Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is there really a US-UK special relationship?

Wikiposts

Is there really a US-UK special relationship?

Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:07 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there really a US-UK special relationship?

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
on what grounds do the Falklands Islands belong to the Americas, whoever they are?
They live down the road from The Tropics. Strange couple if you ask me

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
... wouldn't stoop to ... sh*t stirring ...
I'll be honest with you, this made me laugh a bit
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

wouldn't stoop to such sh*t stirring as you're up to.
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
They live down the road from The Tropics. Strange couple if you ask me

I'll be honest with you, this made me laugh a bit
In context, please.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:59 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

In context, please.
Spoilsport.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Spoilsport.
You, sir, are the epitome and personification of "sh*t stirrer", (however humourously) hence I'd expect your pouty reply. (in less than your required four word minimum yet - does that come under the heading of "the less said, the better?")
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:12 am
I have a comma problem

You, sir, are the epitome and personification of "sh*t stirrer", (however humourously) hence I'd expect your pouty reply. (in less than your required four word minimum yet - does that come under the heading of "the less said, the better?")
You could just imagine me sticking my tongue out and then running off flicking v-signs behind your back, couldn't you?

Yes, I break my own rule once in a while, I know
Old Jan 19th 2012, 6:07 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

"Special relationship" I think means more at the governmental level, not societal. I think it had its zenith with Thatcher and Reagan, although Bush and Blair invading Iraq was a close second (and I think people forget just how gung ho Blair was to invade Iraq, this was not purely an American idea).

There are close ties between the military and intelligence services, and until Ireland dropped their corporate tax rate, the UK was seen as being more favourable as a place for US international start ups.

But what really, really, truly makes me cringe is when the UK is described as the closest ally of the US or vice versa.

Not even vaguely true, Canada is the closest ally of the US and there are even Canadian forces based at NORAD. And also there is NAFTA, so Mexico is by any reasonable measure a closer ally too, as are all the Caribbean nations with the exception of Cuba.

Even Australia negotiated a treaty with the US to ease movement of labour, which Australians know as the E-3 visa. So did Singapore and Chile.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

You could just imagine me sticking my tongue out and then running off flicking v-signs behind your back, couldn't you?

Yes, I break my own rule once in a while, I know
Tee hee hee!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:20 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The answer to the OP is a resounding "yes". But most people in the UK think that the special relationship is more expansive than it really is. It has little relevance to the average person on the street. For example, much to the dismay of many, immigration concerns are not directly influenced by the special relationship. It certainly has nothing to do with what individuals from one country think of their counterparts.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 11:33 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, its just a front.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:29 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

yes! Every time my DH and I have sex.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:41 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

This seems apt.