Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Temporary work in the USA?

Temporary work in the USA?

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:11 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary work in the USA?

Originally Posted by becsplat

I sound like a lovesick teenager don't I? Thanks for the advice though!
I say sod it, go for it. There are plenty of us on here who have known instantly that our partners were the right one from the word go. Sure, some of us didn't up and move to the other side of the world because of it, but some of us did make rash decisions.

Who knows it could be the best decision of your life. If it turns out to be the worst, pack your bags, fly back to the UK and get a divorce. At least you will have given being happy a shot, something too many people seem afraid to do.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

As a fellow burner I can sympathize.

Just remember that decisions and impressions made on the playa do not always translate well back into real life!
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Also, on a more serious note, if he's never been out of the US you might want to explore the option of him coming to the UK.

My reasoning is that, in my experience, if a couple has one party who is very 'ameri-centric' and another who is a world traveller (not unusual for young Brits these days), there can be a difference in life outlook that manifests itself as a problem down the line.

Realistically, you are going to have to explore the marriage route. If you marry him, he really should be prepared to live in the UK, at least for a while. Might as well test it out sooner rather than later.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:02 pm
BMO
Just Joined

BMO is an unknown quantity at this point

If its a multi-national company maybe look into them transferring you to a location in the US if they have one?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most unlikely that anyone in that sort of job could get a US transfer having worked for a Multi National Construction Company.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 7:04 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

Suggest you allow chemical balances to be restored before taking any major decisions
Old Sep 24th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
As a fellow burner I can sympathize.

Just remember that decisions and impressions made on the playa do not always translate well back into real life!
This is very true. I literally ran into the Burning Man festival in my Land Rover back in 2002 trying to hook up with some friends from California camping elsewhere on the playa, when I and the two other Land Rovers coming from the east coast mistook the burning man for our friends campfire and barreled through the plastic fence around the festival at 45 mph in the middle of the night. The damn fence came out of nowhere.

I completely concur that Black Rock Desert is one of the more bizarre places on earth, and is far removed from the doldrums of real life.

A couple of visits in LA and the UK is definitely in order before taking the plunge in my humble opinion.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I say sod it, go for it. There are plenty of us on here who have known instantly that our partners were the right one from the word go. Sure, some of us didn't up and move to the other side of the world because of it, but some of us did make rash decisions.

Who knows it could be the best decision of your life. If it turns out to be the worst, pack your bags, fly back to the UK and get a divorce. At least you will have given being happy a shot, something too many people seem afraid to do.
Sorry I don't agree. Rushing into marriage...it turning sour...followed by a nasty divorce...could cause a lifetime of heartache. Especially if children are involved...the OP could then be stuck in the US until the kids are 18. I've lost count on the number of people who have posted in these forums about the heartache they are going through after their marriage to a USC has hit the skids.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 8:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry I don't agree. Rushing into marriage...it turning sour...followed by a nasty divorce...could cause a lifetime of heartache. Especially if children are involved...the OP could then be stuck in the US until the kids are 18. I've lost count on the number of people who have posted in these forums about the heartache they are going through after their marriage to a USC has hit the skids.
Same could be said of people who date for 5 years before marrying though. Nasty divorces happen to people regardless of how long they have been together.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Same could be said of people who date for 5 years before marrying though. Nasty divorces happen to people regardless of how long they have been together.
I think there is a legitimate concern about someone getting stuck in another country.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 9:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It could yes...but the OP sounds young and she barely knows the guy. She would be coming to live in a foreign country, different culture etc. Many of us have found the transition difficult...even though many are older and some have moved with their British family/spouse. Fools rush in and all that.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 24th 2012 at 9:19 pm. Reason: typo
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It could yes...but the OP sounds young and she barely knows the guy. She would be coming to live in a foreign country, different culture etc. Many of us have found the transition difficult...even though many are older and some have moved with their British family/spouse. Fools rush in and all that.
I do agree with what you are saying. It's just at the moment I know 2 individuals in different relationships who are seriously unhappy following 20+ years together. They had 15 good years, and now both are heading for a messy divorce, but I'm sure they don't regret those first 15 years.

I moved in with my hubby within 1 week of starting to date him, 16 years later we are still going strong. There are lots of other people on here who have jumped in feet first and its worked out.

I'm just in one of those moods at the moment where life is for living, not daudling around to see what might happen 2 years down the line.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:41 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with this.... it does happen I knew INSTANTLY that hubby was the one for me and 17 yrs on we are happier than we have ever been (even living in the US *SHOCK*), it is so easy to NOT do things for fear of what might happen but after hearing some crap news about work colleagues lately I say GO FOR IT - life is here for the living!!!!!!!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

becsplat is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! So many responses! Thank you everyone. Even the condescending ones...

I am 29 years old. No spring chicken, no lovesick teenager, I have had my share of heartbreak and good relationships... although due concern should be given to the haste of my desire to move to the US, rest assured I do not have a doubt in my head that he is the one. And he feels exactly the same, so I am thankful for teh advice based on the (correct) assumption that I'm not mental.

At the beginning of the year I was going to move to Australia for a year or two. I had my flights, paid for my under 30's work visa, arrange a travel buddy, got my insurance... but then my father was diagnosed with cancer, and I was not prepared to move to the other side of the world whilst he underwent chemotherapy.

Thankfully he is in remission now (hooray!), and I am ready to start a new adventure in life. Meeting Karl has given me direction as to where to begin the new chapter in my life. It is a chapter I cannot imagine not sharing with him. Our long distance relationship is something we are comitted to and is going really well (as well as the 8 hours time difference will allow). I am fully aware it will take months to come up with a route into the US, I jsut need good advice on the route you would take if you were me- or different peoples experiences in their respective routes.

Hope this helps! Thanks again! Becsplat x
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

simples

get married be together.

it either works or it doesn't
no harm no foul either way.

it's what the marriage, K1 visas are for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.