British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Thanksgiving Dinner (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/thanksgiving-dinner-778161/)

tinaflorida Nov 19th 2012 10:02 pm

Thanksgiving Dinner

I'm such a rebel, I'm making a good old British roast beef dinner for Thanksgiving. I'll save the turkey for Christmas. :p

What's everyone else eating on Thursday?

GeoffM Nov 19th 2012 11:01 pm

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner

Turkey apparently, though I hope it's not deep fried like the adverts on TV at the moment. :eek:

I would volunteer to help the chef but afraid of sticking my nose in - I'm the one that cooks the roast dinners in my house, but we're going to the wife's cousin's place. Might do some Yorkshires though.

thinbrit Nov 19th 2012 11:08 pm

My wife is an ER veterinarian, they are open 24 hours on Thanksgiving as most practices will be closed.
No Thanksgiving in this house, which also means no inlaws :D

kimilseung Nov 19th 2012 11:12 pm

Not sure till we get there. Going to the brother-in-laws and his partner is a veggie, though we have been promised it will be omnivore friendly.

rallybug Nov 19th 2012 11:49 pm

Turkey mostly, although as it's the wife's family gathering, everyone brings something - we're making roasted yams and I'm doing a white chocolate sweet potato cake :)

scrubbedexpat027 Nov 19th 2012 11:52 pm

Turkey ready meal :)

JRG67 Nov 19th 2012 11:55 pm

Papaya King turkey hot dog with cranberrie sauce and Coney Island mustard

GeoffM Nov 20th 2012 12:38 am

Originally Posted by dek (Post 10391528)
Turkey ready meal :)

Turkey twizzlers too good for you?:D

Southy_SWFC Nov 20th 2012 1:37 am

Tofurkey for us. Plus I'll be making the Yorkshires

scrubbedexpat027 Nov 20th 2012 1:38 am

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10391568)
Turkey twizzlers too good for you?:D

I'm too good for them. :rofl:

Bob Nov 20th 2012 1:46 am

Turkey...followed by the usual, stodgy mashed spuds, boiled to death peas and carrots, perhaps have to endure some overly boiled and mashed turnips.

Saving grace, unless I get gyped like last year, the pecan pie...

We're all off to the missus' grandmothers.

tonrob Nov 20th 2012 1:49 am

Curried nut roast. And sprouts.

Bink Nov 20th 2012 2:21 am

Whatever BA are serving. We'll be in the air.

robin1234 Nov 20th 2012 2:33 am

My wife's been a-sharpening up the chainsaw and we'll be cutting us some trees that day (forecast is pretty good all week.). So whatever we eat will be easy, vegetarian and accompanied by a few beers.

sir_eccles Nov 20th 2012 3:07 am

At the inlaws in Kansas rumors of three different turkeys. I hope at least one is deep fried. Should be beef tenderloin too if we stick with tradition.

Slightly unsettling is we found out the inlaws are now vegan after seeing some book on Dr Oz about reversing diabetes by eating veggies and carbs. The author is such a quack. Any way hoping the thanksgiving hiatus will end up being permanent.