Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Tipping System is Ridiculous

The Tipping System is Ridiculous

Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:27 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Tipping System is Ridiculous

Getting back to the subject. If I get piss poor service, then the servers palm will not be graced with silver from 'el Yosser.

Piss poor service = piss poor tip.

Most resturants around DFW has great service though, if the server tops up my drink, brings out fresh chips and hot sauce without me asking, then it shows that he/she is on the ball and will get a better tip.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:28 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off to get another 'Depends', be right back.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolos
Thank you for the very kind welcome! And you definitely raise some good points.

Like I say, I have nothing against the staff themselves. They are 95% of the time very cheery, professional and helpful. It's the system that annoys me. being obligated to tip people just seems wrong to me. A waiter effectively does the same job no matter what you order. He brings the food, opens the wine, and clears the table. Yet if I order a plate of lettuce and a bottle of $12 wine, or if I order lobster and filet mignon and a $200 bottle of wine, his tip changes dramatically. Why should the waiter (bless his heart) earn $30-$40 from me, when he effectively gave me the same service as the customer next to me who just ordered breadsticks?!

Sorry for the rant, but I recently did a financial count up for 2006 and was shocked to see that I've accumulated literally $100s in tipping people.

The Hospitality/food/eating out industry is so different here.
I am a chef and when I first came over here on a visa with my UK employer it was great because I was in a unique job position within my field.
When I left this company and had to head out into the culinary world of the USA I got quite a shock.
In the UK you have so many independently owned and operated restaurants and cafes....... US is as we all know is mainly dominated by franchises for eating out......of course there are loads of independent ones too.
When I began hitting the job market I was horrified to learn that I was "overqualified" everywhere I went because of my City & Guilds,
and as for Silver Service training "forgetta boutit" (although that is archaic in the UK too now, this was 13 years ago!)
They wanted someone with no creative initiative, that could reproduce the "pictures of meals" sent from corporate office kitchens.
Anyway my point is that the wages tend to be crap in this industry here because they rarely require skilled labor or experience unless you are going for management or corporate dining positions, so the staff all rely heavily on the tips. It is a vicious circle!
I know what you mean though, I get so mad sometimes having to tip when the wait staff are so bloody unfriendly and barely acknowledge your existence when dining out and then you have to tip. I always let them know if the food or service is crap.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to sense that this forum is a pretty rude and hostile place. Is it just me, just new members, or everyone who gets this treatment? Why is almost everyone so bitter? I picture some of you guys as vultures, just waiting for me to fire off an insult or two so that you can ignite a flamefest and start a petty online feud. Sorry folks, I'm not rising to that bait.

Either talk to me with the same respectful tone that I've used with you, or don't bother posting at all. Honestly...some people.
Most of it isn't meant mate, it's just banter. I like all the piss-taking and do it on here as I've found that Americans don't understand it and get offended whereas on here most people just give it back.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:30 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to sense that this forum is a pretty rude and hostile place. Is it just me, just new members, or everyone who gets this treatment? Why is almost everyone so bitter? I picture some of you guys as vultures, just waiting for me to fire off an insult or two so that you can ignite a flamefest and start a petty online feud. Sorry folks, I'm not rising to that bait.

Either talk to me with the same respectful tone that I've used with you, or don't bother posting at all. Honestly...some people.
Please don't take it so personally. We all get this treatment at one time or another. BTW this isn't the real world and, as such, the rules of the real world don't apply here in BE. If you don't like it then you know where the door is.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Leslie is in a league of her own and you can always rely on her meaning what she says. She is also one of the nicest and kindest people at BE.
Aw, fanks.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

We are often rude but rarely hostile.
Everyone gets the same treatment but newbies have to prove themselves. Starting a thread that runs to 3+ pages can be a good start provided you don't end up huffing and puffing.
We are not bitter - just whinging Brits

respect? are you serious?!!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:32 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Why is almost everyone so bitter?
It's not bitterness, just pointing out a fairly obvious oversight on your point. If you are going to post an opinion, don't be surprised when someone disagrees with you or identifies your errors.

