Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A thread about constipation

Wikiposts

A thread about constipation

Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:56 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A thread about constipation

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Where's the vomit smilie?
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
The 'problem' is once your body starts getting used to more extensive measures, it can't really go back to just fruit juice, and exercise. Its just like any medication the more your body gets used to it, after a while it won't be quite as effective.
The previous meds I had worked every morning...crystals mixed with water...every night...hey presto. I used a spoon to disolve the crystals.

The doc. was very keen for me to try the new meds...at $300 per month...mmmm wonder what he was getting out of this.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:05 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

The previous meds I had worked every morning...crystals mixed with water...every night...hey presto. I used a spoon to disolve the crystals.

The doc. was very keen for me to try the new meds...at $300 per month...mmmm wonder what he was getting out of this.
Was it the same doc that wants you to try the new ones?

Maybe its because your Doc thinks it would be easier for you to swallow a tablet than crystals?
And you're not paying the $300 a month?..I know what you are saying though re if you weren't on insurance.

If you don't want the tablets tells him, was the crystals cheaper for you than the tablets?
What are the two different medications anyway..just wondering
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Was it the same doc that wants you to try the new ones?

Maybe its because your Doc thinks it would be easier for you to swallow a tablet than crystals?
And you're not paying the $300 a month?..I know what you are saying though re if you weren't on insurance.

If you don't want the tablets tells him, was the crystals cheaper for you than the tablets?
What are the two different medications anyway..just wondering
Yes it was the same doc. I didn't want to try the new meds because the crystals were working just fine and I don't want to find 12 mths from now that the new meds have been withdrawn due to heart problems etc. He was really pushy about me taking the new meds.

The cost to me is roughly about the same...but that really isn't the point. How can a laxative cost $300 per month. It's the principle...I will not be renewing the prescription.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:21 pm

Yes it was the same doc. I didn't want to try the new meds because the crystals were working just fine and I don't want to find 12 mths from now that the new meds have been withdrawn due to heart problems etc. He was really pushy about me taking the new meds.

The cost to me is roughly about the same...but that really isn't the point. How can a laxative cost $300 per month. It's the principle...I will not be renewing the prescription.
I don't know, sounds like it is very new, and it could work in a 'different' way..don't know.

I couldn't tell you how much they would cost in the NHS as all you get is a perscription which is vaguely like a co-pay I suppose, and you don't get to see the 'final bill'..some of the meds on the NHS I know did cost a lot, even though patients didn't see it!
Doubt it would cost that much even for a new medication of laxative in the UK but then again I couldn't authoritatively say it doesn't as I haven't seen the costs.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

What size spoon would that be?
A tablespoon

Usually a teaspoon...............it's not a pretty sight to see.The joys of nursing
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
A tablespoon

Usually a teaspoon...............it's not a pretty sight to see.The joys of nursing
Plastic or metal?
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, sounds like it is very new, and it could work in a 'different' way..don't know.

I couldn't tell you how much they would cost in the NHS as all you get is a perscription which is vaguely like a co-pay I suppose, and you don't get to see the 'final bill'..some of the meds on the NHS I know did cost a lot, even though patients didn't see it!
Doubt it would cost that much even for a new medication of laxative in the UK but then again I couldn't authoritatively say it doesn't as I haven't seen the costs.
In the UK - as well as the rest of Europe and I believe Canada and Australia as well - the cost of drugs is regulated, viz. the Pharmaceutical Price Regulation Scheme.

Needless there is no such scheme in the US - it's a free-for-all for Shrub's best friends...

(This is FYI only - would not want to star *that* debate again... )
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira
In the UK - as well as the rest of Europe and I believe Canada and Australia as well - the cost of drugs is regulated, viz. the Pharmaceutical Price Regulation Scheme.

Needless there is no such scheme in the US - it's a free-for-all for Shrub's best friends...

Exactly...that's why I started this thread. $300 for laxatives FFS.

Enter Tracy
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Plastic or metal?
I wouldn't try plastic. You might end up with a nice ER doc removing the evidence.

...........which reminds me (and do not read any further if you don't want to be grossed out) There was one particular instance when an older female patient complained of an object in her vagina she couldn't remove. It was the screw cap off a coke bottle. She had a prolapsed bladder and she thought she could push it back with the bottle, I guess the top was loose or she was twisting it but when she removed the bottle the bottle top was missing It was easily removed.........she then asked for it back
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira

Thank you, and no I don't want to either
Think the one in 2005 was more regulated ie with cost? I've been out of the NHS for years now and was never up in the finances obviously, just care.

But do know that even now some Doctors are turning away certain patients ie could be too expensive and won't give out certain drugs as too expensive.

Now admittedly that was a couple of years ago, I just could never pin down was it the Doctors or the administration they were under ie how much funding they got. To get into the 'post code' lottery.

Never found that out, know you would know

And as this isn't UK versus US hopefully it won't get into that debate..sorry if it does,
just wanted to understand the funding at a grass roots level and why the 'post code' lottery.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

And as this isn't UK versus US hopefully it won't get into that debate..sorry if it does,
No this debate is : Is JG's bowel problems solved with a $300 pill or a silver spoon?
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:58 pm

Exactly...that's why I started this thread. $300 for laxatives FFS.
I had this Sister when I was nursing and will never forget the lecture she gave me when I dropped some tablets on the floor...do you know how much those tablets cost the NHS etc she gave me how much it cost them ..always stayed with me Tried not to be such a Klutz after that

Now if I nursed here I bet I'd have my backside kicked if I did the same
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
No this debate is : Is JG's bowel problems solved with a $300 pill or a silver spoon?
Well she doesn't want to take the pill and why should she if the crystals work

Haven't heard what these crystals are yet JG
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

Well she doesn't want to take the pill and why should she if the crystals work

Haven't heard what these crystals are yet JG
Are they Kristalose?

If they are they work very well with next to no side effects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.