Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving Dinner

Wikiposts

Thanksgiving Dinner

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving Dinner

Originally Posted by JRG67
Is anyone going to the sales on Black Friday???
Not going anywhere near any stores tomorrow. Anyone that's going should wear knee and elbow pads, steel toed boots, crash helmet and kevlar.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

TV dinners here, I'm in the middle of repainting the kitchen, so a turkey dinner is not really an option when the fridge, microwave and cooker are in three different rooms : )
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:29 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I got off work an hour early, am in my jim jams cooking our Thanksgiving dinner-cheese ravioli with marinara sauce and garlic bread.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I got off work an hour early, am in my jim jams cooking our Thanksgiving dinner-cheese ravioli with marinara sauce and garlic bread.
Excellent

Ours was left overs from yesterdays BBQ. It has been a quiet day after taking my sis back to the airport
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:47 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Excellent

Ours was left overs from yesterdays BBQ. It has been a quiet day after taking my sis back to the airport
Sorry Cel, no fun to come home and think the house is emptier now, but I am glad you did get to spend time together.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:56 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Is that an Italian tradition?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Cel, no fun to come home and think the house is emptier now, but I am glad you did get to spend time together.
It's weird, she has always been the big sister and a little bit bossy but the years have changed us and she has mellowed and we had a very fun filled, silly giggly 2 weeks together and the 2 guys had a great time as well (they share a love of engines, tools and soccer) It was a vacation to remember

(sorry you had to work mate)
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

So I ended up making roasted roots (carrot, swede and parsnip) and also totally rocked cauliflower cheese yummmm !
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:19 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly sat at a table and listened to people warn how organic food will kill you (all of it) and that "the government" put arsenic in everything that "they" (who the they are was not explained but everyone else seemed to know) claim is healthy - so avoid that. Then - and I shit you not - this puddle of squashed-hamster guts was put on the table. I don't think you can warn of the fatalistic nature of organic lettuce and then put a bowl of cool whip, maraschino cherries and marshmallows on the table.
Attached Thumbnails Thanksgiving Dinner-pink-filth.jpg  
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:25 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
I honestly sat at a table and listened to people warn how organic food will kill you (all of it) and that "the government" put arsenic in everything that "they" (who the they are was not explained but everyone else seemed to know) claim is healthy - so avoid that. Then - and I shit you not - this puddle of squashed-hamster guts was put on the table. I don't think you can warn of the fatalistic nature of organic lettuce and then put a bowl of cool whip, maraschino cherries and marshmallows on the table.
So.. You took out your camera or phone and took that picture.. Were you expressing admiration? "Can I have the recipe? It looks so delicious! I've got to share this with all my friends!!"
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:32 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
Hilarious!
I hope they are all looking after their precious bodily fluids!

Tell me, do they own guns

Where do Twinkies fit into the grand scheme of things? Were they created by the government to make the poor obese? And if so, why are "they" attempting to clse down the Twinkie factories now?
Any insights??

Last edited by JRG67; Nov 23rd 2012 at 12:35 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:47 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

So it was just the two of us yesterday. It was a beautiful warm sunny day, we went for a very peaceful walk in the woods by the river (not another soul to be seen, presumably all home cooking or eating). We were home by two pm and spent the next hour and a half together in the kitchen cooking (awwww!)

I seared some chicken in the frying pan then baked it in the oven with lime juice, New York wine, oranges and onions. It came out pretty well. I have enough for tonight too (my wife is a vegetarian). Also made mashed redskin spuds with lots of butter. She made roasted vegetables, included parsnips, onions, kohlrabi, kale and aubergine.. That was delicious.

It was the first year for many years we have not got together with the children for Thanksgiving. Our son, who lives in England, is doing his best to forget his American heritage. So ordinary working day for him. Daughter was on her own on the Cape (her partner went of to Indiana to do Thanksgiving with her family). So daughter was invited to a friends house, we haven't yet heard how that went.. Daughter's partner has one of those extended families with democrats, republicans, tea partiers etc. so no doubt had fun over the green bean casserole and the candied yams I'll be awaiting the reports with baited breath.

We will all be getting together at Christmas in Massachusetts. Son will be bringing in Taste the Difference deep filled mince pies and a Christmas pud from England. And a six month supply of tea for me..
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
So it was just the two of us yesterday. It was a beautiful warm sunny day, we went for a very peaceful walk in the woods by the river (not another soul to be seen, presumably all home cooking or eating). We were home by two pm and spent the next hour and a half together in the kitchen cooking (awwww!)

I seared some chicken in the frying pan then baked it in the oven with lime juice, New York wine, oranges and onions. It came out pretty well. I have enough for tonight too (my wife is a vegetarian). Also made mashed redskin spuds with lots of butter. She made roasted vegetables, included parsnips, onions, kohlrabi, kale and aubergine.. That was delicious.

It was the first year for many years we have not got together with the children for Thanksgiving. Our son, who lives in England, is doing his best to forget his American heritage. So ordinary working day for him. Daughter was on her own on the Cape (her partner went of to Indiana to do Thanksgiving with her family). So daughter was invited to a friends house, we haven't yet heard how that went.. Daughter's partner has one of those extended families with democrats, republicans, tea partiers etc. so no doubt had fun over the green bean casserole and the candied yams I'll be awaiting the reports with baited breath.

We will all be getting together at Christmas in Massachusetts. Son will be bringing in Taste the Difference deep filled mince pies and a Christmas pud from England. And a six month supply of tea for me..
Sounds perfect.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

28 Yorkshire biscuits later, goodness knows what went wrong as I've cooked them here before and oven and baking tray were roasting.

Still, the roast pork came out lovely though, and the Asian influenced Turkey dinner was good too. Enjoyable day, and just reminds me so much of Christmas and Boxing day, what with all the sales that I've carefully avoided.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 3:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
Odd that you said that because we did an airport run yesterday to take my sis and BiL back for their trip home to the UK and I could not believe how busy the roads were! Also every Movie Theatre and Shopping Strip were heaving with people and this was all before midday! Can't people stay at home anymore?? I compared it to when my sister was here 16 years ago for TXG and how hard it was to even find a gas station open or a grocer store if you had run out of milk! Obviously TXG is no longer a holiday for everyone to go to grandmas house and eat and have a family day anymore, consumerism has taken over It is sad really.

Local news on TV were interviewing people camping out at Best Buy from Wednesday night. One guy with his kids said it was their new family tradition for TXG Now that is really sad.

Right, off my soap box as my dishwasher gave up yesterday so eventually I will brave the crowds and do what I am knocking everyone else for doing and look for a bargain at Lowes Mind you it is 10.20am Friday morning and I'm still not ready to go out so probably all the bargains will be gone by the time we finally get out there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.