Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving 2011 Megathread

Wikiposts

Thanksgiving 2011 Megathread

Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving 2011 Megathread

Originally Posted by Ununoctium
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

*facepalm*
Do you literally know so little about, well, everything?

Thanksgiving was first observed as a national holiday when President George Washington issued a proclamation for thanksgiving after the establishment of the first congress in 1789. In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln reinstated a national Thanksgiving Day which was observed on the last Thursday of November.
Not true!

It is always the 4th Thursday of November, it is possible to have 5 Thursdays in November so it is not the last Thursday every year.

Just thought I'd point that out will I make my Mac and Cheese
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:17 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Not true!

It is always the 4th Thursday of November, it is possible to have 5 Thursdays in November so it is not the last Thursday every year.

Wikipedia can be such a bitch sometimes.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Wikipedia can be such a bitch sometimes.
Just another fishy story someone decided to come up with mate
Old Nov 24th 2011, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

They are every bit as aboriginal as the aborigines of Australia, Canada, Newfoundland, New Zealand, Tasmania, and other former colonies, problem?
Yes.

"The indigenous peoples of the Americas are the pre-Columbian inhabitants of North and South America, their descendants and other ethnic groups who are identified with those peoples. Indigenous peoples are known in Canada as Aboriginal peoples, and in the United States as Native Americans. They are commonly refered to as Indians, Red Indians, American Indians, or Amerindians, but are also known by their specific tribal and cultural ancestry and citizenship."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigen...f_the_Americas

Political correctness doesn't come in to it. It's what they are known as. Wikipedia really can be a bitch sometimes.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:08 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

You'll have Pat Robertson thinking you're black now

Last edited by Juswus; Nov 24th 2011 at 8:13 am.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:19 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

*facepalm*
Do you literally know so little about, well, everything?

Thanksgiving was first observed as a national holiday when President George Washington issued a proclamation for thanksgiving after the establishment of the first congress in 1789. In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln reinstated a national Thanksgiving Day which was observed on the last Thursday of November.
And in President Lincoln's proclamation (an excerpt of which I gave in this very thread), he explains that Thanksgiving is being celebrated for the end of the Civil War. It is only when you get to Hoover's proclamation in the 1930s that the link back to the pilgrims is made. Hence, I dubbed it Hoover's folly.

Seems to me that this independent thinking you claim omits basic comprehension skills.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Juswus
You'll have Pat Robertson thinking you're black now

Exactly!
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:17 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What does that have to do with a 4-star hotel?
Just another uneducated person showing their lack of understanding about Thanksgiving.

If you'd gone to my school, you'd know all about how the Pilgrims, after the feast, put the aboriginals up in a four star hotel* as a gesture of good will.

*Actually it was only a Courtyard Marriott but they're just a bunch of savages so what do they know.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:34 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KetteringEnglandRocks2005
Your Welcome. Think you for wishing me a great holiday season. I really appreciate it.
I have a lot of respect for your husbands job and for what he does for people. but it sucks that he is gone a lot and misses a lot of holidays with his family but that is part of the job. At lest you are use to it. That is good to know.
Could you please employ the services of a stenographer? Thanks so much.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Just another uneducated person showing their lack of understanding about Thanksgiving.

If you'd gone to my school, you'd know all about how the Pilgrims, after the feast, put the aboriginals up in a four star hotel* as a gesture of good will.

*Actually it was only a Courtyard Marriott but they're just a bunch of savages so what do they know.
Yes , also I notice you picked up on the word 'aboriginals' being preferred over the grammatically correct 'aborigines', the latter no longer being used because of its negative connotations.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:17 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes , also I notice you picked up on the word 'aboriginals' being preferred over the grammatically correct 'aborigines', the latter no longer being used because of its negative connotations.
Politically correct, gramatically correct, it's a slippery slope. Pretty soon the do-gooders will be insisting that my posts be factually correct and I just ain't havin' it.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Politically correct, gramatically correct, it's a slippery slope. Pretty soon the do-gooders will be insisting that my posts be factually correct and I just ain't havin' it.
Bleeding heart PC Brigade gone mad
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:44 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Bleeding heart PC Brigade gone mad
Indeed
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
Indeed
Hello stranger, how's it going?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:58 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hello stranger, how's it going?
Happy, happy, HAPPY.

Did I say 'happy'?

So happy, I almost forgot ask: How's you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.