Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

And they wonder why they get unfit ?

And they wonder why they get unfit ?

Old May 30th 2006, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And they wonder why they get unfit ?

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
or what about the obese people in the likes of wally world riding round on those battery operated trollies? Get up and walk more than a couple of feet a day, any excuse to sit down with some of them. Boils my blood sometimes! Fat F**king Americans, think they own the world (well what they know of it anyway!) and capable of doing it from their car or armchair!
However, if these large Americans did try to walk around the store, some might end up having heart attacks in the store and that would be far more inconvenient for everyone so I'd rather have them driving around in those motorized carts.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:06 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I rarely see pensioners doing any of these things over here in the US....I don't know where they go or what they do?
They exist. Difference is they are in big Caddys or Buicks, trying hard to see over the steering wheel driving in front of me at 7mph whilst trying to find the DMV. I think we have more OAP retirement homes in this county per square mile than any other place in the US.. there is literally one every 2 or 3 miles. The reason they are rarely out is those places are a total live in community unto themselves..it has everything they possibly need..they are totally self contained... every so often they do venture out on buses that are put on for them to take them to the a+p or barnes n noble. Sad really, that these people hit retirement then pay a small fortune to lock themselves away in these odd little other worlds. That said, i've been in a few, and it aint half bad.. kinda reminds me of Butlins or Pontins. I sure wouldnt mind living there and having someone wait on me hand and foot all day..i could go for a spongebath from some 20-something nurse.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee_in_nj
They exist. Difference is they are in big Caddys or Buicks, trying hard to see over the steering wheel driving in front of me at 7mph whilst trying to find the DMV. I think we have more OAP retirement homes in this county per square mile than any other place in the US.. there is literally one every 2 or 3 miles. The reason they are rarely out is those places are a total live in community unto themselves..it has everything they possibly need..they are totally self contained... every so often they do venture out on buses that are put on for them to take them to the a+p or barnes n noble. Sad really, that these people hit retirement then pay a small fortune to lock themselves away in these odd little other worlds. That said, i've been in a few, and it aint half bad.. kinda reminds me of Butlins or Pontins. I sure wouldnt mind living there and having someone wait on me hand and foot all day..i could go for a spongebath from some 20-something nurse.
They seem to have sprung up everywhere in the last 5 or 6 years in NJ. Must be a lotta money to be made in the retirement business.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:14 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They seem to have sprung up everywhere in the last 5 or 6 years in NJ. Must be a lotta money to be made in the retirement business.
Personally i cant wait to retire to get out.. why you would want to spend the twilight of your life here.. is beyond me.
Old May 30th 2006, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I see the old folk living in nursing homes go out in the nursing home bus. They visit the grocery store, the cinema and other places. It's good they get out of their "homes" and out into the community. Also, they're with their friends so they have company on their trips.
Old May 30th 2006, 11:56 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
......but didn't we just hate it at the time and now it's a fond memory.

Exactly!
Old May 31st 2006, 3:57 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celsius
Sometimes I see the old folk living in nursing homes go out in the nursing home bus. They visit the grocery store, the cinema and other places. It's good they get out of their "homes" and out into the community. Also, they're with their friends so they have company on their trips.
That is a great thing, to be out in the community.

I've done volunteer work at an old fogeys home in the past, (a neighbor was their 'social director'), and the dears were so happy to see me, as most of them only got to see their families once a year and these were the lucky ones whose kids lived in town!! (My heart went out to one poor dear who was losing it a bit and who kept saying she was waiting for her daughter who'd be there soon every time I was there).

They pay a FORTUNE for these places though. This particular one had a small room with a tiny little kitchenette and space for a small table/desk and the cost was $2500/month - about 7 years ago.....can't imagine how much they are paying now.
Old May 31st 2006, 7:35 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
It's a beautiful day here and I walked to the store with Sadie in the sunshine to get some fags and milk. Half way up the road a cop stopped and asked if I had problems with the Jeep because we were walking ? .... As I came out of the store a friend stopped and asked the same ? .... "No ! ... we are just walking as it's a wonderful day" I replied to both.
"JEEEZUS CHRIST ! .... You walked up here when you have a vehicle !" he said.
The store is less than half a mile away from the house. I laugh when I see such lazy people, I have even seen them drive down to the mail box at the end of their drive to collect the post.
haha they same has happened to me on the rare occasion i decided to walk to pick up my kids after school, yes i usually drive, it's just too hot and i've become too lazy....I was recently thinking if we ever get to go visit my home town all that walking and hills etc would kill us
Old May 31st 2006, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

Right after reading this thread I left my office and went outside for a few, whilst there watched two students entering the building who couldn't have been more than twenty using the button to open the door that is there to assist disabled people - How bone idle is that? they can't even be bothered to pull a door open!
Old May 31st 2006, 8:41 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I was recently thinking if we ever get to go visit my home town all that walking and hills etc would kill us

And where in Wales would that be? (if you don't mind me asking)
Old May 31st 2006, 8:43 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aznewsh
Right after reading this thread I left my office and went outside for a few, whilst there watched two students entering the building who couldn't have been more than twenty using the button to open the door that is there to assist disabled people - How bone idle is that? they can't even be bothered to pull a door open!
I do that too, but it's usually because I'm trying to manoeuvre the stroller & it's helps to not have to wrestle the door while I'm doing so! The other half of the time it's because I'm bone idle!!!
Old May 31st 2006, 8:46 pm
Blondie22

Originally Posted by Partystar
I do that too, but it's usually because I'm trying to manoeuvre the stroller & it's helps to not have to wrestle the door while I'm doing so! The other half of the time it's because I'm bone idle!!!

I always do it with the stroller, it can be too darn difficult otherwise!
Old May 31st 2006, 8:57 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I always do it with the stroller, it can be too darn difficult otherwise!
Yeah, unless you happen to be near someone nice who offers to hold the door open for you. I've noticed that a lot of people here don't say thank you when you hold the door open for them.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, unless you happen to be near someone nice who offers to hold the door open for you. I've noticed that a lot of people here don't say thank you when you hold the door open for them.
Yeah that is a good enough excuse, though they definately did not have a stroller - I have noticed that too, people rarely say thank you for any kind gesture here - letting someone in a car pull out in front of you being another example, makes my blood boil when they don't acknowledge you at all!
And what's with this "I need" thing when talking to a waitress or whatever?

OK vent over....
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:13 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by aznewsh
Yeah that is a good enough excuse, though they definately did not have a stroller - I have noticed that too, people rarely say thank you for any kind gesture here - letting someone in a car pull out in front of you being another example, makes my blood boil when they don't acknowledge you at all!
And what's with this "I need" thing when talking to a waitress or whatever?

OK vent over....
Yeah, "I need 3 Big Macs & a Super Duper size Diet Coke", no love, what you NEED is decent food, exercise & a bit of self restraint! Plus, do they really think that Diet Coke is gonna help when they've just shovelled down 3 Big Macs?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.