Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas and the 'temporary visitors' driving license.

Texas and the 'temporary visitors' driving license.

Old May 11th 2010, 4:36 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Texas and the 'temporary visitors' driving license.

I still remember my young days (Oops maybe shouldn't say that, as I still haven't hit 30 yet ), when you can use a state DL to go through airport, rent cars, buy alcohol, prove identity when using credit cards, without the fear of being looked down upon due to citizenship status. Those days are going, going, gone...
Old May 11th 2010, 5:44 am
Banned

aussie_best has a spectacular aura aboutaussie_best has a spectacular aura aboutaussie_best has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: Texas and the 'temporary visitors' driving license.

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
I still remember my young days (Oops maybe shouldn't say that, as I still haven't hit 30 yet ), when you can use a state DL to go through airport, rent cars, buy alcohol, prove identity when using credit cards, without the fear of being looked down upon due to citizenship status. Those days are going, going, gone...
In next 60 years, they will clearly mark/reserve the breathing air 99% for citizens and 1% for aliens..... Even in those times the priority dates for EB-3 will be 60 years behind.
Old May 11th 2010, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

If they're interested in creating some sorta DL that is linked to immigration status, it should be something that's linked to the USCIS, so it'll be possible to quickly check the legal status of a person (If admitted as temporary visitor, when that status will end).
I seem to remember reading that some DMVs do have the ability to link up with the USCIS/SSA computers. It's just that often they are too lazy or busy to go and look.

These new temporary DLs in themselves aren't discriminatory but it's now made easier for authorities or commercial operators to discriminate if they so wish as some are now finding out. The 1990s seem a loong way away sadly. Fortress America now rules.
Old May 11th 2010, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Are you being sarcastic? If I'm taking a domestic flight, all I ever use is my state-issued driver's license..and I defo use a DL for everything else you mention.
Old May 11th 2010, 6:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Are you being sarcastic? If I'm taking a domestic flight, all I ever use is my state-issued driver's license..and I defo use a DL for everything else you mention.
I think it was 'the fear of being looked down upon due to citizenship status' that has changed..
Old May 11th 2010, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think it was 'the fear of being looked down upon due to citizenship status' that has changed..
Ahh. Ok.
Old May 11th 2010, 6:38 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Fortress America now rules.
Except, with the entire back wall missing, the "Fortress America" mentality begins to look more like a form of mental illness...
Old May 11th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Especially if you're in AZ!
Old May 11th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a Drs. office today and the receptionist wanted to see my ID. I duly handed over my TX DL..."oh, are you only visiting? that could be a problem..."
10 mins later I managed to convince her that I've lived here legally for 10 years and I don't plan on going anywhere <sigh>
Old May 11th 2010, 1:51 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lisa67
I was in a Drs. office today and the receptionist wanted to see my ID. I duly handed over my TX DL..."oh, are you only visiting? that could be a problem..."
10 mins later I managed to convince her that I've lived here legally for 10 years and I don't plan on going anywhere <sigh>
Yep that illustrates my point. Most people won't know the different immigration visas/statuses unless they have dealt with the issues themselves, know people who do, or work in a related government agency or law firm. If you talk to a naturalized U.S. citizen/PR, he/she may be sympathetic/understanding when you show the DL. This won't be the case for the majority of the public laymen.

Plus immigration status shouldn't affect your ability to get care at a physician's office. A lot of times they ask you to either pay full up front, or provide health insurance info then bill you whatever you need to pay later.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep that illustrates my point. Most people won't know the different immigration visas/statuses unless they have dealt with the issues themselves, know people who do, or work in a related government agency or law firm. If you talk to a naturalized U.S. citizen/PR, he/she may be sympathetic/understanding when you show the DL. This won't be the case for the majority of the public laymen.

Plus immigration status shouldn't affect your ability to get care at a physician's office. A lot of times they ask you to either pay full up front, or provide health insurance info then bill you whatever you need to pay later.
Exactly...I'd already handed over my insurance details etc. The irony is that the receptionist's name is Maria Jose !!
Old May 11th 2010, 2:51 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly...I'd already handed over my insurance details etc. The irony is that the receptionist's name is Maria Jose !!
That's not ironic. In TX, it's possible to be the wrong kind of foreign.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chartreuse
That's not ironic. In TX, it's possible to be the wrong kind of foreign.
certainly is!
Old May 11th 2010, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why would it even matter what your status is as long as you have insurance? That just seems nuts that your status even matters! As long as you have insurance, they know they are getting paid so what's the big deal?
Old May 11th 2010, 3:41 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Why would it even matter what your status is as long as you have insurance? That just seems nuts that your status even matters! As long as you have insurance, they know they are getting paid so what's the big deal?
It's the 'temporary' part they have a problem with.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.