Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

These Govt Rebate Cheques

Wikiposts

These Govt Rebate Cheques

Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:10 am
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all
Default Re: These Govt Rebate Cheques

Haven't ever budgeted for taxes
But I'm sure you've budgeted what you'll spend your refund on
I think my wife already had, but that went on $800 car repairs.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpltony
I wouldn't say bad planning. But you can jiggle your withholdings and neither owe nor pay at the end of the year (or only owe/get a little)
But like me I'm guessing most people would rather pay more each check and get a refund than have to pay all at once when the time comes.
I can see no reason for putting anything in the IRS bank of no interest and no flexibility! If you like the enjoyment of a lump sum every year, open a savings account and empty it every February.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:39 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I always try to owe the IRS a couple of grand at the end of the year...
Around 10% under the limit where the IRS starts fining you is best in my book.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:43 am
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I can see no reason for putting anything in the IRS bank of no interest and no flexibility! If you like the enjoyment of a lump sum every year, open a savings account and empty it every February.
I agree, but having the money there I'm sure is a temptation for too many people. Taking it out before they get to it leaves little room for trouble come tax time.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:47 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Another bloat government vote buying give-away that will have zero effect on the economy.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:54 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Another bloat government vote buying give-away that will have zero effect on the economy.
It depends on peoples belief, if they believe, they will spend.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:54 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by mdyoung
It'll be great for China and Walmart, though!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:01 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

It'll be great for China and Walmart, though!
China yes, since that probably were the money's being borrowed. I'll probably just put it all on the credit card bill.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Mine's getting sent back to Holland to help pay off some debts...not the intended purpose I'm sure!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:46 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

I can.
Interest of about $100 at the end of the year (if the money doesn't get spent on something else) or being sure that the IRS will give me a nice big tax refund?
Considering we are dealing with a legalised form of La Cosa Nostra here.
I'll take the annual refund, rather than be on their hook - thanks very much.

That and I'm too idle.

Last edited by Xebedee; Feb 9th 2008 at 9:56 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:54 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpltony
But I'm sure you've budgeted what you'll spend your refund on
I think my wife already had, but that went on $800 car repairs.
Oh yes. Every year we splurge a bit and pay off CC with the rest. Flat screen telly this year. But NOT from WalMart.

Needs must, I know. But at least she'll have wheels to get to the mall now and all with the best intentions of being frugal.
"Look hon, I saved us $500 by buying only $750 worth of shoes, aren't they lovely?"
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Tax refunds aren't nice -- they're bad planning.
Hey the earth is quivering on it's foundations - we agree again!