Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things I might regret or forget to bring from UK...

Re driving licences, I know Americans can drive in the UK on a US driver's licence for 1 year (one year from arriving to live, not from your last trip home like some conveniently think!) so I'd have thought the arrangement might be reciprocal.

International licence is no use, they are mainly for people from countries where the licence isn't in English.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
I bought a barebones PC shortly after arriving, and re-burned the music to disc. Yeah, the music part is wrong.
Not under US law! The DMCA allows you to burn backup copies of CDs you legally own, provided it's for your own use.

Ian
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katybluewater
Also - get an International drivers licence - you can drive on this for a year - which gives you time to sort out your driving test etc here.
Total waste of time and money unless your driver's license is in some language other than English.

Ian
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:35 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not sure how practical it is to bring duvets from the UK...especially as they are so bulky. When we first moved here in '96 I had a terrible time trying to find a duvet and cover...now they are much more readily available. We have down duvets...you can even get them from Home Goods/Marshals/TJMax, Costco, Bed, Bath and Beyond and most of the large department stores.

I do agree with you about duvet covers...not a great deal of choice and some aren't suitable for the washing machine.

Here is a list of US vs UK bed sizes.
Hey .. Jerseygirl... can you tell me which Bed Bath & Beyond you used.. willing to travel... the IDIOTS in the Memphis area had displays of covers in one place, displays of duvets in another and absolutely no one in the store that could correlate the two things. When asked why the covers were way off in the sizes to the duvets they were stocking, we were told to wash the duvet and hang it so would stretch?!?!?! ... if you really want to throw them ask for the TOG rating. Macys and JCP no better round here either!!!!!

thanks for the conversion chart

As far as bringing things over... I think the best answer is to have a relative with an attic who is willing to store all your small stuff and willing to mail it when asked.. several small ornaments and memories I miss ... but you dont realise it at the time of moving. Medical records a must & keep enough money in a bank if you can to pay for airfares back to the UK (this one sounds weird but I have always had peace of mind knowing that if it all went wrong (for whatever reason) I could always fly back and start over... never needed it but have slept soundly on my Barclays debit card for many years!!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
M&S also deliver to the US...I'm expecting a delivery this week...clothes not bedding.

Are you sure you can drive on an International Driving license for 1 year?
that's what we were told byGeico......
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not under US law! The DMCA allows you to burn backup copies of CDs you legally own, provided it's for your own use.

Ian
I think the dodgy area is taking the original CDs to the Used CD store - i.e., not having the originals any more.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Are you hinting that this is actually illegal in the UK? If so, then I'm in trouble. All of my music has been ripped from CDs, which I bought, and then sold the CDs to a store (why keep them after you've ripped them?). I will be taking the music with me to the UK on my harddrive.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Re driving licences, I know Americans can drive in the UK on a US driver's licence for 1 year (one year from arriving to live, not from your last trip home like some conveniently think!) so I'd have thought the arrangement might be reciprocal.

International licence is no use, they are mainly for people from countries where the licence isn't in English.
There a reciprocal agreement. It is called the Geneva Convention on Driving Licenses, and the US is a signatory to it.

Unfortunately for us the vast majority of States choose to ignore it and require people to abide by rules they set in place. To my knowledge it has never been tested in court if the State rules override a 1949 treaty signed by the Federal government.

As to another comment on international driving licenses. All they are are a translation of a persons domestic license into several other languages. They are not valid as a driving license on their own, and the domestic license must be produced with them. They are not required in the US for a UK license holder, and have no value.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattw89
I currently live with parents
And were born in 1989?

I didnt get much relocation, 7k$.
That's $7K more than I got

All i have on my list is clothes :S
I'd leave it at that! I came over with one (small) suitcase and my snowboard.

I'm sure there'll be other stuff, but i doubt i'll return to the UK for another year or two.
In the grand scheme of things, this is a very short period of time - I would pack for it like a holiday. If you bring anything of great value, you are just going to have to lug it home in a minute.

