Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tesco update

Tesco update

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tesco update

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Since were on food stores today. Inspired by JG and Gruff on local British food outlets, I found a Wegmans in Downingtown, about ten minutes fron No. 2 daughter and her OH's place. went there last week and spent good money for not very much. Today I hit World Market, Flavour of britain and Total Wine for some wine and some beer. Again, my wallet was much lighter for not very much although I got some fruit pastilles, haven't seen those in a very long time. I didn't get the pickled onions I wanted though, just some piccalily.
Then I bought a roomba, I hope that does the job, I hate vacuuming.

I pickle my own onions, its cheaper and you get double the onions for the price you would have paid for one jar
If you do them now they will be ready for Xmas
Here's an easy recipe if your'e interested.......

Pint of water & 2oz salt mix together add 1lb of peeled white onions or shallots. Leave for 24hours in fridge.

Following day, drain onions and rinse, pack in to jar

Bring to boil, 12 - 14 oz of malt vinegar, a couple of cloves and a pinch of mustard seeds. Allow to cool and then pour over the packed onions.

Screw lid on tight, leave in a cool dark closet or pantry..... Ready to eat in 6 - 8 weeks!

Bobs your uncle!..... did mine last week...can't wait to gobble them up with some ham & Turkey
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:06 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tbag
I pickle my own onions, its cheaper and you get double the onions for the price you would have paid for one jar

Pint of water & 2oz salt mix together add 1lb of peeled white onions or shallots. Leave for 24hours in fridge.

Bring to boil, 12 - 14 oz of malt vinegar, a couple of cloves and a pinch of mustard seeds. Allow to cool and then pour over the packed onions.

Screw lid on tight, leave in a cool dark closet or pantry..... Ready to eat in 6 - 8 weeks!

Bobs your uncle!..... did mine last week...can't wait to gobble them up with some ham & Turkey
You should have your own recipe thread
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
You should have your own recipe thread
Thank you I don't like to pay for stuff I know i can make myself, if it's a good recipe of course! I make my own marmalade too both my mums recipes
I come from a family of Cooks and Chefs..........
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I spent 4 years working for Tesco in the UK...... The rules were that even if there was alarge supermarket in any town Tesco would buy some land, build a supermarket and sell everything cheeper than the rival even if the whole store ran at a loss, once the other store was financially destroyed and closed up went Tesco prices.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 5:25 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I have done that except I saved the vinegar from commercial onions. My book says the vinegar should be 7% acid for pickling, and the stores have only 5%. do you get pickling vinegar sent from UK?

We used to mash up some cheddar in some of the leftover vinegar, and spread it on bread, it was known, back then, as "mock crab".
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have done that except I saved the vinegar from commercial onions. My book says the vinegar should be 7% acid for pickling, and the stores have only 5%. do you get pickling vinegar sent from UK?

We used to mash up some cheddar in some of the leftover vinegar, and spread it on bread, it was known, back then, as "mock crab".
Not heard of mock crab before..........sounds yummy will try it
I use the London pub type vinegar or Sarsons which I recently found here..... they usually come out great with that.... I did the same tho this time and added some leftover vinegar from a jar my mum gave me last time I was home.
The American pickling spice is a bit intense I found so I just put in the cloves and the mustard seeds now.........
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:34 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tim_in_SF
I had Tesco/M&S/Waitrose "moment" when I was walking to my local Safeway yesterday... just wanted to get some healthy, fresh ready meals and snacks like I used to buy... why are US food stores so crappy?

Please Tesco, open a store in San Francisco!
Till then you'll just have to survive with the little Brit shop on 15th at Potrero for Brit stuff, or Real Foods for something healthy.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:36 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

oooh thanks! my nan always used to make them- i'm going to try it
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cutina
oooh thanks! my nan always used to make them- i'm going to try it
You are very welcome ............they are really easy and taste like home
Old Sep 24th 2006, 2:53 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Not heard of mock crab before..........sounds yummy will try it
I use the London pub type vinegar or Sarsons which I recently found here..... they usually come out great with that.... I did the same tho this time and added some leftover vinegar from a jar my mum gave me last time I was home.
The American pickling spice is a bit intense I found so I just put in the cloves and the mustard seeds now.........
Thanks for the info. My mother is from a big family, my mum was the oldest of fourteen living, my youngest uncle is a couple of years older than me. They all lived in the Taunton area and most of them seem to grow rows of shallots, even if they don't grow other vegetables. Different people used different amounts of pickling spice and one uncle puts some capers in the vinegar. I never knew how strong they would be. By the time I had it worked out, it was time to head back to London and the new school term. They used to put them in gallon jars, just as well, we used to have some cuthroat cardgames on a Sunday afternoon and evenings when large quantities were consumed because we ate bread and cheese and pickles because nobody wanted to stop to get dinner.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

...........we used to have some cuthroat cardgames on a Sunday afternoon and evenings when large quantities were consumed because we ate bread and cheese and pickles because nobody wanted to stop to get dinner.
These are the little anecdotes which are fun to read and although very personal, can invoke a familiar image.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 2:22 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Shaws is Sainsbury's ...... does anyone in the north east find UK stuff on the shelves ? ... If Tesco here sold the same stuff they sell back home it would be too expensive, none of the locals would shop there.

Yes, they would, all the Brit locals!
Old Sep 24th 2006, 2:25 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I buy English pickled onions from our local wine store.

For putting in martinis?
Old Sep 24th 2006, 2:30 pm
The Unmod

Originally Posted by gardnma
These are the little anecdotes which are fun to read and although very personal, can invoke a familiar image.
I put up some memories on a forum in the UK, that covered my connection with the town. Then I added some from WW2 because they asked. My firstborn daughter demanded that I keep adding but to keep a record on my machine for them. Perhaps I'll use my blog to build up a collection. One of the people in the card game was my uncle Paul. He is a Secular Jew and was from the East End, he was put in the Somerset Regiment and posted to Taunton where he palled up with my blood Uncle Norman. Through him, he met and married my Aunt Joan. They had a child size billiard table and he taught us to play. Then he bet me half a crown that he would give me a 99 point start on a game to 100, and if he got first shot he would beat me. I took him up on it. he went to take his shot, stopped and offered to bet me five bob that I wouldn't even get a shot, obviously, I bet him. He then put his cueball straight into the pocket, giving me the game. He payed me the half-a-crown for winning, and I paid him twice as much because I didn't get a shot. He is still my favourite uncle.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 2:37 pm
The Unmod

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Roomba is great...especially for solid floors.

I buy English pickled onions from our local wine store.
Name names, Lady, which wine store, or is it just a local. I bought the roomba because you were so high on it and I have a hatred for vacuuming. I have old wood floors and short napped carpets. I have to pick up junk from the floors before I let it go. I'll be interested to see the reactions of the cats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.