Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Citizenship

Thoughts on Citizenship

Old Nov 13th 2011, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thoughts on Citizenship

Less than a week to go until my oath and I'm wondering if I should be feeling anything? Should I have some sort of upwelling of civic pride or sadness about pushing my UK citizenship down a rung?

I'm sort of feeling nothing really. It feels like just another bureaucratic thing to be done. Obviously I am taking the oath in good faith and will mean every word of it when I say it, just no real emotion. Perhaps I will surprise myself and burst in to tears, I don't know.

Talking to some of my born and bred USC friends there seems to be something in a lot of them, perhaps the way they were brought up, that makes their citizenship and allegiance to the flag very emotional. I don't know if I'll ever understand it. I don't think Brits in general think the same way about such things.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 3:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Citizenship

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Less than a week to go until my oath and I'm wondering if I should be feeling anything? Should I have some sort of upwelling of civic pride or sadness about pushing my UK citizenship down a rung?

I'm sort of feeling nothing really. It feels like just another bureaucratic thing to be done. Obviously I am taking the oath in good faith and will mean every word of it when I say it, just no real emotion. Perhaps I will surprise myself and burst in to tears, I don't know.

Talking to some of my born and bred USC friends there seems to be something in a lot of them, perhaps the way they were brought up, that makes their citizenship and allegiance to the flag very emotional. I don't know if I'll ever understand it. I don't think Brits in general think the same way about such things.
In reality isn't that all it is? If I get around to doing it, it will just be the feeling that it is the full stop at the end of a process that makes it different.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
In reality isn't that all it is? If I get around to doing it, it will just be the feeling that it is the full stop at the end of a process that makes it different.
Yes...a matter of convenience...if ever able to afford it at least

Likewise, I wouldn't really expect anyone taking on UK citizenship to feel any different. Why would they?
Old Nov 13th 2011, 6:05 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Making kids pledge allegiance to the flag every morning of their lives (at school) is a good way to ensure national pride.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Making kids pledge allegiance to the flag every morning of their lives (at school) is a good way to ensure national pride.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 7:36 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Although you are only one - you now have the right to vote. In my opinion, the ability to vote gives you the right to bitch and complain. If you don't exercise the franchise, don't bitch.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

The point at which I felt I was a USC wasn't the Oath Ceremony itself but once the blue passport arrived. To me, that's the real value of Citizenship (and the right to vote).
Old Nov 13th 2011, 8:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Although you are only one - you now have the right to vote. In my opinion, the ability to vote gives you the right to bitch and complain. If you don't exercise the franchise, don't bitch.
I agree with this, and this gets at why I chose to become a US Citizen in 2006. To be honest, I've always been a bit prejudiced against the United States.. American Exceptionalism, hypocrisy, imperialism, torture, Vietnam, Guantanamo, you name it. I was always bitching and complaining, but as an outsider. I felt if I knocked on the door and was let in (after all, I'd been paying the taxes for a decade and more,) then I could vote, give money to candidates, and bitch and complain.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 8:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The ceremony in Phoenix is generally quite good. I enjoyed it.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

In 1940, a fair number of European born Jews naturalized as American Citizens. Among them were my mother and her parents. Here is a picture of another one talking to the judge after administration of the oath in 1940.

I have attended one swearing-in in my life. I can't quantify it, but there is something about that very solemn oath. I was born a US citizen, but my grandparents passed on the idea that it was something quite special and that is why they did it.

Here is a link to what the late William Safire wrote about the private swearing in ceremony for his English wife, Helene.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Nov 13th 2011 at 9:35 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

The only real feeling was "they can't chuck me out now". I was pleased when I got the passport and didn't have to make any emergency trips while waiting for it. Good luck with your oath ceremony.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The ceremony in Phoenix is generally quite good. I enjoyed it.
How many times have you been through it?!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
How many times have you been through it?!
Once for me as participant, couple of other times as a guest.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 3:06 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
The only real feeling was "they can't chuck me out now". I was pleased when I got the passport and didn't have to make any emergency trips while waiting for it. Good luck with your oath ceremony.
Dito and that's it felt nothing still don't it is what it is and I we are still UK Citizens so who cares it just another day!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

You aren't, you're just getting a few pieces of paper to make your life easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.