Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Central Florida - any views on where?

Thinking of Central Florida - any views on where?

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of Central Florida - any views on where?

Ray - not a townie as such - where I live is very leafy, lake-strewn and established. But it also has paved roads, city water and sewer. I'd probably not do too well out in the boonies. Being close to OIA is important for work and I do prefer to have a choice when it comes to other amenities (shopping, entertainment, medical etc.)

anotherlimey - I'm guessing you were drinking on I-Drive or around the 'attractions'. I don't really want to rub shoulders with heavily tattooed, football shirt wearing, shaven-headed morons either. Thankfully our paths never cross, as the closest most of the knuckle-draggers ever get to Orlando is International Drive - an area hardly representative of the city proper.

So it would seem that Orlando isn't quite the hell-hole that it is sometimes portrayed as.

To the OP - I did not come here with children and this would have been a major issue for me. Central FL education is ranked low - unless you are prepared to pay for it, of course.
Summer climate, inland, as mentioned can be a bit oppressive. Weather can get pretty violent too (Lightning strikes FL more than the rest of the US combined, annually).
If you stay out of the ghetto (Parramore, Eatonville, North OBT, Pine Hills) and away from the Tourons (aforementioned Kissimmee/Davenport, short term rental zones) and Hi'billies/Crackers (E. Colonial, Bithlo, Cleremont), Orlando is perfectly safe, clean and pretty.

Coastal FL is very nice too (I'd relocate to Tampa in a heartbeat), but sometimes a bit remote and susceptible to hard hurricane hits, storm-surges etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Debs71 is an unknown quantity at this point

how can i email you? i dont have your email address.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
So it would seem that Orlando isn't quite the hell-hole that it is sometimes portrayed as.
Neither is Miami when you live in a nice part..
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Debs71 is an unknown quantity at this point

wells you seem to have some strong views. what are you refering to when you said cracke
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zebbs
how can i email you? i dont have your email address.
If you click on the poster's name at the left, a drop down menu will offer you some choices, including email.