick Dundee
or drinks in the local Pub with the Queen/Diane/the Beatles
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I enjoy much to Joycee's dismay regaling them with my stories in the outback with Mick Dundee
or drinks in the local Pub with the Queen/Diane/the Beatles
That’s it ray make them pay you so they don’t have to listen you lengthy stories. Killing to birds with one stone. (That could be a pun I suppose)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.