Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on bringing teenager?

Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

GrahamRounce is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Thoughts on bringing teenager?

My wife and I are moving to Florida at the end of this year accompanied by my 16 year old son. I was wondering if any of you moved to Florida with children about the same age as him?
I'd like to know basically how they got on: What problems, pleasures, difficulties, regrets, lack of regrets, etc etc they experienced?

Thanks very much,
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on bringing teenager?

Originally Posted by GrahamRounce
My wife and I are moving to Florida at the end of this year accompanied by my 16 year old son. I was wondering if any of you moved to Florida with children about the same age as him?
I'd like to know basically how they got on: What problems, pleasures, difficulties, regrets, lack of regrets, etc etc they experienced?
Thanks very much,
Depends on your visa ... If its an E-2 ..he won't be here too long ..
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:01 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts....leave him at home, just joking!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:11 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peacelover
Kids his age are all at school for another couple of years. He'll be bored unless he too is going to go to school.

What's the whole picture. Boy / Girl ? At School/College (too early unless international)...

Can you give bigger picture - are they coming excited ? My guess is a 16 year will really get bored fast but there must be more to your thinking, no?
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:16 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Thoughts on bringing teenager?
Well, it's quite a long trip. You might need a snack on the way, so my tip-top-advice is, bring him along.

Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
Depends on your visa ... If its an E-2 ..he won't be here too long ..
Ouch. But true.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Thoughts on bringing teenager?

Thank you all for the replies. To save me rolling my eyes at you individually, consider you've had a communual eye-roll.
No, we will not be using him for food on the flight over (unless we get delayed of course) - who would carry the cases when we arrived?
The sitch is this: I'm a Brit, my son is 1/2 Nigerian by a first marriage, and my wife since 2002's American. She's spent some time here in London, but will shortly be going back to Florida (St Pete area) to prepare for son & I to join her in time for the start of the next school year, after he's taken GCSE's.
He's visited the US several times, and says he is keen to emigrate.
I was just kind of polling really - all kids are different, but I just was wondering how others have settled down? Or, who knows, if they didn't? And if it might be possible for him to maybe exchange some (parentally supervised) emails with others, to chat about how they found it, their experiences, etc?
Thanks,
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

PS - Yes, the plan is that he will attend school and college in America.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Our kids settled fine.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

PS - Yes, the plan is that he will attend school and college in America.
He can drive at that age. That would be an incentive for my one son, especially , and he can get a job if he's got his papers in order. (They need it to pay for their car insurance premiums!!!)

Being near the beach, I'm sure he'd have a blast living in Florida. It might take a while to adjust to the way school runs over here, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Him being a Brit fella, you'll have to get your shotgun out for all the little girls who'll probably be knocking down your door and making your phone ring off the hook, soon enough (btw, most teens over here get their own phones, because you get an extra line for 'free' from your local provider. I grin when I go through the directory and find 'Teenager's Phone' listed under a regular number...)
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:16 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Texas when I was 15, I went a little crazy as I got sooooooo much attention from everyone, guys & girls. Most of the girls wanted to be my friend, the guys wanted to 'date' me & some of the girls wanted to kill me (their boyfriends had wondering eyes!!!)!!! I hung out with the wrong crowd & got in a lot of trouble. Be careful & keep an eye out for any weird behaviour!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:23 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

My kids were fine too....

Oh wait..... I haven't had any kids yet. Crap, it's going to be at least 19 years until I can kick them out. Fricking good for nowt rugrats....
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:25 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously though, having taught over here..... you've got to find some way of keeping them grounded at school. That'll be your biggest challenge.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:28 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Seriously though, having taught over here..... you've got to find some way of keeping them grounded at school. That'll be your biggest challenge.
Is acid a big problem at your school then?!?!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:31 am
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by Partystar
Is acid a big problem at your school then?!?!
Me no deal in edumacations no more....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.