Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

For those who had their parents/other relatives out for an extended stay: how was it?

For those who had their parents/other relatives out for an extended stay: how was it?

Old Oct 1st 2013, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute
Default For those who had their parents/other relatives out for an extended stay: how was it?

My parents recently retired and they're looking into the B2 visa for an extended visit with me. I've got them doing the legwork on the visa, health insurance, etc, so all I have to do is worry about how it might all work out.

My parents, like many tourists, have never spent more than a couple of weeks in the US before. They've visited me a bunch of times, but like I said, never for a long period. For those who've had relatives around for a good chunk of time, how did it go? How did they cope with being in the US for so long? Did they harass you out of boredom, or did they find other things to do with their time? (Mine are planning a month long trip around the US first and then they want to come and see me afterwards.) Did you appreciate having them around? Did they live with you or find an extended stay place? Did they rent a car to get themselves around?

Would love to hear any experiences.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those who had their parents/other relatives out for an extended stay: how was

Logistics is the big thing and looking at the tax thing.

Renting for months at a time seems to be expensive, people seem to recommend renting for shorter periods and getting a new car each time.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:14 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those who had their parents/other relatives out for an extended stay: how was

We have had my in-laws for 6 weeks this year. Although I joke about it, they are no bother really. They don't hire a car and are perfectly happy to potter about the house, in and out of the sun with their kindles/ipad or to tag along with us. We try to pick a few fun things to do each visit and they love to eat out.

Luckily I don't work so I am chief cook and bottle washer for their visits although my mother in law loves to help out and would do a lot more if I let her.

Hubby takes off as much time as he can to be with them and they usually come in the summer hols but this year it was over spring break so my son was off for two weeks while they were here.

We also had an aunt/uncle/cousin for almost three weeks and then another cousin on his own for almost three weeks. All different experiences, my aunt, uncle and cousin were a lot more active and as it was their first visit we did a lot of things the in-laws had done previously and my single cousin went over to New Orleans by himself for 4 nights which split up his visit.

One thing to note, I do not consider these visits 'my holiday' as running after extra folk is quite exhausting, just keeping up conversation with extra people in the house is tiring, so try and get a bit of time for yourselves while they are here. I sometimes make appointments on purpose while they are here just to get a bit of quiet.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It can be tricky depending on circumstances. The first time my folks visited for almost a month we were in a small house at the time both working from home and they didn't rent a car. Big mistake.

The next time we were in a bigger house and I convinced them to get a car. But it was still a bit tense sometimes with them under foot all the time.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:26 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

My inlaws have visited twice for periods of several months each. We've taken them on 1-2 week tours of areas of the USA and spent the bulk of each visit at home. There were plenty of things for them to do locally and my wife drove them wherever they needed or wanted to go.

They were anxious to leave and get back home each time, a couple of months were long enough visits for both of them. I enjoyed having them around, but my wife and her mother live halfway around the world from each other for a reason - it's as far apart as is possible to be. As my wife puts it, there's only room for 1 queen in the castle.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Rose tea
For those who've had relatives around for a good chunk of time, how did it go? How did they cope with being in the US for so long? Did they harass you out of boredom, or did they find other things to do with their time? ... Did you appreciate having them around? Did they live with you or find an extended stay place? Did they rent a car to get themselves around?
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:46 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

In-laws visited us for 5 weeks and don't drive. We had a small house away from everything so booked them into a hotel (we paid) near lots of amenities, although they just had OH drive them to our place every day where they sat and did absolutely nothing. They had no interest in seeing the area - we suggested loads of activities, and OH would offer to take them but they refused.
Thank goodness we were at work otherwise they would have driven me insane - I admit I never actually liked them, but after 5 weeks the feeling was much stronger.
My mother came over for a long-ish period as well, again didn't drive, but was happy to entertain herself during the day if she didn't get a better offer, and took every opportunity to see the area and do loads of shopping!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Hell on earth. But that was because they didn't want to drive and so were basically housebound unless I drove them to wherever they wanted to go, and thought of themselves as a guest rather than just a member of the household - that's hard going when you have someone staying for 6 weeks. They also 'got bored' with packing before they left so brought basically nothing with them and I had to drive them around the shops to buy all the things they'd left behind. This was a few days after I'd had a baby, so I wasn't particularly amused.

Hopefully your guests will be more considerate than mine though. You did ask In all seriousness, it would really depend on whether they were happy to drive themselves around and sightsee and entertain themselves whilst you're working or doing your everyday things, or whether they expect you to entertain and 'host' them.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

OhioLiz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours come for short visits, usually 2 weeks or so, and FIL comes alone as his partner no longer travels (she doesn't do well away from her familiar environment). Our local senior centre, which is within walking distance, allows non-residents to participate in activities, fitness classes, outings, and so that's worth checking out if you have such a place. FIL is an avid bridge/card player and enjoys a stroll up there for a morning of cards--handy when we have to work and gives him something familiar. Last visit he did one of their day trips, which he enjoyed.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Hell on earth.
Yup.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:55 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I just wish someone would come and visit me.

*sniff*
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Hopefully your guests will be more considerate than mine though. You did ask
No, I appreciate the honesty! I don't get on with my parents famously well so that's why I was asking! I think it could work if they were in their own place, rented a car or used the buses, and kept themselves busy. They have a lot of interests and hobbies they're always saying they're desperate for the time and space to do, but I think we've all said stuff like that and still never done those things when we have the option to just slob about instead.

I appreciate all the other replies as well. It's hard to know whether they would do their own thing or just keep dropping by, as it is when they visit they always say they're here to see the sights and will meet up with me "if I have a little spare time"...but that ends up being almost every day they're here
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek

*sniff*
I'll send my Mum over to you
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek

*sniff*
I'll be sure to redirect the guest I discussed above, to your house, if they ever come and stay again!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'll send my Mum over to you
Aww... A loaner.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

My in-laws are brilliant when they come over. They usually stay between 3-4 weeks, they usually rent their own car, but I was working from home the last time they stayed, so they just used mine. They have lots of ideas of where they want to go and what they want to see, even some restaurants they want to try. They also enjoy just chilling out and reading, my FIL will go swimming most days. They are more than happy to make themselves lunch, a drink, nip and get groceries if they want something special or see we are running low on something. Wash-up after themselves, chop things for dinner, I have to stop my MIL running the vacuum around...

They are normally here during the school holidays, so have taken my daughter off for a few days, and we've had little weekends away with them to Napa. TBH they are a joy to have around, and I always miss them terribly when they go home. My FIL has been undergoing cancer treatment, he has just had his final chemo and goes for his scan in a couple of weeks. We have everything crossed he will get the all clear, and as soon as he does they will be booking flights out here to spend Christmas with us. I can't wait.

On the other hand, my Dad came to stay once and was a total PITA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.