Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of retiring in the US

Thinking of retiring in the US

Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:02 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of retiring in the US

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Realistic I like to think.

Capitalism's a fine system, but not perfect. Walmart is just a great example to go along with US healthcare to demonstrate it don't always work!
True... but then Walmart employees have the option of getting a job somewhere else if they don't like the conditions
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
True... but then Walmart employees have the option of getting a job somewhere else if they don't like the conditions
Not in the little towns they don't.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:03 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO a dual conversation about the french and Capitalism..... an interesting evening
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:05 am

Why does everybody always bring up Walmart as the personification of Capitalism gone wrong, why not flipping burgers at McDonalds or pumping gas at a Shell station?
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:09 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not when it's the only store for miles around since it bankrupted everyone else. Not when the government encourages the price of wages to drop by providing an apartheid system whereby cheaper foreign workers are given unofficial sanction.

Capitalism doesn't work if there's no true competition. And Wally World and Healthcare are good examples of this. With Wally World I pay $10 less for my groceries and $10 more for my taxes to buy healthcare for those who work there and can't afford it. Makes no freakin sense whatsoever.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:18 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shadowhood
C'mon now guys deep down the French are alright...I'll let you think about that phrase....
I was being sincere. I spent most of my teenage summers in the south of France. I love the place. And I really did have fun with the French - the best kind of fun.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:19 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Not when it's the only store for miles around since it bankrupted everyone else. Not when the government encourages the price of wages to drop by providing an apartheid system whereby cheaper foreign workers are given unofficial sanction.

Capitalism doesn't work if there's no true competition. And Wally World and Healthcare are good examples of this. With Wally World I pay $10 less for my groceries and $10 more for my taxes to buy healthcare for those who work there and can't afford it. Makes no freakin sense whatsoever.
They are also famous for making people work off the clock.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:19 am

LMAO a dual conversation about the french and Capitalism..... an interesting evening

It's dialectics.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by shadowhood
OK so the NHS is starting to sound a bit better...keep talking.....

If only they would open more Walmarts, some Old Navy Shops and turn the heat up a bit then I would stay in Scotland (not forgetting to get rid of the killer midgie).

I refuse to shop at walmart (thats gonna get more expensive soon with the chinese messing with their currency) and Disney....Old navy is ok

i would live in scotalnd and get my sun elsewhere thats what EASYJET is for

my folks both 70 in the UK work part time and go on vacation4-5 a year
this year they have been to Malta 3 times, Cyprus,amd tenerife and they live in a council house!!!!
G
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
They are also famous for making people work off the clock.

It's an essay! Could probably devote a whole thread if not a forum to it. Gb asks why them and not Mickey D's. The answer is they've both pretty bad.

There are ethical companies out there though. On the fast food front, I'd encourage people to look at (and eat at) In-N-Out burger, for example.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's dialectics.
Nothing wrong with my kidneys.......allegedley
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:26 am

There are ethical companies out there though. On the fast food front, I'd encourage people to look at (and eat at) In-N-Out burger, for example.

No chance they would change their name I suppose.......it's a bit offputting.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

It's an essay! Could probably devote a whole thread if not a forum to it. Gb asks why them and not Mickey D's. The answer is they've both pretty bad.

Had in-n-out last night......best burger you can get!!! and real fries
i have toyed with the idea of opening an in-n-out style place in the UK

PS Walmart is for red state mentality people!!
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by garfro

PS Walmart is for red state mentality people!!
Queue up for hours and not know what the queue is for, you mean?
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 2:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
It HAS been covered, many, many times. Can I direct you to the search, sir, it's right this way.... oh bugger it, here's Rays "7-ways" .....
Er, excuse me, but it was my seven ways post - Ray screwed with it some, and eventually added an eighteth (that I disagreed with, ... still do! ), but it was my creation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.