Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving

Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by jumping doris
This is our fifth thanksgiving. It is hard to get involved if you aren't american because you don't have all the memories etc. Bit like Boxing day for us.

Anyway, the first year we went to some friends and it was lovely. We had only been here a month and I was so surprised to be invited anywhere. We went back to their house two years ago and have been invited again this year. We know them well now and it will be great.
We had one thanksgiving alone and I quite liked that.

We arrived on these shores in early October 2005 and have very vivid memories of all the strange Fall things americans do...hay rides, fright nights etc. It was lovely, the weather was great and it was a really good time of year to arrive I think.

So..last year we decided to create our own tradition of having a family fall picnic. We went to Presque Isle on the shore of Lake Erie and had a really nice day. Part of the tradition is to be that we reminisce about our arrival here, think about the people and places we have found and the people and places we left behind.

This year we went to Presque Isle again but I think we will go somewhere else next year.

It is our own little thanksgiving without a turkey!
What a good idea...I remember you posting about that trip last year. A weekend away this year would have been great as the weather is so mild around here.

We usually go to friends but even after 13 years I still can't get into Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care really either way, just a practice run for x-mas I guess, but it's a nice great and well the only decent holiday most people are given so enjoy that.

We'll be heading up to Maine, to the folks and then having Thanks giving with the grandmother and head back over the weekend probably.

Don't mind the grub, but I do prefer roasted potatoes when doing a roast rather than mashed spuds, seems like such a waste of using the oven if all you use it for is the meat, without roasting the veg either...that's my only gripe.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

In the 80s, when all of the girls were home, we ate typical TG meal about 1, since Mrs R worked second shift in the ER. Once everyone had fled the coop, one DIL, who has a large family, so big they have to hold it at a church fellowship hall, has always invited us to eat with them. We were told don't bring anything, but we always did. This year Mrs R wanted to do something different, and our daughter, who lives in Nashville, called to say she and her husband are coming for TG. She is bringing some stuff, I went and bought the turkey last night, and I will get what we don't have tomorrow. I am completely Americanised now, and I kinda like Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Anna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really nice

This is my third Thanksgiving and I like it!

Every year I am asked "how do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Britain?"

(Once I was asked "how do you celebrate 4th July in Britain?")

Last edited by Anna Clare; Nov 20th 2009 at 11:47 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't care really either way, just a practice run for x-mas I guess, but it's a nice great and well the only decent holiday most people are given so enjoy that.

We'll be heading up to Maine, to the folks and then having Thanks giving with the grandmother and head back over the weekend probably.

Don't mind the grub, but I do prefer roasted potatoes when doing a roast rather than mashed spuds, seems like such a waste of using the oven if all you use it for is the meat, without roasting the veg either...that's my only gripe.
You should prepare some roasted veggies then, nothing wrong with that.

But someone said ham for Thanksgiving ... that's just wrong.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
You should prepare some roasted veggies then, nothing wrong with that.

If it were my place I would, or even at the folks place, but I'm not going to out at the grand mothers...she's a bit stuck in her ways
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If it were my place I would, or even at the folks place, but I'm not going to out at the grand mothers...she's a bit stuck in her ways
Fair enough. Keep it in mind for the future though, I think the feast trumps the specific ingredients.

(Except for turkey, there must be turkey.)
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

This is our 3rd Thanksgiving - the first one was really tough because we were missing home and I knew our whole street was spending the day with family. My sister who lives out here spends every TG in California with her in-laws so we do get invited to the beach house to spend it with them. We may pop in to see them the day after TG but on the day itself we will have friends over.

This bean cassorole that is mentioned alot - is it like green beans (runner beans)? Has anyone got a recipe I could use? My friend is doing the Turkey and I will do all the trimmings. My favorite veg to have is mashed swede and carrots.. mashed with warm milk and butter I do a mix of normal potatoes and sweet potatos roasted and of course roasted honey parsnips. I'll have to do brussells 'cos my OH loves them but they are lovely panfried with shallots.

*tummy rumbles*
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sambapink

This bean cassorole that is mentioned alot - is it like green beans (runner beans)? Has anyone got a recipe I could use?
Sneeze into a casserole dish, then empty a can of green beans, then cream of mushroom soup and something crunchy like those lays fried onions and bake...