Also things that i may want that aren't available here in the USA but do not no yet...
Honestly, it sounds like you are young, footloose and fancy-free. Just come with the basics and immerse yourself!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such agreement with the US...the length of time you can drive using a UK license varies from state to state. In maybe 30 days...it may be longer. Look at the DMV website for your state.
Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
Hey .. Jerseygirl... can you tell me which Bed Bath & Beyond you used.. willing to travel... the IDIOTS in the Memphis area had displays of covers in one place, displays of duvets in another and absolutely no one in the store that could correlate the two things. When asked why the covers were way off in the sizes to the duvets they were stocking, we were told to wash the duvet and hang it so would stretch?!?!?! ... if you really want to throw them ask for the TOG rating. Macys and JCP no better round here either!!!!!

thanks for the conversion chart

As far as bringing things over... I think the best answer is to have a relative with an attic who is willing to store all your small stuff and willing to mail it when asked.. several small ornaments and memories I miss ... but you dont realise it at the time of moving. Medical records a must & keep enough money in a bank if you can to pay for airfares back to the UK (this one sounds weird but I have always had peace of mind knowing that if it all went wrong (for whatever reason) I could always fly back and start over... never needed it but have slept soundly on my Barclays debit card for many years!!
I didn't get mine from BB&B...but you can always look on their website.

I've found the duvet covers I've bought here have fitted the US duvets. The problem is the washing instructions say wash in cold water...nothing about drying. I put them in the dryer on low and they shrank. If you let them air dry they are wrinkled. I have matching sheets and the same applies. Nothing like the M&S and other UK bedding...which is easy to wash and dry (without creases).

Most bedding for UK king beds will fill a US queen apart from the fitted sheet and valance...because the US bed is longer.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:24 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Target now have a good range of foam filled and down filled duvets and covers just bought one!
Target can be dangerous! They finally opened up one in Manhattan. In the same building as Costco about a mile and a half from my apartment! I love both stores.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:26 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My husband would agree on the chocolate! my inlaws are coming over in July and he asked for tons of chocolate.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:49 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

[I didn't get mine from BB&B...but you can always look on their website.

I've found the duvet covers I've bought here have fitted the US duvets. The problem is the washing instructions say wash in cold water...nothing about drying. I put them in the dryer on low and they shrank. If you let them air dry they are wrinkled. I have matching sheets and the same applies. Nothing like the M&S and other UK bedding...which is easy to wash and dry (without creases).

Most bedding for UK king beds will fill a US queen apart from the fitted sheet and valance...because the US bed is longer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.. the wife very much appreciates it.. will also try M & S to see how that works... She is USC and even she gets frustrated at the poor quality of sales staff round here
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:05 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

There's theory, and then there's reality.

I 'landed' in PA originally and their DMV website states:

Pennsylvania honors a valid foreign driver’s license with an international driving permit for a period of up to one year. If the foreign license and/or international permit expires before one year, the individual must apply for a Pennsylvania learner’s permit to continue to drive in this state.
It doesn't say anything about the language of the original license. Rightly or wrongly, but it is what many other people you deal with base things on.

At various stages of buying a car and insuring a car in the first few weeks there I was asked for the IDL. Maybe I didn't actually need it, but the people asking for it believed I did. Simply sighing and handing it over removed a lot of hassles and stress at a time when they were least desirable. It moved things forward smoothly. I take the view that the small amount of money spent on an IDL might make life a lot easier. Whether it is worth that is an individual choice, and is going to vary by state and by the person behind the desk and what they believe. It is that last factor, the individual behind the desk, that is important.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
There's theory, and then there's reality.

I 'landed' in PA originally and their DMV website states:

It doesn't say anything about the language of the original license. Rightly or wrongly, but it is what many other people you deal with base things on.

At various stages of buying a car and insuring a car in the first few weeks there I was asked for the IDL. Maybe I didn't actually need it, but the people asking for it believed I did. Simply sighing and handing it over removed a lot of hassles and stress at a time when they were least desirable. It moved things forward smoothly. I take the view that the small amount of money spent on an IDL might make life a lot easier. Whether it is worth that is an individual choice, and is going to vary by state and by the person behind the desk and what they believe. It is that last factor, the individual behind the desk, that is important.
But that's only for PA residents...Katybluewater said 'get an International drivers licence - you can drive on this for a year' in reply to someone who will be living in Seattle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.