You could simply try answering the question -- do you believe that prices would not be increased if tips were eliminated in favor of higher wages?
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Ray has been nice to new posters recently, his reputation has suffered, he must have got some new medication
I knew it....I've been saying that for weeks.

Ray is on the happy pills, Ray is on the happy pills.
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I respond this way to people that want to take advantage of all of the good stuff in the states and them slam their wallet shut when it comes time to pay a little.

It reminds me of the people who uproot their children and drag their families halfway across the world for the opportunity to make outrageous salaries, live in mansions, and drive $70,000 cars .......... and then bitch about the public education system not being as good in the states as in the UK. THESE ARE PEOPLE THAT CAN AFFORD PRIVATE SCHOOLS AND TUTORS but they think they shouldn't "have to pay" for a higher quality of education because they didn't "have to pay" for it in the UK. Like I said - get your priorities straight. If you can't afford to tip then you shouldn't be eating out.

PS - Most Brits do not think like this - I find most of them to be very adaptable and easygoing (and not cheap) like the ones that have posted on this thread.

PPS - I didn't realize you were a newbie until I read the entire thread - so you can drop that little theory.

PPPS - This is hardly what I'd call hostile.

PPPPS - The nitpicking threads that you mention generally have to do with inadequate systems and situations that effect everybody and deserve criticism. Not instances of people wanting to eat their cake and have it too.
Read my post again, I never said I refused to do it. My first sentence stated that I DO happily pay 20% each time because I understand and support THE WORKERS. But subsidising the wages of poorly paid employees is a joke. I'm not talking about just waiters. I'm talking about having to tip porters, cab drivers, massage and fitness stores, etc etc. This stuff adds up over time. Why do those people get a tip, but the helpful old timer at the grocery store doesn't get one? Or why not bus drivers? Or nurses? Or the school teacher who goes above and beyond her duties to help your child?

At what point does "someone simply doing their job" become grounds for tipping? Do garbage men get tips? Do cotton pickers? It's a crappy system.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:34 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'm off to get another 'Depends', be right back.
lol

Did you get the ones with "wings"?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:34 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

People here are speaking to you in same the vein as you describe in another thread...honestly and quite upfront...which you said you appreciated as I recall...and that at the end of the evening you would all shake hands and be friends...it can be very much like that here (especially if you post in the evening when a few libations have been taken lol). Has any of what has been said here changed how you feel about tipping in the UK compared to the UK?

I would also say that Americans who have been forthright in their opinions in the UK have been branded as "bloody yanks" shouting their mouths off blah blah. So perhaps a little of that spills over here when US posters hear another Brit complaining about something like tipping without understanding fully that it is a different cultural thing. Ever been to India or Egypt and had EVERYman and his dog looking for a handout...its a cultural thing there too...people are poor and look to those who have relatively more cash for a "tip" for just being there.

Stick with it ...hold your own and enjoy the opportunity to say what you want to say..but allow perhaps that you may even learn something here. I certainly have

Ok I'm ready bash me one and all
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
lol

Did you get the ones with "wings"?
And do they turn blue or purple?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:36 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Read my post again, I never said I refused to do it. My first sentence stated that I DO happily pay 20% each time because I understand and support THE WORKERS. But subsidising the wages of poorly paid employees is a joke. I'm not talking about just waiters. I'm talking about having to tip porters, cab drivers, massage and fitness stores, etc etc. This stuff adds up over time. Why do those people get a tip, but the helpful old timer at the grocery store doesn't get one? Or why not bus drivers? Or nurses? Or the school teacher who goes above and beyond her duties to help your child?

At what point does "someone simply doing their job" become grounds for tipping? Do garbage men get tips? Do cotton pickers? It's a crappy system.
This has already been explained but I'll repeat it again for your sake:

Waiters/waitresses recieve little or no salary. Teachers, bus drivers, nurses, garbage men and cotton pickers all do. Comprende?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:38 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Kate2112
..............Ok I'm ready bash me one and all
You just can't get enough can you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.