Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tight with time off

Tight with time off

Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tight with time off

Why is it that in the USA, vacation entitlement is so terrible? I have just taken a week off work - which is exactly half of my annual entitlement. Which is no good to anyone!

Is it proven anywhere that the US is more productive than Europe? Because all I see every day from the depths of cubicle land is people surfing the web, bitching about not getting any time off, or conversely, feeling guilty for taking time off!!

5 years to get four weeks off - seems like a bit much to me. Especially if you change job at some point and it's all of a sudden back to two!

This is probably the single worst aspect of living here for me. Just wondering if anyone else shares my "lazy assed European" approach to life in my desire to get four weeks off!
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tight with time off

Originally Posted by Dan725
Why is it that in the USA, vacation entitlement is so terrible? I have just taken a week off work - which is exactly half of my annual entitlement. Which is no good to anyone!

Is it proven anywhere that the US is more productive than Europe? Because all I see every day from the depths of cubicle land is people surfing the web, bitching about not getting any time off, or conversely, feeling guilty for taking time off!!

5 years to get four weeks off - seems like a bit much to me. Especially if you change job at some point and it's all of a sudden back to two!

This is probably the single worst aspect of living here for me. Just wondering if anyone else shares my "lazy assed European" approach to life in my desire to get four weeks off!
Probably one of many moans you will hear.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

we get 3 weeks elective holiday and aroud 3 more weeks of public/company holidays... from what I've heard there are lots of people who essentially negociate more vaca days when they change jobs.

I'm assuming when you said "change jobs" you meant "get fired, laid off etc" not electively change jobs which would normally involve some kind of negociation.

I'm happy with my time off - I rarely take it anyhoo.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:22 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

You asked but you might not want to look at the figures. Download this pdf and look at Table 1...

NC Penguin
Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

This article , based on a survey by Expedia may reinforce what many Brits living and working in the US already know about most Americans attitude to taking time off work.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:51 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that in the USA, vacation entitlement is so terrible?
I think part of the answer has to do with one of the words you used in your question: ENTITLEMENT.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:02 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I think part of the answer has to do with one of the words you used in your question: ENTITLEMENT.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

It's the same in Canada - although luckily my company gives everyone three to start with and 4 after 5 years.

I agree that it is one of the worst aspects of living in North America - I really don't know how people cope with it? I guess they aren't used to anything else. Taking two weeks off in a row is really frowned upon as well!! People don't really seem to take a break either - cos they feel guilty about it or they feel the need to stay in contact with the office incase the world stops spinning whilst they're not there.

Infact this is probably the main reason I would move back to the U.K. It's no wonder Americans are so insular - they don't have any time off to travel anywhere other than their own back yard ffs.

One good thing about Canada is the 1 yr maternity/parental leave everyone is entitled to - that's very progressive.

Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound

I'm happy with my time off - I rarely take it anyhoo.

Thats something that pisses me off big time. I work in an office where everyone seems to want to outdo each other with taking off the least time they can in a year. So when I use my alloted vacation time and comp time hours I get the "you're taking off work again" look I do my job, I keep up with everything I need to do. When I am going to be off I always make sure I am ahead of myself and never expect or have to have anyone cover for me so why these people feel their time in the office is so valuable and they can't possibly take off I don't know. It's your time, you have earned it...use it

(Rant over, and I have adequate vacation time allowed and I use it )
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:25 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Yeah I find that as well - it's all about how you look, I have a boss that gets to work before everyone, leaves after everyone and only took one vacation day last year!! What's the point in living if all you ever do is work???? He makes everyone else feel like a slacker, even though no- one else is.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Thats something that pisses me off big time. I work in an office where everyone seems to want to outdo each other with taking off the least time they can in a year. So when I use my alloted vacation time and comp time hours I get the "you're taking off work again" look I do my job, I keep up with everything I need to do. When I am going to be off I always make sure I am ahead of myself and never expect or have to have anyone cover for me so why these people feel their time in the office is so valuable and they can't possibly take off I don't know. It's your time, you have earned it...use it

Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

I rarely take it because I have no reason to most of the time, when I start to hit the max entitlement I'll take some to knock it down a little, have a little break... but for the most part it sits there waiting for family stuff. There is no such battle or "look" in our office, its around 20% brits so we all tend to just not mind either way.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:36 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Interested
Yeah I find that as well - it's all about how you look, I have a boss that gets to work before everyone, leaves after everyone and only took one vacation day last year!! What's the point in living if all you ever do is work???? He makes everyone else feel like a slacker, even though no- one else is.
I just find the whole leave thing very odd, the wife (USC) treats it very seriously, she's been with the same agency for 22 years and is lucky, she gets 5 weeks. She still frets over taking a day off and worries about her entitlement. I've thought about working for someone, but need to stay self employed as it gives me the flexibility I need.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

May explain the general psychosis and opportunities for therapists. It just ain't healthy.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
May explain the general psychosis and opportunities for therapists. It just ain't healthy.

You're self-employed?

As is Gruff.

And me

That's why we are so sane, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.