Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Thank you - visa approved at Tokyo embassy

Thank you - visa approved at Tokyo embassy

Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold
Default Thank you - visa approved at Tokyo embassy

Yay, went for my interview today, got approved. Just waiting for my passport to be returned before I fully celebrate.

Want to say thanks to everyone who helped me with my questions and offered their experiences which really helped me with my application.

But I feel like this is only the first part- which it is, but I feel like a lot of people seem to think once this is done everything is ok, which is why I'm now thinking about the next step - what do I have to do when I get to the US? (end of March).

I can apply for my SSN about 10 days after entry, right?
We're planning on getting married in June, after I get married I can apply for AOS, right? But I can start preparing the documents, right?
I'm so confused about getting a California driver's license, but I'll do a bit more research on that myself.
How about bank accounts? I need a SSN to be able to open a bank account.

Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud about stuff. The main point was - Thank you for your help so far
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Tokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really nice
Default Re: Thank you - visa approved at Tokyo embassy

Good stuff. Congratulations from a Tokyo veteran.

Originally Posted by Holliver
How about bank accounts? I need a SSN to be able to open a bank account.
My wife opened an account at Wells Fargo Bank with her passport and without a SSN. The bank staff assured me that this was not a problem, but that interest earned on the account(s) is subject to 30% tax withholding until you supply SSN/ITIN.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tokyo-Joe
Good stuff. Congratulations from a Tokyo veteran.

My wife opened an account at Wells Fargo Bank with her passport and without a SSN. The bank staff assured me that this was not a problem, but that interest earned on the account(s) is subject to 30% tax withholding until you supply SSN/ITIN.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the info
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

It's at least vastly more difficult, if not impossible, to get a driver's license in CA without an SSN. So just get your SSN ASAP, and go to the DMV afterward.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Do you currently have a UK or Japanese drivers license (with English translation international drivers license)? If you do, normally California will issue you a 90 day temporary license after you pass the written test. You can just walk into any DMV and take the test without an appointment. Then you can schedule an appointment for the road test anytime during the next 90 days.

However the temporary license is not always automatic that the DMV will issue you the temporary license and you may have to ask for the license. If you don't get the temporary license, you will only have a drivers permit until you pass the road test which requires a licensed driver to be with you so make sure you get the temporary license.

The following is the California DMV handbook that has all the information needed to pass the written test.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael
Do you currently have a UK or Japanese drivers license (with English translation international drivers license)? If you do, normally California will issue you a 90 day temporary license after you pass the written test. You can just walk into any DMV and take the test without an appointment. Then you can schedule an appointment for the road test anytime during the next 90 days.

However the temporary license is not always automatic that the DMV will issue you the temporary license and you may have to ask for the license. If you don't get the temporary license, you will only have a drivers permit until you pass the road test which requires a licensed driver to be with you so make sure you get the temporary license.

The following is the California DMV handbook that has all the information needed to pass the written test.

Ah thanks for the info. I got so confused when I looked on their website. Yeah, I've got a British driving license. I'll try that then.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Ah thanks for the info. I got so confused when I looked on their website. Yeah, I've got a British driving license. I'll try that then.
Apparently even if you fail the road test, you still get to keep and use the temporary license and you can schedule another appointment for another road test. Also some people even got 2nd and 3rd temporary licenses because they were too lazy to schedule the road test.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:33 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

"Adults Visiting California
Visitors over 18 years old with a valid driver license from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California driver license as long as their home state driver license is valid."

Regards, JEff

I'm so confused about getting a California driver's license, but I'll do a bit more research on that myself.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
"Adults Visiting California
Visitors over 18 years old with a valid driver license from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California driver license as long as their home state driver license is valid."

Regards, JEff
Oh right, but I thought I was becoming a California resident once I get married?

If I can use my English license does that mean I don't need to do any California driving test? Just get car insurance?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right, but I thought I was becoming a California resident once I get married?

If I can use my English license does that mean I don't need to do any California driving test? Just get car insurance?
As you've pointed out, you won't be visiting, you'll be a resident.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa67
As you've pointed out, you won't be visiting, you'll be a resident.
So what does that mean with regard to me getting a license? That's why I got so confused.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So what does that mean with regard to me getting a license? That's why I got so confused.
It means you will need a California license.

Rene
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It means you will need a California license.

Rene
Ok, that's what I originally thought. The DMV website is well confusing.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Tokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really niceTokyo-Joe is just really nice

Ok, that's what I originally thought. The DMV website is well confusing.
You are supposed to get a California license within 10 days of becoming a resident.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tokyo-Joe
You are supposed to get a California license within 10 days of becoming a resident.
Yes, that's the part which confused me, when do I become a resident? I'm planning on moving to the US early April, but not getting married til June. At which point (up until) can I use my English license and when do I have to get the Californian license?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.