Or use partially blanched fresh green beans and do as above...nice to mix some crushed nuts of choice in with the onion topping though....and also perhaps forego the sneezing...

You'll find a recipe on any can of chicken/mushroom soup or packet of beans, or bread crumbs or can of fried onions around though.

It's kind of vile, on par with the sweet potato and marshmellows....just have a balsamic and orange dressing on the beans, much nicer -

boil beans in water with orange peal...dump in bowl, mix in balsamic vinegar and squeezed juice of the orange, sprinkle with pinenuts though almonds are a nice twist if you have it as a starter rather than a side.

The rest of TG is really cool though.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is our 3rd Thanksgiving - the first one was really tough because we were missing home and I knew our whole street was spending the day with family. My sister who lives out here spends every TG in California with her in-laws so we do get invited to the beach house to spend it with them. We may pop in to see them the day after TG but on the day itself we will have friends over.

This bean cassorole that is mentioned alot - is it like green beans (runner beans)? Has anyone got a recipe I could use? My friend is doing the Turkey and I will do all the trimmings. My favorite veg to have is mashed swede and carrots.. mashed with warm milk and butter I do a mix of normal potatoes and sweet potatos roasted and of course roasted honey parsnips. I'll have to do brussells 'cos my OH loves them but they are lovely panfried with shallots.

*tummy rumbles*
Are you referring to green bean casserole? It's like a kind of slop in my opinion, but it's considered traditional by many.

Here you go:

http://www.frenchs.com/recipe/green-...le-RE1511.html

One thing that helps is using fresh green beans versus canned, which is what many people use.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Sneeze into a casserole dish, then empty a can of green beans, then cream of mushroom soup and something crunchy like those lays fried onions and bake...

Or use partially blanched fresh green beans and do as above...nice to mix some crushed nuts of choice in with the onion topping though....and also perhaps forego the sneezing...

You'll find a recipe on any can of chicken/mushroom soup or packet of beans, or bread crumbs or can of fried onions around though.

It's kind of vile, on par with the sweet potato and marshmellows....just have a balsamic and orange dressing on the beans, much nicer -

boil beans in water with orange peal...dump in bowl, mix in balsamic vinegar and squeezed juice of the orange, sprinkle with pinenuts though almonds are a nice twist if you have it as a starter rather than a side.

The rest of TG is really cool though.
Ha ha Bob - I couldn't agree more!!!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:10 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

*tummy rumbles*
Some people put soup and beans in a dish and heat them up.

*wipes mouth of sick*

I steam the green beans and mix with roasted cherry tomatoes and onion, and add few tbsp's of water to the onions and tomato before serving or re heating.

And a splash of balsamic and maybe some Pine nuts on top for good measure.

Bobs idea sounds nice as always.

This year I'm refusing to take part in any of the cooking as I don't like to be in a kitchen cooking with too many people and it's not my house, AND I DON'T WANT TO GO TO ST LOUIS.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:11 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Some people put soup and beans in a dish and heat them up.

*wipes mouth of sick*

I steam the green beans and mix with roasted cherry tomatoes and onion, and add few tbsp's of water to the onions and tomato before serving or re heating.

And a splash of balsamic and maybe some Pine nuts on top for good measure.

Bobs idea sounds nice as always.

This year I'm refusing to take part in any of the cooking as I don't like to be in a kitchen cooking with too many people and it's not my house, AND I DON'T WANT TO GO TO ST LOUIS.
Well then stop off at ABY's house instead,
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Think that was me I know it's traditionally turkey served at TG, but we always have ham. We came to this decision many years ago, Ham is hubby's fave, but I'm not a fan, so he gets ham for TG and we both get turkey for Christmas.

No matter how much I love him, I am not willing to give up my traditional Christmas turkey and there is no way I want to eat it at TG too, that would take away from the feeling of it being a special treat at Christmas.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Think that was me I know it's traditionally turkey served at TG, but we always have ham. We came to this decision many years ago, Ham is hubby's fave, but I'm not a fan, so he gets ham for TG and we both get turkey for Christmas.

No matter how much I love him, I am not willing to give up my traditional Christmas turkey and there is no way I want to eat it at TG too, that would take away from the feeling of it being a special treat at Christmas.
We sometimes do the reverse. Turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas. Although depending on how many people were around for Christmas, we've done them both. One year when I was younger my grandmother made a prime rib roast...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.