Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving Recipes

Thanksgiving Recipes

Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:11 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving Recipes

Originally Posted by izibear
I have a T/G turkey recipe that literally has everyone salivating around this time of year.

Need:

Turkey - put it into the fridge side on a cookie sheet to defrost for two or 3 days (depending on the size) before you roast it. I find Butterball turkeys come out the best.

Two large onions, sliced thinly
Salt, Black Pepper freshly ground
Tablespoon Paprika
3 large cloves garlic minced
One or two large cans beer (any plonk will do), plus pint of chicken broth
3 bay leaves

Oven Bag - turkey sized (all supermarkets have them around)

Day before you roast the bird, wash it all out, inside as well, don't forget, and prick it all over with a fork. Use some cooking spray inside the bag so it won't stick, throw the bird in there, set it in a roasting pan, and then add the ingredients after mixing them all up, rubbing the bird inside and out thoroughly. Make sure you've added some of the liquid to the insides of the bird too (I always make stuffing separately, but you can stuff it now if you like).

Put it all in the fridge, making sure you've tied the bag up. Next day give it all a bit of a shake, and cook very slowly the next day (www.butterball.com has exact cooking times per weight if anyone is interested). Use the liquids to make gravy. Turns out moist as can be, and you'll have bunches of compliments on it.
Oooh ,the beer thing appeals I'd never used a bag for cooking turkey until the wife showed me, it really works, nice moist turkey rather than the bone dry stuff we used to have in the UK.

Note to self..... Has it come to this? Talking turkey in a forum!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Could someone please provide a good bread pudding recipe to shut Rushman up?

Thank you!! trouble with making a bread pudding here is that you cant get schwartz mixed spice.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Okay, so call me pathetic, but I haven't made roast potatoes in yonks. Just cut them up, put them in the pan and dose them with fat right? How long and what temp? Anything else I'm forgetting?

For good golden brown roasties I would give them a roast them then give them a few minutes broiling then turn them over and another quick broil. That is unless you are posh enough to have a fan assisted oven with the heating element at the top.

My oven has the element at the bottom and no fan, so brown the spuds with the broiler.

As a point, I would wash the peeled spuds before boiling to get that starchy crud off and also add salt.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Thanks, I'd be interested to see that
You're making me suspicious now mate!!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:21 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever had a turkey which is deep fried? I think they do it in the South. We went to an American friend's house and he deep fried a turkey. It was ok but after he had done the turkey, he chucked in a load of chips to cook in the fat - bloody gorgeous, in fact, the best bit.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

Those that like nice big fluffy yorkshires here a good tip if you make your own.

Add an extra egg white. It helps to raise and lighten them.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

The newbies to the country can look at www.allrecipes.com and search for T/G recipes to your hearts' contents.

Traditional TG meal;

Dried out turkey cooked in open stove with salt and pepper only.. (check out my previous post for a great recipe)

Green Bean Casserole (btw ladies, you can cheat by buying the Green Giant boxes of Green Bean casserole in your freezer aisle and nuking it, then throwing into the oven with the onions on top for a few mins )

Sweetcorn Casserole

Coconut Ambrosia Salad (eaten with your meal, NOT as a dessert)

Jello with banana/apple/pineapple pieces inside (also not a dessert)

Yam casserole with marshmallows melted on top and pecan nuts in it.

Roast potatoes

Mash potatoes

Au gratin potatoes (a favorite around these here parts)

Usually serve stuffing on the side and not in turkey (something about people getting sick from undercooked turkey or something I seem to recall)

DRINKS

Non-Alchie punch, made with Hawaiian Punch, Cranberry Ginger ale, Sprite and throwing a bowl of frozen sherbet inside.

DESSERT

Pecan Pie
Pumpkin
Cherry
Peach
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:22 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Those that like nice big fluffy yorkshires here a good tip if you make your own.

Add an extra egg white. It helps to raise and lighten them.
Thank you, the naturally abrasive Michael Corleone
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Thank you, the naturally abrasive Michael Corleone
I've been known to walk through the kitchen now and again.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
I've been known to walk through the kitchen now and again.
There's nothing like talking about roasts spuds and turkey to bring out the galloping gourmets
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

I'm doing Jamies roasted chicken (except i'm doing turkey, roasted not fried!!) with fragrant coucous on a sweet potato stovie, the coucous has cranberries and pistacious, given that i don't have access to M&S fresh sausagemeat based stuffing this makes a pleasant alternative.
I think Jamie does a nice bread and butter pudding recipe too.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
There's nothing like talking about roasts spuds and turkey to bring out the galloping gourmets

Thats right....anytime she wants me to cook I go galloping out of the kitchen.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:40 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Not too bad...3 pages in the thread and already it has 3 recipies. I give it by 4 pm before it is completely hijacked.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
Not too bad...3 pages in the thread and already it has 3 recipies. I give it by 4 pm before it is completely hijacked.
You're not a betting man are you?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:45 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Thanks for the contributions so far everyone. Anyone have a good sage stuffing recipe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.