Texas

Old Aug 17th 2004, 4:45 am
Just Joined

petitefolie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Texas

We are moving to Texas soon, for the duration of 2 years. It will be in the Dallas area. More specifically, Nth Irving/Lewisville area. I'm looking for info regarding the apartments/facilities there that fall within our budget. Can anyone advise? Ta!
Old Aug 17th 2004, 10:08 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas

Hi there - we're down in Houston, so no idea about your question, but we cheked out Houston Association of Realtors online at har.com before we came and they had a load of good info - maybe do a search on dallas association of realtors and see what comes up. If nothing else, it'll probably give you some links to local realtors.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 12:12 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefolie
We are moving to Texas soon, for the duration of 2 years. It will be in the Dallas area. More specifically, Nth Irving/Lewisville area. I'm looking for info regarding the apartments/facilities there that fall within our budget. Can anyone advise? Ta!
Petitefolie, when we moved Plano in North Dallas just over a year ago we used an excellent (and free) relocation service that we found by searching for "Plano Relocation". Sadly their website doesn't seem to work anymore, so I guess they're out of business. However, there are many relocation services that work the same way - you don't pay them, but they take their fee from commission on apartments and such. Try this list as a start:

HTML Code:
http://dallas-tx.addresses.com/city/Relocating/Dallas-Texas-TX-180.html
Our relocation lady, who was really a local realtor for ReMax, found us a shortlist of apartment complexes in our budget range, sent us links to them all to view online, took us on a tour around them as soon as we arrived off the plane, and had us installed in one, with rental furniture, cars and the works within 36 hours. It was a great, and pretty painless, experience.

Alternatively, start searching
HTML Code:
http://www.rent.com
for apartment complexes in the area you want to live. Draw up a shortlist and then visit them all as soon as you arrive. Rent.com will even give you $100 if you put them down on your lease form as a referral.

Also, check out shools at the local Independent School District website:

HTML Code:
http://www.irvingisd.net/
Good luck!

(Private Message me if you want more information about the North Dallas area)
Old Aug 17th 2004, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

petitefolie is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks for the info! will start my search!
Old Aug 17th 2004, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefolie
Wow, thanks for the info! will start my search!
No advise here really, just wanted to say I hope you enjoy TX when you move there.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of

Welcome to Dallas

I've lived here since 1996 and I must warn you, summers are hotter than you could ever imagine! I come from Northern NY, so I wasn't used to the incredible heat here (my husband is from Newcastle, and he damn near died his first summer visit here )

Pretty much all the apartments in the area will make you fill out a standardized form from the Texas Apartment Leasing division. It's pretty basic, and each complex will fill in information unique to its own property. There are a ton of apartment locator services in the area, and they shouldn't charge you anything. They get their fee when you sign a lease with an apartment and list them as the referral (which, if your locator was helpful, you should do. They usually work VERY hard).

Depending on the area you're settling in, I can recommend a locator that I and just about every person in my company has used in the past. She's chatty, but very VERY thorough. Once you tell her your price range, location, any added features you want (large dogs, workout center, pools, covered parking, etc...) she'll furnish you with a list of apartments that meet your criteria, and include any rental specials she can get for you.

Another thing to think about: the public transit system in the DFW area is VERY poor compared to other large cities in the US (and probably in Europe as well). Don't pick a housing location thinking you can just hop a bus or subway to get around.

Good luck and post any questions you may have