Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving; What Do You Do?

Thanksgiving; What Do You Do?

Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:07 pm
warksgirl

Default Thanksgiving; What Do You Do?

I'm just curious; what does everybody do for Thanksgiving? I know that not everybody here is married to an American. Or even if you are, you may not be near your Yank-in-laws...

Does anybody add a Brit twist to it?

Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:13 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving; What Do You Do?

Originally Posted by warksgirl
We're going to be in England for Thanksgiving this year, but we're going to celebrate it anyway. I'd say that's adding a Brit twist to it
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I avoid anyone who looks as though they might try to make me eat pumpkin pie.

I'm subversively introducing mince pies into American culture.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:24 pm
warksgirl

lol That must be a difficult task.

Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

lol That must be a difficult task.
We don't get out much for Thanksgiving.

Then again, as an Anglo/Mexican couple, it's not exactly the major event of the year. In the past, I would join friends who had been friends long enough that they didn't mind me boycotting the overgrown squash.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:33 pm
warksgirl

Last year, I was the only person who didn't "bring a dish" to the family gathering.

This year, I offered to bring something. The look on sis in laws face! She quickly suggested that I bring a salad, as if to fend off the possibility of me bringing something horrible, or un-Thanksgiving-y ...

hmmm so this has me thinking. Should I be a social rebel and bring what was not asked of me? Now that could be fun!

Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Nice...miss those
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Last year, I was the only person who didn't "bring a dish" to the family gathering.

This year, I offered to bring something. The look on sis in laws face! She quickly suggested that I bring a salad, as if to fend off the possibility of me bringing something horrible, or un-Thanksgiving-y ...

hmmm so this has me thinking. Should I be a social rebel and bring what was not asked of me? Now that could be fun!
You should take some Spotted Dick, just so when the in-laws ask you what it is ...
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The family were having it tonight, so missing out on that this year as we couldn't make it.
But normally, it's a stupidly huge turkey, a roast bit of big and salmon for the none meat eaters, mashed spuds, mashed squash, cauliflower, beans, biscuits and gravy, and other stuff I can't remember...not enough wine though...
Old Nov 7th 2004, 12:01 am
Brit Vic

Brit Vic is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just curious; what does everybody do for Thanksgiving? I know that not everybody here is married to an American. Or even if you are, you may not be near your Yank-in-laws...

My hubbys in the US navy, so he can have it on the ship, I like my turkey at Christmas!!! as always, so its just another day for me.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 12:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

So what dya guys do for it if there's any veggies in the house? *l*
Old Nov 7th 2004, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Here in Austin, we have a good time. I enjoy it a lot. Typically, my wife and a bunch of friends get up super-early and run the Thundercloud Subs 5 mile Turkey Trot. I, regrettably, am forced to stay home and fire up the oven, the smoker, and whatever else I can set fire to at 6.00 am. Eventually the house fills up with twenty or thirty friends (including a bunch of expats) and even a family member or two, and the party commences. It's a fun day. Kind of like Christmas back home, at least foodwise.

Old Nov 7th 2004, 5:18 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Waddya mean?? I Love pumpkin pie!!!

this year's have been my best!! every year since being in the states we've carved several pumpkins for Halloween and used the scooped out insides to make pumpkin pies.. delicious!!..........they very rarely make it to Thanksgiving though

aww sorry warksgirl i just started a thread along the exact same lines ...have to pay more attention before i start a new thread 'eh
Old Nov 7th 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Everyone wants a nice hot curry this year, so I guess I will do a phall. Other than that we sit down and watch Detroit play Indianapolis. I am a Lions fan, the Memsahib is a Colts fan. good job we will not be having any large items of food to throw at each other !
Old Nov 7th 2004, 12:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Then you are safe at our table ;-) Nary a pumpkin pie in sight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.