Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:15 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Hmmm ... so now OH is thinking he may want to try deep frying a turkey (or two) this year. Supposedly it's easy and the turkey is phenomenal. Has anyone done it?
I watched Paula Deen do it yesterday. Important thing is to get the right amount of oil, to find that, first put the turkey in and then fill it with water to the level to cover the tureky. Mark the line where that is, and then when the time comes use that amount of peanut oil. She said to figure 3 minutes a pound and then give an extra 5 minutes, no matter the sixze of the turkey. She greased the turkey up first with butter and seasoning before lowering it into the oil.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I watched Paula Deen do it yesterday. Important thing is to get the right amount of oil, to find that, first put the turkey in and then fill it with water to the level to cover the tureky. Mark the line where that is, and then when the time comes use that amount of peanut oil. She said to figure 3 minutes a pound and then give an extra 5 minutes, no matter the sixze of the turkey. She greased the turkey up first with butter and seasoning before lowering it into the oil.
My father is convinced that we'll end up with third degree burns if we try this and that it's a terrible, terrible idea.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed now that our number has been confirmed at 14. That's a bigger party than we've ever hosted before. Ack! I keep realizing how many things I don't have for 14.

Plastic disposable plates for dessert are starting to sound like a very good idea.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ... so now OH is thinking he may want to try deep frying a turkey (or two) this year. Supposedly it's easy and the turkey is phenomenal. Has anyone done it?
old neighbour up in Maine, his folks did it when we came for dinner once....was lovely....but not something I'd bother, lot of hassle getting a pot big enough and all that oil, but they did it on a bbq.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
old neighbour up in Maine, his folks did it when we came for dinner once....was lovely....but not something I'd bother, lot of hassle getting a pot big enough and all that oil, but they did it on a bbq.
It might be quite a hassle, but it would also keep the bird out of the oven. I think I'm leaning toward skipping it this time ... but we'll see what my husband decides! I've never had it and have heard that it's very good.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It might be quite a hassle, but it would also keep the bird out of the oven. I think I'm leaning toward skipping it this time ... but we'll see what my husband decides! I've never had it and have heard that it's very good.
it is lovely, really juicey and works a treat, but perhaps not something to do for a massive bird, or for a first time when you've loads of guests, though if you've got a decent bbq you could try it out doors.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

EnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud of

I am still trying to establish what our own 'tradition' is here, because I want to do a 'proper' thanksgiving for my husband, who is American, but I would also like it to be something meaningful for me.

We have a church service the evening before (I sing in my church, so I will be there sound checking an hour early!) so that kind of gives us a focus for the 'thankful' aspect - its kind of an informal service where people can just get up and say what they are thankful for.

I was worried about the cost of it this year, with Christmas so close too - and my little nephews back in England have birthdays in December and January! I have been unemployed since I was laid off in February. But I had a good rummage among the turkeys and got a reasonable price (theres only the two of us so doesn't have to be huge) and with the various sales and coupons I rounded up the stuffing, green beans, butternut squash,cranberry etc.

I don't like pumpkin pie but my friend makes an AMAZING pumpkin cheesecake, so I am thinking of asking her for the recipe and making that this year.

Ruth x
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

brit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to all

We, or rather my father-in-law, has deep-fried a turkey several times in the last four years on various occasions (Christmas. New Year, Thanksgiving, just for the hell of it) and it has always been amazing. I am not into fried food but the turkey tastes anything but! I love it.
This year, however, we are breaking with that tradition and we are going to pit-roast the turkey. Totally new experience - I'll let you know how it turns out!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brit-n-yank
We, or rather my father-in-law, has deep-fried a turkey several times in the last four years on various occasions (Christmas. New Year, Thanksgiving, just for the hell of it) and it has always been amazing. I am not into fried food but the turkey tastes anything but! I love it.
This year, however, we are breaking with that tradition and we are going to pit-roast the turkey. Totally new experience - I'll let you know how it turns out!
Please do - that sounds interesting!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Think that was me I know it's traditionally turkey served at TG, but we always have ham. We came to this decision many years ago, Ham is hubby's fave, but I'm not a fan, so he gets ham for TG and we both get turkey for Christmas.

No matter how much I love him, I am not willing to give up my traditional Christmas turkey and there is no way I want to eat it at TG too, that would take away from the feeling of it being a special treat at Christmas.
Whichever meal works for you, that is the one you have. I watched one of the food challenges last weekend and it was the preparation of a thanksgiving meal by four familys. One family was totally vegetarian. They did what they considered a turkey loaf and the judges actually liked it.

I love smoked ham but prefer turkey myself. Picked up a small one to make on Friday for our "at home" thanksgiving over that long weekend. Nothing better than the leftovers for turkey sandwiches with stuffing, cranberry sauce, a little mayo on good bakery or homemade rye bread. Then I would use some of it for turkey pot pies and a turkey casserole later in the month from the chunks I would freeze.

The one thing I cannot make is turkey soup. It never ever comes out right.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 22nd 2009 at 4:05 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:35 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had had the forethought when I was a kid, to ask the cooks who I noted their dishes as being wonderful, for their recipes.

My aunt Barbara made the BEST Yorkshire pudding I have ever had.

Flossie Bernard's doughnuts and brownies.

Mrs Rowley's meat pies (made with lard in the piecrust) and her turkey soup.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My father is convinced that we'll end up with third degree burns if we try this and that it's a terrible, terrible idea.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed now that our number has been confirmed at 14. That's a bigger party than we've ever hosted before. Ack! I keep realizing how many things I don't have for 14.

Plastic disposable plates for dessert are starting to sound like a very good idea.
Splurge and buy the good Chinette dinner plates at the market. They set a nice table, are thick enough to hold a lot of drippy food without leaking and can be easily tossed when dinner is over.

If you have a dollar store or a warehouse store close by, we have a National Warehouse Distributors, pick up the serving platters and bowls there. I paid about $3.00 a dish and they are reusable.

Even if you have a dishwasher who wants to be cleaning plates, rinsing and stacking the washer.

As for veggies try a nice baked butternut and acorn squash dish. Cauliflower with a lovely cheese sauce or asparagus sauteed with EEVO and garlic and mushrooms.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:54 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Rete
Splurge and buy the good Chinette dinner plates at the market. They set a nice table, are thick enough to hold a lot of drippy food without leaking and can be easily tossed when dinner is over.

If you have a dollar store or a warehouse store close by, we have a National Warehouse Distributors, pick up the serving platters and bowls there. I paid about $3.00 a dish and they are reusable.

Even if you have a dishwasher who wants to be cleaning plates, rinsing and stacking the washer.

As for veggies try a nice baked butternut and acorn squash dish. Cauliflower with a lovely cheese sauce or asparagus sauteed with EEVO and garlic and mushrooms.
I do scalloped corn traditionally as well.

Have a good "Frosted cauliflower" recipe-paste made out of mayonnaise and mustard slathered before you bake it. Sprinkle a bit of cheddar cheese on top.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:03 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b

We listened to an audio book while we were doing it.
what a great idea to do while you're decorating!!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:04 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I am actually off for 2 days over thanksgiving which I never expected as I volunteered to work. I have absolutely no idea what I will do.....except for something involving a big bottle of red wine.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tried that but I bet you're right!

I'm looking for other recipes for Thanksgiving now (sides) and suggested creamed pearl onions to my husband. He looked at me like I had 3 heads. Surely someone else has had these.

The search continues ...
Creamed pearl onions were a standard at our Thanksgiving meals when I was younger...my dad made them and they were delicious! I think he might have also done the creamed peas/pearl onion combo. Mmmmmm. Yum.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.