Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of taking a Job in Austin / Chicago or San Fran

Thinking of taking a Job in Austin / Chicago or San Fran

Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:54 pm
G33k!

charlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of taking a Job in Austin / Chicago or San Fran

Originally Posted by kodokan
Both companies he's worked at have run it that way, a match in each dollar put in rather than a percentage of salary.

The 32% on the dollar was the legal minimum required - tight company!

We put in the full $18k, so the company adds $9k. Working it through as mentioned above, based on a dollar-for-dollar as a percentage of salary, someone earning a salary of $180k and getting a 5% match would put $9k of their own money in, and get $9k added by the company. Is that how it works? Presumably they could also put in another $9k to bring their own contribution up to the $18k limit, so they end up with $27k invested each year, all told.

It all comes out the same for someone on that sort of salary, but for someone earning, say, $80k, would they only get a contribution of 5% of that, so $4k? Even if they put in the full $18k themselves?
Work said the 401k was one of the best, 6%,wasnt sure if it was or wasn't seems it is
Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlas
Work said the 401k was one of the best, 6%,wasnt sure if it was or wasn't seems it is
Sounds good, given it's presumably 6% of a decent number!

6% of salary for a lower paid drone-type doesn't sound nearly as good a deal, unless I'm misunderstanding how these percentage-based schemes work.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 7:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Both companies he's worked at have run it that way, a match in each dollar put in rather than a percentage of salary.

The 32% on the dollar was the legal minimum required - tight company!

We put in the full $18k, so the company adds $9k. Working it through as mentioned above, based on a dollar-for-dollar as a percentage of salary, someone earning a salary of $180k and getting a 5% match would put $9k of their own money in, and get $9k added by the company. Is that how it works? Presumably they could also put in another $9k to bring their own contribution up to the $18k limit, so they end up with $27k invested each year, all told.

It all comes out the same for someone on that sort of salary, but for someone earning, say, $80k, would they only get a contribution of 5% of that, so $4k? Even if they put in the full $18k themselves?
The company matches (upto) the first x%, so if you have a salary of $100,000 and the company match is 4%, and you put in 2%, then the company puts in a matching 2%. Your taxable gross salary drops to $98,000 and you have $4k in your 401k.

If you put in 4% the numbers all double. .... I you put in 5%, the company chips in the maximum 4%, so your taxable gross drops to $95,000 and you have $9k in your 401k.

I always understood that the dollar cap includes matched funds, so I am surprised about you talking about putting in $18k, and getting a further company match of $9k. You may have not got the tax benefit of all your contributions and/or inadvertently increased your tax bill somewhere.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The company matches (upto) the first x%, so if you have a salary of $100,000 and the company match is 4%, and you put in 2%, then the company puts in a matching 2%. Your taxable gross salary drops to $98,000 and you have $4k in your 401k.

If you put in 4% the numbers all double. .... I you put in 5%, the company chips in the maximum 4%, so your taxable gross drops to $95,000 and you have $9k in your 401k.

I always understood that the dollar cap includes matched funds, so I am surprised about you talking about putting in $18k, and getting a further company match of $9k. You may have not got the tax benefit of all your contributions and/or inadvertently increased your tax bill somewhere.
Nope - I thought that the first year, that the cap was for everything, but it's only actually the employee contribution. The total that can be paid into a 401k annually is actually $50-something thousand, but that requires self-employment or some sort of special scheme.

Edit: yep, it's $18k for employee deferrals ($6k for for over-50s), and $53k for overall deferrals including the employer ones: https://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans...ibution-Limits

Last edited by kodokan; Apr 13th 2016 at 7:16 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 7:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good, given it's presumably 6% of a decent number!

6% of salary for a lower paid drone-type doesn't sound nearly as good a deal, unless I'm misunderstanding how these percentage-based schemes work.
I think you get it, ..... just like 6% free money. Sure 6% of $100k is more than 6% of $50k, but hey ho. ..... I would argue that the true disparity is that someone on $50k might have a much tougher time finding their $3k to contribute than someone on $100k has finding $6k. ...... My tip would be sign up immediately you join the company and contribute your 6% even if the match doesn't kick in until the second year (as mine did), then you'll never miss the money, or at least not as much.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 13th 2016 at 7:22 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 7:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...They want to keep as much of the compensation package as possible as being discretionary, I think. You have to view it overall in terms of salary, bonus, healthcare contribution, 401k matching, etc.
You can't plan your living expenses and life style on the bonus, it is just that and can also easily be zero.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think you get it, ..... just like 6% free money. Sure 6% of $100k is more than 6% of $50k, but hey ho. ..... I would argue that the true disparity is that someone on $50k might have a much tougher time finding their $3k to contribute than someone on $100k has finding $6k. ...... My tip would be sign up immediately you join the company even if the match doesn't kick in until the second year (as mine did), then you'll never miss the money, or at least not as much.
Good advice - one of hubby's colleagues at the old company didn't know there was a one year period of no match; he'd otherwise have signed up straight away but just made nominal contributions for a year while he qualified.

And yes, I like everything deducted where possible, then it's not 'real', and it's like magic money fairies have given Future Us a pot of gold.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 9:03 pm
G33k!

charlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond repute

Cool think I get it now, makes sense, not quite my final salary pension I have in the UK, but hey...
Old Apr 14th 2016, 11:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...1&d=1460675723

so just thought I'd throw this in. Just to make the pain of negotiations easier

This was today's lunch at local Indian restaurant - a Thali. Very delicious. OOPs upside down pic...
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of taking a Job in Austin / Chicago or San Fran-img_20160414_140046.jpg  
Old Apr 15th 2016, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by charlas
Cool think I get it now, makes sense, not quite my final salary pension I have in the UK, but hey...
You have a final salary scheme? I had one for about 18 months back in the 90's before my employer canceled it. Then I had one in the US for about 2-3 years ..... before my employer canceled it.