Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Central Florida - any views on where?

Thinking of Central Florida - any views on where?

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of Central Florida - any views on where?

Originally Posted by Ray
Orlando.. Great for tourist ..not for living ...
Fairly broad statement, that. What is the great aversion to Orlando (not Kissimmee/Davenport/Lake Beuna Vista)?

I've lived in Central FL the thick end of 7 years - and travel extensively throughout the US. On the whole, I've found Orlando to be quite agreeable.
I must be missing some fundamental shortcomings - can someone tell me what they are?
Please - don't bother with hurricanes, tourists, crack dealer v crack dealer gun-play or stiff property taxes, because they seem to be prevalent throughout Florida.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Fairly broad statement, that. What is the great aversion to Orlando (not Kissimmee/Davenport/Lake Beuna Vista)?

I've lived in Central FL the thick end of 7 years - and travel extensively throughout the US. On the whole, I've found Orlando to be quite agreeable.
I must be missing some fundamental shortcomings - can someone tell me what they are?
Please - don't bother with hurricanes, tourists, crack dealer v crack dealer gun-play or stiff property taxes, because they seem to be prevalent throughout Florida.
Mickey F****g Mouse!

Florida is too hot to live in the center, I don't know how you cope without the sea breeze?!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Mickey F****g Mouse!

Florida is too hot to live in the center, I don't know how you cope without the sea breeze?!
omg, did I ever tell you about *camping* inland?!

Don't do it.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I would say..noise ..traffic.. pollution in general..
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:20 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

If either of you plan to work in the US, are the areas you're looking at good for your industries/fields of work? If not, then you should consider parts of the US with both good schools and good opportunities for work.

Those would be my priorities if I were in your shoes.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:13 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
My opinion is that if you move here to get away from something then you will end up being disappointed because most likely the same thing will exist here as well.

I had a friend who was always railing against where he lived. He said he'd be happy if he just wasn't stuck in god-foresaken _____ wherever.

He was miserable at his University.
He then went to law school and was miserable there.
He then spent a year in London and was miserable there.
He then moved to Washington and was miserable there.

I finally pulled him aside and said 'do you know what is the one common denominator in each city that you've been miserable in? YOU!'

Some people just look to location as an excuse for other problems.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Debs71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Thinking of Central Florida - any views on where?

i do not live in the tourist area. its not full of crime like orlando or as busy, crazy drivers.we really dont get all the extreme weather has most of fl does, thats one reason we choose here. inbetween city and country. its a nice place.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still a little puzzled.
Mickey F*****g Mouse lives in Lake Beuna Vista and his fans tend to congregate in Kissimmee, Celebration and Davenport.

It does get a trifle warm in the summer (however it was hotter in Indianapolis and NYC last week). I should also point out that before I quit UK I lived in West Yorkshire, where the summer lasts about three weeks and I routinely had to scrape ice off my windscreen in April. A little sunshine and warmth is very soothing, I find.

Regarding noise, traffic and pollution - yes Orlando has some of that, but certainly no more than Miami, Tampa or Jax. A trade-off for living close to amenities, airport, civilisation, maybe.

So, sadly I'm no closer to discovering why Orlando has such a bad rep. It's not perfect, but where is?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Mickey F*****g Mouse lives in Lake Beuna Vista and his fans tend to congregate in Kissimmee, Celebration and Davenport.

It does get a trifle warm in the summer (however it was hotter in Indianapolis and NYC last week). I should also point out that before I quit UK I lived in West Yorkshire, where the summer lasts about three weeks and I routinely had to scrape ice off my windscreen in April. A little sunshine and warmth is very soothing, I find.

Regarding noise, traffic and pollution - yes Orlando has some of that, but certainly no more than Miami, Tampa or Jax. A trade-off for living close to amenities, airport, civilisation, maybe.

So, sadly I'm no closer to discovering why Orlando has such a bad rep. It's not perfect, but where is?
Seems like your a bit of a Townie ..we not all are...
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Swizz
I also noticed some comments on another forum about a lot of you wanting to come back to the UK. May I ask why?
My hubby is a USC, I lived in SC for 11 years and decided to move back to the UK in 2007, just for my hubby to try it (I missed the countryside, pubs etc oh and family!), we weren't losing anything by leaving at that time, and it'll put the "I wonder if" thoughts at rest (hopefuly once and for all!), both places have good and bad points, most important thing is where is best for you as a family, whats important to you. We are planning our move back to the US looks like early 09. I think I could be quite happy in either place, both have things the other doesn't, and since being an expat you appreciate things alittle more..

Sorry don't know anything about Florida..

Good Luck
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Swizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scbrit
My hubby is a USC, I lived in SC for 11 years and decided to move back to the UK in 2007, just for my hubby to try it (I missed the countryside, pubs etc oh and family!), we weren't losing anything by leaving at that time, and it'll put the "I wonder if" thoughts at rest (hopefuly once and for all!), both places have good and bad points, most important thing is where is best for you as a family, whats important to you. We are planning our move back to the US looks like early 09. I think I could be quite happy in either place, both have things the other doesn't, and since being an expat you appreciate things alittle more..

Sorry don't know anything about Florida..

Good Luck
Some very interesting information here, thank you all.

I have lived in the US a few times over the years so I kind of know what I'm letting myself in for, although at the time I was young and single and my priorities are obviously different now.

For those of you who mention the schools aren't too good in Florida, would that be compared to the rest of the US or the UK (hahahahah). I'm sure you still get UK news over there. We would also be very prepared to move 'in country' if we found Florida wasn't the right place for us.

For those of you hightlighting the difficulties you can encounter as a couple, I'll point out that my husband is Thai and has only lived in the UK for 5 years. He has an ILR visa for the UK, which I also have. My son has Thai and British passports. So with that in mind, he's happy to try the US. He's seen it in the movies. LOL.

Zebbs, thanks for your offer. I'd love to discuss it further. Can you email me via my (pretty non-existent) profile?

Thanks all so much. Keep it coming!
x
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:50 am
Just Joined

I didn't mean to reply including scbrit's post. Don't know how to work this thing!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm sure the non-tourist areas are OK, but last time I went the bars were full of drunk sunburnt chavs which decreased my enjoyment of that trip somewhat.

Other than that, in Florida, I much prefer having the ocean nearby.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swizz
I'll point out that my husband is Thai and has only lived in the UK for 5 years. He has an ILR visa for the UK, which I also have. My son has Thai and British passports. So with that in mind, he's happy to try the US.
You should both consider taking UK citizenship before you leave to keep all your options open. There is no longer any great issue with US authorities in this respect (see: www.richw.org/dualcit).

I have no idea how Thailand views it -- but since your son will automatically become a US citizen on entry (and must thereafter use a US passport to enter), it might be a good idea to research it.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You should both consider taking UK citizenship before you leave to keep all your options open. There is no longer any great issue with US authorities in this respect (see: www.richw.org/dualcit).

I have no idea how Thailand views it -- but since your son will automatically become a US citizen on entry (and must thereafter use a US passport to enter), it might be a good idea to research it.
I will get my UK passport before leaving (entitlement), but hubby won't. Bit of a mare for him. I'm assuming I'd always be able to get him back into the UK if necessary, since I will have a British passport and so does his son - but I could be wrong. I will find out about the Thai aspect of it as well. Thanks. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.