British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Things you should do before you emigrate ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/things-you-should-do-before-you-emigrate-634455/)

orangemirror Oct 8th 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 8001125)
If you cook/bake a lot, buy plastic measuring jugs and spoons to use for your British recipes.

Yeah! Great idea that.
I'll get my parents to bring some over for me next time they come. I'm always trying to convert stuff and it's a pain.
When I first came here, whenever i saw in a recipe for a cup of something. I would literally get a tea cup and use that. i didn't realise a cup was a specific measurement. Why the hell don't they weigh stuff over here?

Bob Oct 8th 2009 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by chocchipcookie (Post 8000204)
I would be wary of UK vaccinations: I had my son vaccinated in the UK only to find when I got here (Ohio) that those shots weren't 'acceptable' and I had to get some of them re-done. If I were you I would wait until I got here and go to my local county health dept and get them done for $5.00 each. That's the cost round here, anyway and you just walk in. Then you know they're OK.

titre test should show your covered and good for most things.

$5 a shot ain't bad if you can get it....chickenpox jab without insurance is $350 and a tetanus is $280 down my way.

Ozzidoc Oct 8th 2009 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by orangemirror (Post 8001208)
Yeah! Great idea that.
I'll get my parents to bring some over for me next time they come. I'm always trying to convert stuff and it's a pain.
When I first came here, whenever i saw in a recipe for a cup of something. I would literally get a tea cup and use that. i didn't realise a cup was a specific measurement. Why the hell don't they weigh stuff over here?

LOL - it's actually worse than that! A UK measuring cup is different to a US cup which is different again to an Oz cup :blink:

I think that it was MsElui's idea originally. Brilliant one :)

N1cky Oct 8th 2009 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by orangemirror (Post 8001208)
Yeah! Great idea that.

It drives me crazy. It's all ok when its a cup of milk or sugar, but how the hell do you get 1/2 cup of butter. Do you have to press it all down into the cup to get a perfect measurement, then you can't get it all back out of the cup to put in your bowl:banghead:

My baking is bad enough without adding this hassle to it:o

benblaney Oct 8th 2009 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by travelleruk (Post 7997234)
So do you have a list of things that one shouldn't forget to do before leaving the UK ?

Cancel the milk.

meauxna Oct 8th 2009 9:26 pm

If you look on the butter stick wrapper, the measures are marked. :)

N1cky Oct 8th 2009 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8001292)
If you look on the butter stick wrapper, the measures are marked. :)

Yeah I'd noticed that, and thats fine when its a nice new block, not so much use after hubby and kids have mangled it.:frown:

meauxna Oct 8th 2009 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8001329)
Yeah I'd noticed that, and thats fine when its a nice new block, not so much use after hubby and kids have mangled it.:frown:

Freeze one for reference? Save a wrapper til you get the hang of it? (hey, I'm *trying* here! :lol:)

The Horticulturalist Oct 8th 2009 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8001329)

then you end up like me with little bits of 'sticks' all over the fridge as I keep cutting the mangled ends off! :eek:

N1cky Oct 8th 2009 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8001400)
Freeze one for reference? Save a wrapper til you get the hang of it? (hey, I'm *trying* here! :lol:)

You're just too organized Meauxna. Plus, i'm not posh enough to use butter half the time, what do I do with margarine:huh:

meauxna Oct 8th 2009 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8001508)
You're just too organized Meauxna. Plus, i'm not posh enough to use butter half the time, what do I do with margarine:huh:

The margarine sticks are also marked?

butter/marg is often also measured in Tablespoons in recipes that I have seen. When I have a recipe that calls for more than a couple of Tblsp, I buy a stick, or look at one when I'm in the store.

But seriously, how do I do it (I am NOT organized, don't bake or cook and only have butter on hand at Xmas season btw)? How do I manage? The same way I do almost everything now.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+much+is+1%2F2+cup+of+butter :lol:

N1cky Oct 9th 2009 12:04 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8001544)
The margarine sticks are also marked?

butter/marg is often also measured in Tablespoons in recipes that I have seen. When I have a recipe that calls for more than a couple of Tblsp, I buy a stick, or look at one when I'm in the store.

But seriously, how do I do it (I am NOT organized, don't bake or cook and only have butter on hand at Xmas season btw)? How do I manage? The same way I do almost everything now.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+much+is+1%2F2+cup+of+butter :lol:

You see you are posh, I didn't even know you could get marge in sticks, it only comes in tubs in my house:lol:

How did we do ANYTHING before the internet:unsure:

meauxna Oct 9th 2009 12:35 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8001566)
You see you are posh, I didn't even know you could get marge in sticks, it only comes in tubs in my house:lol:

I don't freakin know how we got along before.. it's amazing really. You'd think I would use all the free space in my brain for something useful, or good for humanity or something, but nooooooo. I waste it learning facebook...

Marge comes in tubs in this house too, I just happen to know that it comes in stix too :o
Like I said tho, it's mostly a moot point as far as I'm concerned. Why do you think I married a Brit? So HE could do all the cooking! :thumbsup:

The Horticulturalist Oct 9th 2009 1:07 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8001566)

Before? I've got nothing done SINCE the internet, as a result my ironing pile is the only mountain in Mississippi ;)

Sharron_ Oct 9th 2009 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 8001250)
LOL - it's actually worse than that! A UK measuring cup is different to a US cup which is different again to an Oz cup :blink:

I think that it was MsElui's idea originally. Brilliant one :)

I never knew that a US cup was different to a UK cup!! (Don't tell me...the US cup is bigger!!!)