Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Originally Posted by The Undecided Scot
Are there arny Expats living in the US, that are happy and want to remain living in the country? If so, how do you do it?

It seems to me that there are many who want to return home (be it after 1 year, 5 years or 10 years...).
Yes I am very happy living here in the U.S. Some people can never be happy or content wherever they live, and I feel sorry for them. They need to remember why they left the UK in the first place to make a new life elsewhere. Returning to the UK may seem like the answer to whatever problems they have, but if they can't be happy in there adopted country, what makes them think they will be happy in the UK.

Homesickness may explain why some want to go home, but people who know they will be suffering from loss of loved ones, family friends etc, are the people who should stay put in the UK anyway.

For me, living here is the right answer and the opportunity came at the right time. I will make my life here, no going back.

Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any Expats happy in the US?

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Yes I am very happy living here in the U.S. Some people can never be happy or content wherever they live, and I feel sorry for them. They need to remember why they left the UK in the first place to make a new life elsewhere. Returning to the UK may seem like the answer to whatever problems they have, but if they can't be happy in there adopted country, what makes them think they will be happy in the UK.

Homesickness may explain why some want to go home, but people who know they will be suffering from loss of loved ones, family friends etc, are the people who should stay put in the UK anyway.

For me, living here is the right answer and the opportunity came at the right time. I will make my life here, no going back.

Not all ex-pats are here or stay here by choice. Saying that we are here by choice, although we did not leave the UK because there were things we disliked about life there. We came here because we had the opportunity to do so and wanted to experience living in America. It took me a long time to settle in here, but now life is pretty good. Would I be happier in the UK? I don't know the answer to that, both countries have advantages and disadvantages. Will we be here for ever? Who knows what the future will bring.....never say never.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hiya Frank. Are you there yet?
Hi Jersey, moving truck left NYC 6/13, we drove south late on eve 6/13 arrived in Ft Lauderdale 6/16. Moving truck arrived (Via Rhode island) 6/22. Got hooked up with cable & ISP yesterday. Stress, have not been this stressed in years. Still 90% of stuff put away, I forgot how stressful moving is.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Not all ex-pats are here or stay here by choice. Saying that we are here by choice, although we did not leave the UK because there were things we disliked about life there. We came here because we had the opportunity to do so and wanted to experience living in America. It took me a long time to settle in here, but now life is pretty good. Would I be happier in the UK? I don't know the answer to that, both countries have advantages and disadvantages. Will we be here for ever? Who knows what the future will bring.....never say never.

Hiya Jersey! Not sure why you guys are posting in this ancient thread, but your feelings about moving here mirror my own.

Except that I am absolutely 100% sure that we will return to London once DH retires!
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hi Jersey, moving truck left NYC 6/13, we drove south late on eve 6/13 arrived in Ft Lauderdale 6/16. Moving truck arrived (Via Rhode island) 6/22. Got hooked up with cable & ISP yesterday. Stress, have not been this stressed in years. Still 90% of stuff put away, I forgot how stressful moving is.
Reg. Frank R.

Nice to hear from you Frank. Sorry to hear you are all stressed out. Still if you are 90% there things should improve soon. I am dreading moving...my hubby is always talking about moving into something smaller...but I just can't face it.

Its rained here for 3 days straight...absolutely pouring down. Got a spare room?
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hiya Jersey! Not sure why you guys are posting in this ancient thread, but your feelings about moving here mirror my own.

Except that I am absolutely 100% sure that we will return to London once DH retires!

Hi Elvira. It was a newbie that pulled up this old thread yesterday....I put him straight though...politely of course.

I think we probably will...one day. May have a home both sides of the pond...Florida in the winter...Chester in the summer.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 4:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Elvira. It was a newbie that pulled up this old thread yesterday....I put him straight though...politely of course.

I think we probably will...one day. May have a home both sides of the pond...Florida in the winter...Chester in the summer.

Yeah, that would appeal to me to - except it would be Putney and California

Only problem is that we'd have to naturalise to be able to do that, and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that...
Old Jun 26th 2006, 4:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

. May have a home both sides of the pond...Florida in the winter....
I'm sorry ...its now closed .......
Old Jun 26th 2006, 4:44 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the naturalisation boat also. I really don't want to do it. But if we move to the UK and ever came back, then going through the green card process again would just be a nightmare

And, unfortunately, count me as one of the "Unhappy Brits". As time wears on over here, I think it would have been more prudent for my missus to have moved to the UK instead of me over here, for professional, financial and family reasons. I'm giving it my best shot - but I've been shooting for 8 years now and things aren't getting any better
Old Jun 26th 2006, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Titchski
I'm in the naturalisation boat also. I really don't want to do it. But if we move to the UK and ever came back, then going through the green card process again would just be a nightmare

And, unfortunately, count me as one of the "Unhappy Brits". As time wears on over here, I think it would have been more prudent for my missus to have moved to the UK instead of me over here, for professional, financial and family reasons. I'm giving it my best shot - but I've been shooting for 8 years now and things aren't getting any better
Most people are quite happy, till they hit that 8/10/12 year mark and start examining life once more and what they truly want out of it, and for many, it changes, the reason they go back.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 5:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ray
I'm sorry ...its now closed .......
No...Joycee said we can come and stay with you.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira
Yeah, that would appeal to me to - except it would be Putney and California

Only problem is that we'd have to naturalise to be able to do that, and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that...

That's a decision I am still struggling with.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 5:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

No...Joycee said we can come and stay with you.
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2006, 5:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
What is about naturalisation that bothers you? As a dual national, you wouldn't have to give up your British citizenship.

Is it becoming an American citizen? Split loyalties, or dislike of what America seems to stand for these days?

I really dislike the latter, but since I'm American by birth and carry no other citizenship (and am not currently eligible for any other citizenship) I would have to renounce and be stateless or I have to keep it. There are some days I wish the whole country would sink. (Can't leave til my youngest is 18 as her dad will not let her emigrate -- 11 years and counting down.)

And I hate it that there really are loads of nice, decent people who see right through all the crap that the government are trying to pull, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 5:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What is about naturalisation that bothers you? As a dual national, you wouldn't have to give up your British citizenship.

Is it becoming an American citizen? Split loyalties, or dislike of what America seems to stand for these days?

I really dislike the latter, but since I'm American by birth and carry no other citizenship (and am not currently eligible for any other citizenship) I would have to renounce and be stateless or I have to keep it. There are some days I wish the whole country would sink. (Can't leave til my youngest is 18 as her dad will not let her emigrate -- 11 years and counting down.)

And I hate it that there really are loads of nice, decent people who see right through all the crap that the government are trying to pull, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it.
Amy, for me its a case of taking citizenship too seriously. I cannot bring myself to sign the forms, when I believe we will eventually go back to the UK. I know it makes sense to have dual citizenship but.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.