British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thanksgiving Dinner (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thanksgiving-dinner-778161/)

tinaflorida Nov 21st 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10394677)
Might I suggest that you don't combine beer and chainsaws, unless you are into titanium limbs.

We are invited to friends, and I will just have to be polite since sweet potatoes and corn pudding feature prominently. There isn't even any booze.:frown: I do it so that my American born son can have a Thanksgiving celebration of some kind and not feel left out.

No BOOZE????? :ohmy::ohmy:

I'm so sorry!

ChocolateBabz Nov 21st 2012 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 10394620)
Awwww....come on now... Make a starter, puuhhhhllllleeeeasssse....:angel_smile:;):D

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10394672)
Go on - over roasted sprouts with a chipotle aioli. :)

Will you two behave ;)

tonrob, there will be sprouts with the ham or power balls as we like to call them. Dates back to when The Dude was little and going through a power rangers phase. Yes my 5 year old (now 14) loves his sprouts :D

JRG67 Nov 21st 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10394677)
Might I suggest that you don't combine beer and chainsaws, unless you are into titanium limbs.

We are invited to friends, and I will just have to be polite since sweet potatoes and corn pudding feature prominently. There isn't even any booze.:frown: I do it so that my American born son can have a Thanksgiving celebration of some kind and not feel left out.

No booze?????:eek:

GeoffM Nov 21st 2012 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10394709)

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 10394661)
Look for a regular butcher (not easy to find nowadays) Of course the day before Thanksgiving might be asking for too much! ;)

I didn't think we had any - but a Google search points me to a place several miles away that also sells "Microbrew Beers from around the world" - I'm there! :thumbsup: Thanks.

Turns out they don't sell pork shoulder (which is apparently what gammon is). Odd for a butcher - I thought they sold all the bits. Anyway, went to Costco and picked up a couple in there, along with plenty of wine for moi. I'm not risking an alcohol-free day.

Interesting to note the panic buying before Thanksgiving that is common in the UK before Christmas.

Captain Cheesestick Nov 22nd 2012 12:26 am

I haveto go to my brother-in-laws house so we can all marvel at his legendarily shit parenting. I try not to be judgmental but then my son wasn't returned to me by police when he was 18 months old because he'd run off without anyone noticing.

Anyhoo - everyone will be drunk except me. I don't drink. And as I'll be dry I can get the kids in the car and the **** out of there as soon as they've swallowed the last piece of pumpkin pie.

CAdreaming Nov 22nd 2012 12:34 am

Off to DH ex wife and family - she is a wonderful cook ---which im not so im looking forward to it
Went last year and had the usual traditional meal

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!!

JRG67 Nov 22nd 2012 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex (Post 10395355)
I haveto go to my brother-in-laws house so we can all marvel at his legendarily shit parenting. I try not to be judgmental but then my son wasn't returned to me by police when he was 18 months old because he'd run off without anyone noticing.

Anyhoo - everyone will be drunk except me. I don't drink. And as I'll be dry I can get the kids in the car and the **** out of there as soon as they've swallowed the last piece of pumpkin pie.

A writer who doesn't drink:eek::eek::eek:

Sure you're not a closet Mormon?;)

Captain Cheesestick Nov 22nd 2012 12:52 am

Originally Posted by JRG67 (Post 10395370)
A writer who doesn't drink:eek::eek::eek:

Sure you're not a closet Mormon?;)

I do however chug coffee like a lunatic.

JRG67 Nov 22nd 2012 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex (Post 10395378)
I do however chug coffee like a lunatic.

I'll forgive you then;) Not sure if Hemmingway or Fitzgerald would approve tho':lol:

Captain Cheesestick Nov 22nd 2012 1:01 am

Originally Posted by JRG67 (Post 10395384)
I'll forgive you then;) Not sure if Hemmingway or Fitzgerald would approve tho':lol:

If it helps I bet both of them would pay quite a bit for some of my meds. :blink:

JRG67 Nov 22nd 2012 1:03 am

Interesting. What are you selling?

taffie77 Nov 22nd 2012 1:43 am

We're going to a local buffet tomorrow, but to friends on Saturday. My H volunteered me to make Yorkshire Puddings, which I have never done before, and we need enough for 25 :eek:

JRG67 Nov 22nd 2012 1:47 am

Originally Posted by taffie77 (Post 10395423)
We're going to a local buffet tomorrow, but to friends on Saturday. My H volunteered me to make Yorkshire Puddings, which I have never done before, and we need enough for 25 :eek:

I hope you volunteered him to wash the dishes;)

taffie77 Nov 22nd 2012 1:53 am

Originally Posted by JRG67 (Post 10395427)
I hope you volunteered him to wash the dishes;)

Ha ha, that can be the surprise on Saturday ;)

Lion in Winter Nov 22nd 2012 1:57 am

Originally Posted by tinaflorida (Post 10394911)
No BOOZE????? :ohmy::ohmy:

I'm so sorry!

Originally Posted by JRG67 (Post 10395011)
No booze?????:eek:

I know, I know. What am I supposed to give thanks for, exactly???