Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving Dinner

Wikiposts

Thanksgiving Dinner

Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving Dinner

Originally Posted by JRG67

Sure you're not a closet Mormon?
I'm sure Mormons get up to strange things in closets.

Mind you, so, probably, does Herpes.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:20 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I'm sure Mormons get up to strange things in closets.

Mind you, so, probably, does Herpes.
Magic pants and closet shenanigans?

The rudeness...
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:35 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex

The rudeness...
Well, you do boast about being masturbation fodder...
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
I have seen the cucumber dance. Nothing would surprise me.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Turns out they don't sell pork shoulder (which is apparently what gammon is). Odd for a butcher - I thought they sold all the bits. Anyway, went to Costco and picked up a couple in there, along with plenty of wine for moi. I'm not risking an alcohol-free day.

Interesting to note the panic buying before Thanksgiving that is common in the UK before Christmas.
It's crazy, isn't it? I went to Costco this morning, knowing full well it would be crazy, but expecting it would happen later in the day, so I got there when it opened. Jesus H Christ! Everyone had the same idea and their overflow parking was full!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 4:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
It's crazy, isn't it? I went to Costco this morning, knowing full well it would be crazy, but expecting it would happen later in the day, so I got there when it opened. Jesus H Christ! Everyone had the same idea and their overflow parking was full!
We did the same. All I wanted was one Cheescake and Dh was going to buy gas. You'd think there was going to be no more gas or something, the lines were about 10 times longer than usual.
I got the cheesecake and a pumpkin pie and high tailed it out of there.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:55 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Is anyone going to the sales on Black Friday???
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:47 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
Is anyone going to the sales on Black Friday???
Fortunately no! We finished buying stuff years ago. We are single-handedly moving the US toward double or triple dip as a result of consumer inactivity.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:51 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Might I suggest that you don't combine beer and chainsaws, unless you are into titanium limbs.

We are invited to friends, and I will just have to be polite since sweet potatoes and corn pudding feature prominently. There isn't even any booze. I do it so that my American born son can have a Thanksgiving celebration of some kind and not feel left out.
She's the chainsaw operator.. I won't touch the thing although I do assist her. No she won't start drinking until all the trees are down and cut up into little pieces!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
Fortunately no! We finished buying stuff years ago. We are single-handedly moving the US toward double or triple dip as a result of consumer inactivity.
C'mon now.

You're an advertising exec's worst nightmare!

You have to stock up cos the stores won't re-stock before Christmas, you know
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:18 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
I'm such a rebel, I'm making a good old British roast beef dinner for Thanksgiving. I'll save the turkey for Christmas.

What's everyone else eating on Thursday?
Curry. We gave up going to other peoples houses years and years ago, so now it's just me and hubby (son away at uni in the UK) we are going to be couch potatoes and then will have a curry that was cooked prior to the day and then heated up ... I'm soooo lazy
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:33 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off to my son's in-laws and then through the back fence with the turkey to their neighbours. Mostly looking forward to it. It will be the first Thanksgiving for them since their son died. There'll probably be tears and laughter and more food than we can possibly manage. I'm taking pies and wine
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:34 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Curry. We gave up going to other peoples houses years and years ago, so now it's just me and hubby (son away at uni in the UK) we are going to be couch potatoes and then will have a curry that was cooked prior to the day and then heated up ... I'm soooo lazy
Nyom nyom.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Sounds like a wonderful day!

We have no close family nearby and this is the first year we aren't going down to Oregon to be with my elderly grandmother at her house. She's very ill and now residing in an assisted living facility, so we chose to visit her at another time.

So we are going to one of our friend's house. I'm not sure how that will work, but felt bad that our daughter might feel isolated because it's just the three of us. Should be interesting.... But at least I don't have to cook it!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We did the same. All I wanted was one Cheescake and Dh was going to buy gas. You'd think there was going to be no more gas or something, the lines were about 10 times longer than usual.
I got the cheesecake and a pumpkin pie and high tailed it out of there.
I bought the pumpkin pie and a veggie tray (yes too lazy to make my own!) and snared a book for my daughter and still happened to find a line that wasn't too bad. I don't get why people will just herd to the middle and not fan out to the outside checkout registers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.