Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Citizenship

Wikiposts

Thoughts on Citizenship

Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thoughts on Citizenship

Originally Posted by robin1234
Well you can't do that - you have to be totally in compliance with taxes before they even let you renounce! Got to hand it the Americans, it's not for nothing that they are the Ultimate Hegemons.
Somewhat confused with Bobs post then . If you're squared away on your taxes and then renounce how would they decide if you did it for tax purposes or not ?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Somewhat confused with Bobs post then . If you're squared away on your taxes and then renounce how would they decide if you did it for tax purposes or not ?
To avoid paying future taxes.

For instance, you win the lottery big time and renounce your US citizenship before claiming the prize, you would then not owe the taxes if you claim it from abroad. That kind of thing...but for most people, it would be in setting up selling of a business for uber millions and scarpering to another country before finalising the sale to avoid paying any taxes on those gains.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Less than a week to go until my oath and I'm wondering if I should be feeling anything? Should I have some sort of upwelling of civic pride or sadness about pushing my UK citizenship down a rung?

I'm sort of feeling nothing really. It feels like just another bureaucratic thing to be done. Obviously I am taking the oath in good faith and will mean every word of it when I say it, just no real emotion. Perhaps I will surprise myself and burst in to tears, I don't know.

Talking to some of my born and bred USC friends there seems to be something in a lot of them, perhaps the way they were brought up, that makes their citizenship and allegiance to the flag very emotional. I don't know if I'll ever understand it. I don't think Brits in general think the same way about such things.
I was quite indifferent to the process myself - just something to do to make life easier - but what has surprised me is how it has raised my 'stature' with many of my American colleagues. They are quite impressed that I chose to actually 'join them', as it were. Hard to explain, really, and more noticeable in flag-waving Arizona than the people's republic of California
Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after saying I wasn't feeling anything other than bureaucracy about the whole thing I went an blubbed a little.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I was quite indifferent to the process myself - just something to do to make life easier - but what has surprised me is how it has raised my 'stature' with many of my American colleagues. They are quite impressed that I chose to actually 'join them', as it were. Hard to explain, really, and more noticeable in flag-waving Arizona than the people's republic of California
I, for one, am somewhat impressed that you have to go through a lot of BS to natz. But, as a I mentioned before, my grandparents and mother were refugees and the US doesn't have the habit of treating Jews as the object of a blood sport.

There is one action of people today which I find somewhat unsettling -- when people find out that I am a veteran, I hear "Thank you."
Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
They don't have to "decide" - Congress in its infinite wisdom has enacted legislation that establishes the presumption that someone who renounces their US citizenship is doing it to avoid paying US taxes - so it is up to you to refute that presumption.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Well, after saying I wasn't feeling anything other than bureaucracy about the whole thing I went an blubbed a little.
Ah, bless!!!! I hope you enjoy your ceremony.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:26 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I, for one, am somewhat impressed that you have to go through a lot of BS to natz. But, as a I mentioned before, my grandparents and mother were refugees and the US doesn't have the habit of treating Jews as the object of a blood sport.
However, during the Nazi era many thousands of Jews were denied entry to the USA and eventually died in the holocaust (although US policy-makers did not, in the early stages, know that result would follow.)
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
They don't have to "decide" - Congress in its infinite wisdom has enacted legislation that establishes the presumption that someone who renounces their US citizenship is doing it to avoid paying US taxes - so it is up to you to refute that presumption.
You said infinite there, but are you sure you didn't mean infinitesimal?
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats.

BTW, you'll need a trip to the SSA and, possibly, the DMV.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You said infinite there, but are you sure you didn't mean infinitesimal?
Sorry, I omitted the <sarcasm> ... </sarcasm> tags because I thought that they were sufficiently obvious in the context ...
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Sorry, I omitted the <sarcasm> ... </sarcasm> tags because I thought that they were sufficiently obvious in the context ...
They weren't necessary. I was continuing the piss-taking ...
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
They weren't necessary. I was continuing the piss-taking ...
Of course - that's why I left them out of my last post as well ...
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Congrats.

BTW, you'll need a trip to the SSA and, possibly, the DMV.
Why? I haven't done anything with the SSA ... that I can think of ...
Old Nov 20th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Why? I haven't done anything with the SSA ... that I can think of ...
You're supposed to change your status from LPR to USC with them (and the DMV). If you ever have reason to collect SS benefits, you'll be in their system as a USC and unlikely to experience delays. If nothing else it's useful extra proof of your citizenship should you loose the Natz certificate or passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.