Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Florida

Thinking of Florida

Old Dec 28th 2015, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

TAMARKA81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of Florida

Hi. Me(Polish) and my husband(Irish) and our 5 kids are dreaming to move to Florida. Im scientist and working currently as a care worker. My husband is Manager in Vodafone. We are sick of weather in Northern Ireland, and wanted to emigrate to Australia. However it's a bit fare. Does anyone have any tips?where to start?what to do? What we need first? How does the schools looks like? Aby info will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 8:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of Florida

Hi there! Welcome to BE -

Here is some information on how to emigrate to the US for you to start with...
Come back if you have more questions

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Dec 29th 2015, 1:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a company transfer to the US.

Schools in Florida have a crap reputation
Old Dec 29th 2015, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Get a company transfer to the US.

Schools in Florida have a crap reputation
Entirely deserved.

My sister and her husband live there with their 8 year old - I think she's on her third or fourth school with him, and she's home schooled him for a stretch too. The kid is perfectly normal, intelligent and curious. The schools really don't push the kids along at all. I don't think she has anything positive to say about their system.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TAMARKA81
Hi. Me(Polish) and my husband(Irish) and our 5 kids are dreaming to move to Florida. Im scientist and working currently as a care worker. My husband is Manager in Vodafone. We are sick of weather in Northern Ireland, and wanted to emigrate to Australia. However it's a bit fare. Does anyone have any tips?where to start?what to do? What we need first? How does the schools looks like? Aby info will be appreciated. Thank you.
As petitefrancaise mentioned, you will need to check visa requirements and have you researched job opportunites & salaries vs. cost of living? Regarding weather, you might also be sick of Florida and depends on the location and what you think is good weather. Some parts of Florida get hit by hurricanes and for some people the hot and humid climate is too much. It's not the same heat you'd experience in Poland during summer and a lot wetter. You will also not receive the child benefits you have in the UK including health care etc. If it's just the weather, you might be better of moving to another part of the UK with more sunshine hours, or Wicklow area.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 10:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Find out about visas and jobs first, everything else is a waste of time until then, but you might want look into the cost of health insurance and healthcare expenses not covered by insurance (known as "copays" and "deductibles") before you go much further as you will need a pretty good income to cover those costs for a family of seven.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 1:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a late Christmas present?
Old Dec 29th 2015, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Is this a late Christmas present?
LOL good one
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Saw "Florida". File under grass greener...
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markcst
The gift that keeps on giving..
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markcst
The grass is only greener in Florida because it rains every day at lunchtime for 2 hours. Or at least, it did in that Top Gear special when they went there and Hammond jizzed his pants over his Dodge truck.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The grass is only greener in Florida because it rains every day at lunchtime for 2 hours. .....
I thought it was because the roots reach the water table?
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...which is because....it rains every lunchtime for 2 hours....
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:36 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The rain helps bring the water table closer. Or something like that.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

The rain helps bring the water table closer. Or something like that.
And make most of Florida a sinkhole... which is ironic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.