Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving: cheap flight with CO to LGW

Thanksgiving: cheap flight with CO to LGW

Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:46 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving: cheap flight with CO to LGW

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Anyone flown on the Bristol route ? When I heard CO were going to fly there, remembered thinking it sounded a great idea, and got all nostalgic about Briz, wishing I still had rellies living in the area as an excuse to fly there and avoid London airports.
Wondered what the load factors were on the flights - maybe there isn't a market for a widebodied plane ? Also, from what I remember, Lulsgate always had a rather short runway which prevented big planes taking off - perhaps that's a factor too. Whatever the case, really wish airlines were more imaginitive with their routes to British regional airports - I would be happy if I never have to fly into LHR ever again...
There are more and more flights to and from Bristol these days, my dad's always hoping on a plane to spain etc from Bristol. He too got all excited when he heard Continental were flying from there and is going to try the flight next year when he comes over to visit. I'll let you know how it went if you can wait that long

We've got family in Wales and the west country so it will be far less hassle to fly to Bristol than to to fight the traffic from Gatwick each time (M25 = :scared: )
Old Aug 31st 2006, 12:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Thanksgiving: cheap flight with CO to LGW

I used to do voluntary work at Newark airport (international arrivals at terminal B) and if the Continental gates are fully occupied at the dedicated CO terminal C, they sometimes use a terminal B gate.tol

I recently helped some people who'd just arrived on the CO flight from Bristol. They thought it was wonderful that they hadn't had to trek all the way to London and it saved them hours in travelling time. It must be great for anyone living in S.Wales and the West Country to have this option. (I still can't decide whether or not to fly to Bristol or not, the high price doesn't help although I could perhaps use airmiles....my husband is trying to wangle a business trip to head office in London. He grew up in Bristol - which is a lovely city - but all of his family and old friends no longer live there).

However....it is the 757-200 planes on this route so it's definitely 'no frills'.....just a few tiny drop-down TV sets in economy and of course CO like the other US airlines charges for all alcoholic drinks on board.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 2:25 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

We're looking at flight for next May, and sadly ther'e only 2 direct flights a day from DTW to London, a BA flight into LHR, and a Northwest flight into LGW. We'll have a 3 year old by then, so getting a connecting flight really isn't an option (there isn't much diffrence in the price anyway). So it look slike we'll be using BA again, as LHR is nearer home, and the missus hates LGW.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
But virgin are a good airline
YEAH ............ And if you book EWR to LHR on Continental it will be on a Virgin plane anyway ............ But probably a lot cheeper.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Englishmum
He grew up in Bristol - which is a lovely city - but all of his family and old friends no longer live there).
Wow - that's exactly the same situation as me! Bristol is one place I will always feel nostalgic for...
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

My sister and her daughter flew over using continental Bristol to Newark at the beginning of July. She had no complaints about the flight, in fact I'm sure she said the plane wasn't full and they had a row of seats to themselves. That doesn't happen very often anymore, don't know how full the flight home was.

I lived in Bristol for 10 years and have some great memories of it too...
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Bristol is one place I will always feel nostalgic for...
I'm looking for flights right now from Bristol mid October to get my Daughter over, but I keep haveing to go round the houses, we've got really bad weather at the moment
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I'm looking for flights right now from Bristol mid October to get my Daughter over, but I keep haveing to go round the houses, we've got really bad weather at the moment
Wouldn't LHR - Dulles be their best option????

Jim.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:06 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case anyone is thinking of going over to the UK during the Thanksgiving weekend:

I've been looking at prices on http://www.continental.com

and prices of flights into Heathrow or Gatwick. (Continental can't fly into LHR and codeshares using Virgin Atlantic planes).

From Newark, NJ it is only $198 (+ airport taxes) into Gatwick, flying on the day before Thanksgiving and flying back on the Sunday (although any day after that is approx the same price).

If you fly into Heathrow with their codeshare partner, Virgin, it is $460 + taxes!

The cheapest from here on the same dates that you mentioned is $585, still pretty good though!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:42 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case anyone is thinking of going over to the UK during the Thanksgiving weekend:

I've been looking at prices on http://www.continental.com

and prices of flights into Heathrow or Gatwick. (Continental can't fly into LHR and codeshares using Virgin Atlantic planes).

From Newark, NJ it is only $198 (+ airport taxes) into Gatwick, flying on the day before Thanksgiving and flying back on the Sunday (although any day after that is approx the same price).

If you fly into Heathrow with their codeshare partner, Virgin, it is $460 + taxes!
Seems like Delta are offering a similar deal $198 (+ airport taxes) from November 15, 2006 through March 21, 2007 (December 15th - January 7th are blacked out)

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...n/index.jsp#tf