Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thinking about purchasing a home in Miami

Thinking about purchasing a home in Miami

Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about purchasing a home in Miami

Originally Posted by AirborneBrads271
Hi there people, my first post here so excuse me being naive and asking a few questions.

I am a 30 year old single male who has a 30k plus income. I'm employed in the Forces and no home in the UK, I'm currently thinking about buying a holiday home in Miami near South Beach as I have numerous friends over there and like the area. (Who wouldn't?!).

How easy is it to get a mortgage?
What are the pit falls?
Has anyone done this before and has advice?
Anyone who wants to save most of that 30k a year?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
It's perfectly possible for a person to offer advice without being unnecessarily confrontational.

Too many people on here seem to take a little bit too much pleasure in trying to get other people's backs up. They would never behave like that if they were talking to the other person in the flesh so why behave like an a$$hole just because they are online? Smacks of cowardly bullying to me.
I don't think they were being mean. You can't always sugarcoat honesty. Criticism can be a constructive thing also. Doesn't always have to be negative.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
According to the OP, he doesn't have a 1st home.

Rene
That doesn't make sense. He wants to own a primary residence in a country where he probably won't be able to emigrate to in the coming years? That's not gonna look good at the POE....

In any case, www.remax.com there's a good resource for you to take a look at, OP. You can search entire counties too if you'd like. Just keep in mind that most, if not all Brits that are not permanent residents in the U.S. own SECOND homes in Miami, not primary homes like you want. But anyway, look up some properties, they also list the amount of property taxes you'd pay every year. Would you be able to afford a US mortgage (credit-based of course), pay the property tax which I found to average $3000 a year, plus the $1000 a month in homeowners'insurance? Lest you want to risk a hurricane damaging your property and you losing your investment
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
I don't think they were being mean. You can't always sugarcoat honesty. Criticism can be a constructive thing also. Doesn't always have to be negative.

That doesn't make sense. He wants to own a primary residence in a country where he probably won't be able to emigrate to in the coming years? That's not gonna look good at the POE....

In any case, www.remax.com there's a good resource for you to take a look at, OP. You can search entire counties too if you'd like. Just keep in mind that most, if not all Brits that are not permanent residents in the U.S. own SECOND homes in Miami, not primary homes like you want. But anyway, look up some properties, they also list the amount of property taxes you'd pay every year. Would you be able to afford a US mortgage (credit-based of course), pay the property tax which I found to average $3000 a year, plus the $1000 a month in homeowners'insurance? Lest you want to risk a hurricane damaging your property and you losing your investment
$1k/month for homeowners insurance? I had not heard that before.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
$1k/month for homeowners insurance? I had not heard that before.
Click here for average insurance rates

The state government has a website listing average insurance rates for a particular county. Yes I gasped at Miami-Dade too

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Dec 17th 2009 at 7:54 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

sh-swfl is a jewel in the roughsh-swfl is a jewel in the roughsh-swfl is a jewel in the roughsh-swfl is a jewel in the roughsh-swfl is a jewel in the rough

as others mentioned - homeowners insurance is not so cheap - and in FL you need additional hurricane and flood insurance. you'll also need to be paying property taxes. if it's a condo/apartment, you'll be paying monthly condo fees. if it's a house, then you'd need someone to maintain it and/or make sure it;s not broken into and that the lawn is fine, and it's not overrun by bugs etc.

...and i assume that if you want to live in miami, you're really after the more beachy areas....so the initial sale price is not cheap.

- without a visa, you are limited to short trips and at the mercy of the immigration people if you have too many visits or too long visits or they "think" you may be trying to work.

...you may well find it a lot more economical sense to stay in hotels or do rentals when you come into the country...that also means you could try other places as well as miami.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

The state government has a website listing average insurance rates for a particular county. Yes I gasped at Miami-Dade too
I pay that amount for one full year!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:23 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Considering your age and lack of ties to the UK
Ian,

You don't think that his being in the UK military (he says he is in the Forces) they would see that as strong ties to the UK?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You don't think that his being in the UK military (he says he is in the Forces) they would see that as strong ties to the UK?
He may have strong ties to the armed forces, but "home" is where you're told to be - and that pretty much means an itinerant lifestyle... especially for a young, single man. You may be right... immigration may see this as strong ties; I'm not as optimistic.

Ian
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

A condo would be cheaper. Probably a better fit for him too.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It would as a previous poster said, but he also has to consider additional insurance like separate hurricane and flood insurance. Condos cover some damage through your condo fees, but they certainly do not cover 100% of your damages. With the cost of owning a place in Miami on 30k, it makes more sense to just staying at a hotel. That's a lot of people that earn 30k in the Miami area, and none of them live in a condo, they all live in Hialeah and other places. That's what we're trying to say.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just suggest "try before buy"?

Sure you have visited the US, maybe even for a few weeks at a time, but you'l come to discover spending 2-3 months in the US is quite a bit different than 2-3 weeks. The stuff that doesn't bother you during short stays comes up big during an extended period, like homeowners insurance, utility costs, traffic, hurricanes, killer snakes and insects, etc.

If you could rent for a few months down there and see if you like it you might find yourself in a better position when it comes time to buying (i.e. you'll know what neighborhoods, where you friends are, your local pub, etc).
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...but condo charges can be expensive...they are like a mortgage payment in themselves.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It would as a previous poster said, but he also has to consider additional insurance like separate hurricane and flood insurance. Condos cover some damage through your condo fees, but they certainly do not cover 100% of your damages. With the cost of owning a place in Miami on 30k, it makes more sense to just staying at a hotel. That's a lot of people that earn 30k in the Miami area, and none of them live in a condo, they all live in Hialeah and other places. That's what we're trying to say.
Condo insurance isn't that much, hurricane insurance included. It's the condo management fee that will kill him!

I think you mean no one living on £30k lives on South Beach; well they do just not in the nice part.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree...but condo charges can be expensive...they are like a mortgage payment in themselves.
I met someone who was paying $800/month for the condo management fee, and that isn't the "high-end" either!

Last edited by anotherlimey; Dec 18th 2009 at 1:51 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Condo insurance isn't that much, hurricane insurance included. It's the condo management fee that will kill him!

I think you mean no one living on £30k lives on South Beach; well they do just not in the nice part.

I met someone who was paying $800/month for the condo management fee, and that isn't a "high-end" either!
We were looking at condos on Clearwater Beach in the summer...$1K to $2K per month condo fees and almost the same for property taxes.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We were looking at condos on Clearwater Beach in the summer...$1K to $2K per month condo fees and almost the same for property taxes.
Crazy isn't it. I guess they have to pay the building insurance and that has skyrocketed over the past few years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.