Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Things to do before we leave UK - When we arrive in the US

Things to do before we leave UK - When we arrive in the US

Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do before we leave UK - When we arrive in the US

Originally Posted by made of kent
child benefit, I phoned them and they said I can have payment if it is a year only?, I said well, how can we tell? he could be made redundant, and she said "claim it for the year, then get back to us, it is you right", so that is what I am doing.
Odd advice... if after the year you stay are you meant to give a year's worth of payment back?

That's a rhetorical question Just seems a touch odd.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:11 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Odd advice... if after the year you stay are you meant to give a year's worth of payment back?

That's a rhetorical question Just seems a touch odd.
No you are not made to pay back, and that wasn't a rhetorical question? I never said you had to pay it back???, it to do with intent as far as I could tell, so on a Visa, where loss of job could send you straight back home, secondments ect, you can claim for a year, change of nationality such as becoming USC, then no, your not intending coming home
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:16 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

def for this advice, I have loads of atora, and grab some mixed dried fruit as well.
Pataks can be found in the local asian store, at least in my neck of the woods.
can't muliquote, but child benefit, I phoned them and they said I can have payment if it is a year only?, I said well, how can we tell? he could be made redundant, and she said "claim it for the year, then get back to us, it is you right", so that is what I am doing.
just read through and the "get back to us! means, cancel the payments, not pay back, sorry if that was confusing.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

just read through and the "get back to us! means, cancel the payments, not pay back, sorry if that was confusing.
Looking at the child benefit website -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...fies/DG_173532

if I'm reading that correctly, they will pay the first 8 weeks if you 'expect to be out of the uk for less than 52 weeks'.

Our visa is for 3 years, and yes my husband could be sent home at any time. However, we do expect to be here for more than 52 weeks so I notified HMRC and and stopped the child benefit payments.

I'm not sure what the situation is if they feel they have overpaid you ie what they could do to recover any overpayments?
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Take time to smell the roses! what I mean is take a little time to visit your favourite places you take them for granted now but in a few weeks you will be missing them.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Defintiley take the opportunity now to visit everywhere that you would like to before you leave that you have not been able to. For instance, today I took my children to London and we stood along the Pall Mall and saw the Queen go past after Trooping of the Colour and then followed the procession down to Buckingham Palace and watched the RAF flyover. Then we went to BBC Television Centre and went on a tour and saw Graham Norton
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:29 pm
member of little note

Originally Posted by rebs
Looking at the child benefit website -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...fies/DG_173532

if I'm reading that correctly, they will pay the first 8 weeks if you 'expect to be out of the uk for less than 52 weeks'.

Our visa is for 3 years, and yes my husband could be sent home at any time. However, we do expect to be here for more than 52 weeks so I notified HMRC and and stopped the child benefit payments.

I'm not sure what the situation is if they feel they have overpaid you ie what they could do to recover any overpayments?
we don't expect to be here for that amount of time, lay offs all the time, I spoke to someone at the child benefits place, explained my problem, 3 year visa ect, and he said, I could claim for a year? and if I was home for any length of time I could claim again? I am not saying I know the law just repeating what I was told.
I also ended back in the UK for 3 months, and got back to them, as it was big in the UK news at that point that EU immigrates (polish ect) where allowed to claim for children abroad, and this is true to a point!
so my claim, as far as they are telling me, and my understanding? can go on for another year?
and if I stay here? what are they going to do? I will tell them after the year, because, I don't do anything illegal even if I thought I could get away with it!
get this I did the child tax credit thing...so complicated
anywho (sic) and we got a letter saying we are putting £10,000 into your account? why? we tried to stop it! £4,000 had gone in! tits! god knows what they where thinking.
Its a working tax credit? they gave us that money because they put our earnings as £0!!
I tried to point out its "a working tax credit" so if our earnings according to you are "0 then thats not earnings!, so why the big pay out?" tits! gave up claiming, paidback, but never got our twin payout of £500!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:36 pm
member of little note

that's a mangled reply! but for give me
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Quite interesting.

And by rhetorical I just meant you shouldn't feel obligated to provide an answer... but you did, so even better
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

things to do before and then arrive ................. PRAY !!..
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

danicrun is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're renting out a UK property whilst you're overseas, don't forget to fill out a NRL-1 to get your rental income paid gross (ie without deduction of income tax).

Also, if you're working for a UK employer and planning to be in the US for less than 6-years, consider applying for a Certificate of Continuing Liability (Form CA322) so that you can continue to pay NI in the UK rather than pay Social Security & Medicare here.

Think about private medical insurance too.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:31 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

we don't expect to be here for that amount of time, lay offs all the time, I spoke to someone at the child benefits place, explained my problem, 3 year visa ect, and he said, I could claim for a year? and if I was home for any length of time I could claim again? I am not saying I know the law just repeating what I was told.
I also ended back in the UK for 3 months, and got back to them, as it was big in the UK news at that point that EU immigrates (polish ect) where allowed to claim for children abroad, and this is true to a point!so my claim, as far as they are telling me, and my understanding? can go on for another year?
and if I stay here? what are they going to do? I will tell them after the year, because, I don't do anything illegal even if I thought I could get away with it!
anywho (sic) and we got a letter saying we are putting £10,000 into your account? why? we tried to stop it! £4,000 had gone in! tits! god knows what they where thinking.
Its a working tax credit? they gave us that money because they put our earnings as £0!!
I tried to point out its "a working tax credit" so if our earnings according to you are "0 then thats not earnings!, so why the big pay out?" tits! gave up claiming, paidback, but never got our twin payout of £500!
I am not sure I understand the rest of your post, but the Polish people claiming child benefit had to be living and working in the UK (even if their children were living in Poland) to be able to claim - basically they were paying into the UK system and the exact location of their kids was immaterial.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I also ended back in the UK for 3 months, and got back to them, as it was big in the UK news at that point that EU immigrates (polish ect) where allowed to claim for children abroad, and this is true to a point!
so my claim, as far as they are telling me, and my understanding? can go on for another year?
Child tax Credit people paid you £10K?! For what reason?
HMRC are a bit stupid. I am due a tax rebate but the tax office dealing with me have a 3 week backlog in opening their mail! I sent them my P60's on June 1 .I am not going to find out how much I will get back until July.