Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thanks to all you helpful expats!

Thanks to all you helpful expats!

Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Jolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really nice
Default Thanks to all you helpful expats!

My CR-1 visa came through the post yesterday (via courier after returning forms for a co-sponser). I fly out on Friday for my new life in California (still can't belive it!). Haven't seen my wife in a year but that ends this weekend. I really appreciated the help that I was given on here by you chaps and I wish all who are now going through the visa process the very best of luck. I know this process can be intimidating and hard at times, but hang in there because your time will come.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thanks to all you helpful expats!

CONGRATULATIONS its such a good feeling isnt it

and good luck
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jolly1
My CR-1 visa came through the post yesterday (via courier after returning forms for a co-sponser). I fly out on Friday for my new life in California (still can't belive it!). Haven't seen my wife in a year but that ends this weekend. I really appreciated the help that I was given on here by you chaps and I wish all who are now going through the visa process the very best of luck. I know this process can be intimidating and hard at times, but hang in there because your time will come.

Jeez that must've been hard and that's an understatement.

Congrats anyway, enjoy your new life.

Where in Cali are you moving to?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:38 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
Jeez that must've been hard and that's an understatement.

Congrats anyway, enjoy your new life.

Where in Cali are you moving to?
Same will be true of us when I fly to see her in October, then they;ll be another 6 months until I move I expect. 18 months married when we're finally togather.

Anyway congrats!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Jolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really niceJolly1 is just really nice

Thanks all. Off to San Diego, Ryan. Met my wife in SD in 2007. Since then we did all we could to be together. I went over on the VW program three times in 9 months staying each time for the allotted 3 month max ...then on the 4th trip I got a telling off in Atlanta for "abusing the system" and almost deported. So my wife (GF at the time) decided it would be better for her to come to England as often as possible until we got married in SD in December 2010. We've had to spend plenty of time apart (just as all folks on this testing journey). And yes, the year apart was hard, but I'm counting myself lucky.

Best wishes.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

FYI, most of the people who assisted you were not immigrants but USC who imported their spouses and stuck around to assist others.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
FYI, most of the people who assisted you were not immigrants but USC who imported their spouses and stuck around to assist others.
I shall look at the balance of trade import and export figures in a whole new light from now on.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all. Off to San Diego, Ryan. Met my wife in SD in 2007. Since then we did all we could to be together. I went over on the VW program three times in 9 months staying each time for the allotted 3 month max ...then on the 4th trip I got a telling off in Atlanta for "abusing the system" and almost deported. So my wife (GF at the time) decided it would be better for her to come to England as often as possible until we got married in SD in December 2010. We've had to spend plenty of time apart (just as all folks on this testing journey). And yes, the year apart was hard, but I'm counting myself lucky.

Best wishes.
I live in SD. It's really nice. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, if that's your thing. Good luck.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:18 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, South Dakota is a real "outdoorsy" place. LOTS of outdoors in the Dakotas.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Holliver
I live in SD. It's really nice. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, if that's your thing. Good luck.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Chem is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to chime in here, my wife and I moved to Illinois last Thursday. It's great to be here even though I am dying in the heat! The move was made a whole lot easier by the helpful advice available on this site. To you all a very grateful thanks!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Best wishes.
Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Yup, South Dakota is a real "outdoorsy" place. LOTS of outdoors in the Dakotas.

Regards, JEff
He said San Diego, then abbreviated it - I did the same. It was in context. Soooo picky JEff.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Acronym, not abbreviation.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Holliver
He said San Diego, then abbreviated it - I did the same. It was in context. Soooo picky JEff.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Acronym, not abbreviation.

Regards, JEff
Pedant
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I went over on the VW program three times in 9 months staying each time for the allotted 3 month max ...
With respect to this section of your post, I just want to understand what you've done. You used the VWP 3 times and on each visit you stayed 3 months (well, 90 days) and so you spent a total of 9 months in the US (3 x 3-months). Is this correct?

I ask, because you've likely stumbled over the IRS' substantial presence threshhold for having to file a US tax return. Yes... the US taxes visitors who end up on the wrong side of the IRS. And the US will tax you on your world-wide income!

So... something to consider. You absolutely don't want to get on the IRS' bad side!

Ian