Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving 2011 Megathread

Wikiposts

Thanksgiving 2011 Megathread

Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving 2011 Megathread

Last year we went out for Thanksgiving dinner because our kitchen was being renovated. This year things are back to normal, so I will cook a turkey as I usually do.

I'm starting a new job on Monday as well, so it will be an interesting week.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

Off to Wholefoods later to buy a Tofurkey.
We got Bobette2, one of those Tyler Florence turkey roast meals with veg....as annoying of a git as that bloke is, the baby food pouches are really good.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S

I'm starting a new job on Monday as well, so it will be an interesting week.
Congrats!
Old Nov 19th 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Ununoctium is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Perhaps it's time to end Hoover's folly. Genocide is not a reason for celebration.
Facepalm. Another uneducated person who doesn't understand Thanksgiving. It's to celebrate the aborigines and pilgrims working together in the early years of colonizing New England.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ununoctium
Facepalm. Another uneducated person who doesn't understand Thanksgiving. It's to celebrate the aborigines and pilgrims working together in the early years of colonizing New England.
Really? Wish I had your education.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Wish I had your education.
Yes, it must be wonderful.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:36 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We will go to visit the crazy in laws and eat Turkey. No doubt I'll hear about what I'm doing wrong in my life and raising kids, never mind the fact mine are doing well in school and oldest has graduated Uni and has a good job, hers are more of the "who needs a high school grad certificate mom will get me a job" kind of kids. So I'll bite my tongue and smile again this year, as this is the only sibling that has anything to do with my Dh and his Mom is bat shit crazy and moved out of state (thank god)
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:38 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Oops!

I do therefore invite my fellow-citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a day of thanksgiving and praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners, or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it, as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes, to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility, and union. -- Lincoln, 1863

Strangely no mention of Plymouth or pilgrims here.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:48 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Oops!

I do therefore invite my fellow-citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a day of thanksgiving and praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners, or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it, as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes, to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility, and union. -- Lincoln, 1863

Strangely no mention of Plymouth or pilgrims here.
Gah. I forgot he was such a downer.

Anyhoodles, forgive my lack of education but, a feast giving thanks to the Gods for the harvest appears throughout world cultures. In the US it just so happens that at one point in history, when a small number of Europeans were starving, some "aboriginals" bailed them out with seed and farming techniques (giving the Pilgrims the strength to grow and prosper and we all know what came of that ). The feast existed in both cultures prior to this relatively short historical period. This spirit of reciprocity was isolated and hardly indicative of relationships across the frontier but has managed to be turned into the folklore that is still perpetuated today.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

One of us is celebrating 4 days of no work and is going to relax and do as little as possible.....the other one is on-call so may not be home very much.

This is me......this is him...
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:56 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Leslie
Gah. I forgot he was such a downer.

Anyhoodles, forgive my lack of education but, a feast giving thanks to the Gods for the harvest appears throughout world cultures. In the US it just so happens that at one point in history, when a small number of Europeans were starving, some "aboriginals" bailed them out with seed and farming techniques (giving the Pilgrims the strength to grow and prosper and we all know what came of that ). The feast existed in both cultures prior to this relatively short historical period. This spirit of reciprocity was isolated and hardly indicative of relationships across the frontier but has managed to be turned into the folklore that is still perpetuated today.
It is, indeed, a substitute harvest festival.

The strange misconception is that it stretches back in an uninterrupted line to the original Thanksgiving. That link was only made by Hoover in his proclamation.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ununoctium
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:02 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It is, indeed, a substitute harvest festival.

The strange misconception is that it stretches back in an uninterrupted line to the original Thanksgiving. That link was only made by Hoover in his proclamation.
Interesting. So it was a late bloomer then.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:03 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ununoctium, hint: She's laughing at you, not with you.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:04 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Leslie
Interesting. So it was a late bloomer then.
Exactly! Were it still celebrating the defeat of Dixie, I would be more on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.