Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Citizenship

Wikiposts

Thoughts on Citizenship

Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:13 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Citizenship

Originally Posted by Englishman43
You aren't, you're just getting a few pieces of paper to make your life easier.
That's pretty much the way I looked at it. I released my wife from the Affadafit of Support by becoming a citizen, and I also exempted myself from any change in immigration law that may affect permanent residents.

Ultimately, it was so I never have to deal with USCIS again - that is the biggest benefit for me ...
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:13 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
You aren't, you're just getting a few pieces of paper to make your life easier.
Easier, and also more complicated (filing for tax and FAFSA etc. for life even if no longer live in the US.)
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:15 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Easier, and also more complicated (filing for tax and FAFSA etc. for life even if no longer live in the US.)
Don't PRs still have to file for taxes once they move too, I thought I read that somewhere.

Personally, I'd see having to file US taxes from the UK as a good thing - a great reminder that I actually am able to live back in the UK again
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:21 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Don't PRs still have to file for taxes once they move too, I thought I read that somewhere.

Personally, I'd see having to file US taxes from the UK as a good thing - a great reminder that I actually am able to live back in the UK again
Yes I believe they do but not sure of the details.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Ultimately, it was so I never have to deal with USCIS again - that is the biggest benefit for me ...
I got my citizenship the same time as SoS.
For much the same reason. Plus I wanted to be able to vote, but more importantly to us, I have a daughter (from a previous relationship and born in the UK) that I could pass my US citizenship on to automatically, if I became a citizen before she was 18.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:23 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by nethead
I got my citizenship the same time as SoS.
For much the same reason. Plus I wanted to be able to vote, but more importantly to us, I have a daughter (from a previous relationship and born in the UK) that I could pass my US citizenship on to automatically, if I became a citizen before she was 18.
I see a lot of people write this, then I look at the current crop of candidates and think 'why'?

Plus, if Bush II got in twice, doesn't that suggest elections are fixed, rather than democratic?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I see a lot of people write this, then I look at the current crop of candidates and think 'why'?
Well, if you really feel strongly about it you could try getting elected yourself - president is out but pretty much everything else is open to you as a naturalized citizen.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:29 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by md95065
Well, if you really feel strongly about it you could try getting elected yourself - president is out but pretty much everything else is open to you as a naturalized citizen.
Good God no, I ****ing hate politics, I'd rather die.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:20 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. My first opportunity to vote was last week, and I decided not to do so. Both candidates ran campaigns entirely based on trashing their opponent. Entirely. And trashing their opponents history, not their manifesto - though there was no evidence such a thing actually existed. Not one shred of evidence was presented as to why I should vote FOR either candidate.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:27 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Indeed. My first opportunity to vote was last week, and I decided not to do so. Both candidates ran campaigns entirely based on trashing their opponent. Entirely. And trashing their opponents history, not their manifesto - though there was no evidence such a thing actually existed. Not one shred of evidence was presented as to why I should vote FOR either candidate.
I see that a lot here. But this is Illinois, where everyone's bought off beforehand anyway ...
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:51 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, if Bush II got in twice, doesn't that suggest elections are fixed, rather than democratic?
In 2007 we were on a trip to Germany. In Dresden got to talking to a gentleman my age who had grown up in the old GDR -- an interesting discussion. As the conversation progressed, he got into ragging of Dubya and I responded "I voted against the man -- twice." The gentleman then shook my hand and thanked me. A life moment.

I will admit that my family background and those of many of the people I used to represent was that they were glad to sever ties with the home country.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As the conversation progressed, he got into ragging of Dubya and I responded "I voted against the man -- twice." The gentleman then shook my hand and thanked me. A life moment.
Which reinforces the point - if you didn't vote, quit complaining!

While natural born USCs tend to wear their patriotism on their sleeves, are very proud of who they are and would seemingly never consider another citizenship (based on straw poll of umm one in a bar recently), only a very small minority seem to exercise their right to vote. The rest just sit in a corner complaining, which on further reflection does actually seem rather British.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:44 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
In 2007 we were on a trip to Germany. In Dresden got to talking to a gentleman my age who had grown up in the old GDR -- an interesting discussion. As the conversation progressed, he got into ragging of Dubya and I responded "I voted against the man -- twice." The gentleman then shook my hand and thanked me. A life moment.

I will admit that my family background and those of many of the people I used to represent was that they were glad to sever ties with the home country.
I would love to be able to ask the immigrants on both sides of my family why they came here. It would be interesting to hear their answers, it wasn't because of love, or a better job with a housing allowance, etc, etc.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Talking to some of my born and bred USC friends there seems to be something in a lot of them, perhaps the way they were brought up, that makes their citizenship and allegiance to the flag very emotional. I don't know if I'll ever understand it. I don't think Brits in general think the same way about such things.
I still haven't brought myself to do the deed, although I probably will, just to avoid having the periodic run-arounds with renewing the GC. However, me dear old mum, who is well into her 80's, and who has been here for 45 years, cannot be told when I do, as she will consider it a personal failure of my British patriotism.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

but I still don't understand pledging allegiance to a FLAG... to a country, maybe, to principles of democracy or freedom, but to a FLAG? Sorry. If I make the leap, will I have to do it at the oath ceremony?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.