British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Things you should do before you emigrate ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/things-you-should-do-before-you-emigrate-634455/)

Ozzidoc Oct 9th 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Things you should do before you emigrate ?

Originally Posted by Sharron_ (Post 8004020)
I never knew that a US cup was different to a UK cup!! (Don't tell me...the US cup is bigger!!!)

LOL

According to the following link, I was wrong about the Oz cup size. Hmmm.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/conve...converter.html

chrisfromusa Oct 9th 2009 6:40 pm

I never knew that a US cup was different to a UK cup!! (Don't tell me...the US cup is bigger!!!)

1 US cup is 0.06 cups bigger than the metric :P

MsElui Oct 9th 2009 9:53 pm

a cup is 8 fl oz - (half a us pint). a uk pint is 20 fl oz - the us version is only 16.

Sharron_ Oct 9th 2009 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 8004613)
a cup is 8 fl oz - (half a us pint). a uk pint is 20 fl oz - the us version is only 16.

So if we order a pint of beer here, we are getting ripped off!!!

Sally Redux Oct 9th 2009 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sharron_ (Post 8004633)
So if we order a pint of beer here, we are getting ripped off!!!

And a gallon of gas.

Did you sort out your green cards?

Sharron_ Oct 9th 2009 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8004642)
And a gallon of gas.

Did you sort out your green cards?

I am going to the USCIS tomorrow.

As a last resort I will get her citizenship if all else fails. My hubby...her daddy is a USC.

Poppy girl Oct 9th 2009 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sharron_ (Post 8004699)
I am going to the USCIS tomorrow.

As a last resort I will get her citizenship if all else fails. My hubby...her daddy is a USC.

Good luck its Saturday ;)

SarahG Oct 11th 2009 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 7997307)
3. Douse yourself in water and then stand in front of a hot oven with the door open and a pair of mouse ears on, that should help you get acclimatised to Orlando.

:rofl:

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7997393)
I always hit the John before any long trip.

:lol:

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 8000351)
Prior to our move to the US last year, I spoke to the nurse at our dr's surgery about the hep b vaccine for my son and she advised us to wait until we got to the US as we didn't have enough time to complete the course of 3 before we left.

She said that in some places, it's advised that the whole course is from the same vaccine manufacturer - maybe if we had started the course, we wouldn't have been able to continue, but would have had to start from scratch?

God don't say that! My son has had his 1st dose of Hep B and getting 2nd dose in 2 weeks then the final in US. Nurse here made no mention of there being any problems with starting it in UK and finishing in US. I am waiting for them to remember that they said they would charge me for the shots and medical. No bill yet! :thumbsup:

travelleruk Oct 11th 2009 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by travelleruk (Post 7997234)
...I'm moving to Orlando, Florida, USA in a couple of months from the UK. I'm organising and planning the move and want to make sure i'm not missing anything off my list of 'tasks to complete in the UK before I leave'.

Just wondering about those people who have already done an international move...is there anything you wish you'd done BEFORE you left the UK that you wish you had ?

Just for example..somebody who had moved abroad said he'd wished he'd applied for his International Driving Licence while he was still in the UK. Another said they'd wished they'd done more shopping for clothes in the UK because US fashion is so different...

So do you have a list of things that one shouldn't forget to do before leaving the UK ?

Thanks for all your responses. I have a green card so visa's arent an issue...and no kids. I'll look for a job once I arrive. So if anybody has any more "things i wish i'd done before i left the UK" tips...I'm all ears !

Philgr Oct 14th 2009 10:38 pm

Only in LA and Dallas ;)

Poppy girl Oct 14th 2009 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by travelleruk (Post 8008792)
Thanks for all your responses. I have a green card so visa's arent an issue...and no kids. I'll look for a job once I arrive. So if anybody has any more "things i wish i'd done before i left the UK" tips...I'm all ears !

If you are single, and have a GC the worlds your oyster.

gingerkitten Oct 15th 2009 3:51 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 7998249)
eat bacon or sausage sandwiches for EVERY meal between now and then - so you are truely sick of the sight of them by the time you leave - then you will not miss them so much when your over here!

THIS might have to be the best advice I have ever seen, ever! Had I known how much I would be pining for a few rashers of back bacon between a couple of slices of Mother's Pride (umm, actually I don't think I've bought Mother's Pride more than about twice in my life, but you know what I mean) once I moved here, I would've been sure to force-feed myself bacon sarnies until I could never stomach another of the things again. Ever.

Same goes for the sausages. I never even liked sausages all that much until I moved here, never bought them, never wanted them, couldn't care less. Now... I'm pretty much salivating at the thought of a proper pork sausage, ANY proper pork sausage, even the crappy ones from the corner shop or the Esso station, with lots of HP and... uhhh, actually I AM salivating. :o

Ozzidoc Oct 16th 2009 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Zonie (Post 7997370)
This is a very usefull website for alternative phone numbers.

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Use the search facility in the top left.

Unfortunately this was no help - three different numbers I tried were not for the organisation I was attempting to contact. :(