Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

jobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Originally Posted by gardnma
I have a large library including Dibley, Father Ted and other such nonsense to keep the beast away. Hi Joby. Things going well?
Yes sir.. much better this week. No real reason.. must have been your words of wisdom
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:48 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jobyone1
Yes sir.. much better this week. No real reason.. must have been your words of wisdom
You are welcome. "wise" is not something I think I need just yet though....

"....I'm thirty-seven. I'm not old...!" (Python quote #4,862)

Old Jul 15th 2006, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

I actually watched Benny Hill the other day and felt guilty afterwards.

..............I'm doomed !!!

when we moved 4 years ago to NC we got satellite because it had BBC America.
I was shocked to see how old some of the shows were (Benny hill )
"are you being served" and the constant bloody Cash in the Attic!

I rarely watch it now........really just Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares and other random stuff.

The phases are true......although I find that when things are not going well in life here or if there is some major stress going on ............that's when I fantasise that the UK is perfect and wish I was there, when in reality I know it's not true.
It's a comfort thing for me.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
anyway, thanks for the welcomes. i will continue to drone. when i was in england, i thought all the friends that i had kept in touch with while i was in america, would want to hang out with me and stuff. none of them did. i guess they were too busy. i became aware that i wasnt really english anymore, i was more american than english. but then in america, i realized i was more english than american. so im drifting in some kind of limbo half way between cultures, with half an english accent and half of an american one, but just enough to stand out in either place. in america, im noticed as english, and in england im mistook for being an american (which isnt a good thing nowadays). i was thinking of returning to england to go to an access to medicine course to train to become a doctor. i figure if i become a doctor i will be employable and not poor whereever i go in the world.
Welcome from me too

The friends thing is a tough one. When we visit UK it is hard enough to spend time around family members that you don't often see, because if you are not in constant touch you don't relate to there everyday life anymore. They aren't living the life you left behind 15 years ago so you have less in common.
Most of my UK based friends I hardly catch up with when I go back because there usually isn't time and some just have gone on with there lives and you are no longer a part of it.
It's weird I have 4 really close friends from home, they live in Thailand, Australia, Wales (Australian cit) and Canada I hardly EVER see them, every few years and these are the ones I have constant contact with, probably because we are all in the same situation.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

I have good days and bad days here in the US. The difficulty for me is that I've never been material person. The things I treasure most in life are family, and time spent with good friends. So it's often tough to justify leaving all that behind for a bigger house, faster car, and more money in the bank. Sure, I love the food here, the weather, the outdoors lifestyle and my luxuries...but some days I'd trade it all to be back in the local 'hole in the wall' with my mates, enjoying that comforting smell of stale beer and urine in a true British pub.
Spoken from my own heart!

Of course, when I have those bad days and I tell the friends back home that I miss them and am having second thoughts, I get the old "You're *****ing mad...I wouldn't give up life in America to come back to this sh*tty country". Then I remember how lucky I am and rejuvenate my love for the US.
Yup, our friends tend to say that too, but, while they're telling you how crazy you would be to come back, how many of them would actually be brave enough to make the move themselves if they were pushed to it?

I often tell people that if I could group up my friends and relatives into a big box and ship them over here, life would be perfect.
I do too, but in reality who knows maybe they'd drive me nuts! They'd have to live the same sort of distances from me that they lived in the UK!

So basically, I run hot and cold. Some days I long for the comforts of home and a pan of my old mam's Irish stew while watching the match, other days I find myself sitting out by the pool, enjoying the sun and BBQing a steak..and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Here here!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

jobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to behold

You are welcome. "wise" is not something I think I need just yet though....

"....I'm thirty-seven. I'm not old...!" (Python quote #4,862)

Yer younger than me! :scared:

Anyway, wisdom doesn't necessarily have anything to do with age.....
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

Yer younger than me! :scared:

Anyway, wisdom doesn't necessarily have anything to do with age.....
Actually, 37 breezed by last year. Waited ages to be able to quote that line.

What are you up to today me dear?
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, 37 breezed by last year. Waited ages to be able to quote that line.

What are you up to today me dear?
Well actually... my husband is pampering me... we are dumping (er, I mean giving) our little nubbin to Grandma for the whole day and we are going tanning and bike-riding, pedicure... dinner and the flicks!

Not bad eh!!

You?
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Well actually... my husband is pampering me... we are dumping (er, I mean giving) our little nubbin to Grandma for the whole day and we are going tanning and bike-riding, pedicure... dinner and the flicks!

Not bad eh!!

You?
Well, its 800 degrees out there and so muggy you need a snorkle. The kids really need to get out of the house so I'm sending them to the neighbors for a bit whilst I do my laundry chores (I get the domestic stuff on the week-end as the Mrs. sleeps).
Probably surf this forum for another 1/2 hour then go to a museum and shops with laural and hardy!

You can get a tan in Indiana?
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, its 800 degrees out there and so muggy you need a snorkle. The kids really need to get out of the house so I'm sending them to the neighbors for a bit whilst I do my laundry chores (I get the domestic stuff on the week-end as the Mrs. sleeps). Probably surf this forum for another 1/2 hour then go to a museum and shops with laural and hardy!

Glad to see you don't exaggarate at all
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CasG
Glad to see you don't exaggarate at all
Actually, its about 90 degrees with high humidity.
I really do the laundry. Had a bit of OJT.....

Thought you'd be sacked out Cas, I can never get the hang of the Oz-US time change...
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

Actually, its about 90 degrees with high humidity.
I really do the laundry. Had a bit of OJT.....

Thought you'd be sacked out Cas, I can never get the hang of the Oz-US time change...
All I know is that it is now 3.36pm EST.

So......it is late here - 1.36am ...just watching the Tour de France .....then will be in my bed .....4kms to go.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

All I know is that it is now 3.36pm EST.

So......it is late here - 1.36am ...just watching the Tour de France .....then will be in my bed .....4kms to go.
Finished...goodnight
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

Finished...goodnight
Tra, bed bugs an' all that.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Well, its 800 degrees out there and so muggy you need a snorkle. The kids really need to get out of the house so I'm sending them to the neighbors for a bit whilst I do my laundry chores (I get the domestic stuff on the week-end as the Mrs. sleeps).
Probably surf this forum for another 1/2 hour then go to a museum and shops with laural and hardy!

It's 85 degrees right now.. expecting 95 today and humidity of six hundred thousand or something.

We have really nice seasons here... very much the definition of each season, lots of sun in summer.. lots of snow in winter etc... If there were any beaches around, life would be wonderful.

Gotta go... hubby is about to start my day of pampering.. have fun with the laundry!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.