Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Temporary Medical Insurance for Visitors

Temporary Medical Insurance for Visitors

Old Feb 17th 2006, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice
Default Temporary Medical Insurance for Visitors

I'd like to have my mum-n-law from Wales come stay with hubby and I in California for 3 months.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding medical insurance for her? I think travel insurance would be exspensive. I was hoping for some out of the box ideas.

Thanks,
Cali
Old Feb 17th 2006, 6:30 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Medical Insurance for Visitors

Originally Posted by Caligirl4ever
I'd like to have my mum-n-law from Wales come stay with hubby and I in California for 3 months.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding medical insurance for her? I think travel insurance would be exspensive. I was hoping for some out of the box ideas.

Thanks,
Cali
Some painkillers, a bottle of scotch and a return ticket to the UK.
Has she checked out boots or tescos for travel insurance - £200 might cover them both.
I don't think you will find anything cheaper to be honest, but I've been wrong before (a long time ago though - 1984, i remember it well)
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

check with your mastercard/visa card, they might have some kind of travel covered already?

though for 3 months, it's going to be expensive, depends on there age though...and hsbc offer pretty good cover too.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Cali
My father in law had probs trying to get ins. in 1999 because he had suffered a heart attack 12 mths before. I used a travel agents in Llay, N.Wales (sorry can't remember the name but Llay is only a tiny village) I spoke to the owner who I vaguely knew and he said that if I booked the flights thro him he would sort the med. ins. Where in Wales is your MIL from? On a different note I was in a store a few weeks ago and the assistant asked where I was from and said she had served a Wale (Whale?) the day before. lol
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
check with your mastercard/visa card, they might have some kind of travel covered already?

though for 3 months, it's going to be expensive, depends on there age though...and hsbc offer pretty good cover too.

thats usually just for if the plane falls from the sky!!

i think it has to be travel insurance - annual policies arent that expensive and cover single trips for up to 90 days in some cases!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My father in law had probs trying to get ins. in 1999 because he had suffered a heart attack 12 mths before. I used a travel agents in Llay, N.Wales (sorry can't remember the name but Llay is only a tiny village) I spoke to the owner who I vaguely knew and he said that if I booked the flights thro him he would sort the med. ins. Where in Wales is your MIL from? On a different note I was in a store a few weeks ago and the assistant asked where I was from and said she had served a Wale (Whale?) the day before. lol
ROFL...that's so funny! You got to be kidding...served a Wale/Whale.

My MIL is from Port Eynon, Swansea...(on the Gower) I LOVE IT there, she has a 3 bed/2 bath bungalow overlooking the bay.

The house is worth about 300K GBP but if it was in California it would be a multi million dollar view!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:29 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I always used Columus Direct when I used to travel to the States on a monthly basis. Their customer service was brilliant when I booked over the phone and the documents always arrived the next day. I recommend them: Columbus Direct

Oh...and they have a special deal for over-64's.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try them all. MIL is 78 years old! I'm anxious to see what Columus has to say, hmmm... Thanks so much everyone! ;-)

Hugs,
Cali
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try them all. MIL is 78 years old! I'm anxious to see what Columus has to say, hmmm... Thanks so much everyone! ;-)

Hugs,
Cali
Mine is the same age with medical issues, she did use SAGA, but not this last time.

PM me if you get stuck and I will ask her, not cheap due to age and medical issues.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Hugs,
Cali

Loads of them are so expensive.
And going over 31 days is dearer.
Think my Mum got hers with Asda.She comes over for 10 weeks.
She is 66 soon to be 67.
I will ask her when i next speak to her if it is with them and how much.
Will let you know.

Take care
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
Loads of them are so expensive.
And going over 31 days is dearer.
Think my Mum got hers with Asda.She comes over for 10 weeks.
She is 66 soon to be 67.
I will ask her when i next speak to her if it is with them and how much.
Will let you know.

Take care
Thanks so much Unicorndreams, I'll look forward to hearing from you...Hugs ;-)
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

try this lot too, I did well with them (again don't know what they're like for the older generation)

http://www.buyamericaninsurance.com

best of luck
Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:00 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Temporary Medical Insurance for Visitors

You could get an online quote from the well-known travel agency for travellers, 'Trailfinders'.

Here is the link....it doesn't cover pre-existing conditions and the small print says that the cost is double for those aged 66 - 69 and triple for those aged 70 and above.

http://www.trailfinders.com/insuranc...etripquote.htm

home page;

http://www.trailfinders.com

Also try the Post Office, Halifax BS and Tescos for travel insurance as well as leaflets normally found at any travel agency. Also check the classified ads in travel sections of "The Sunday times" "The Observer" or "The Sunday Telegraph" newspapers.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Your mum could just go to any post office over there and buy a years coverage travel insurance, I found it the best and cheapest before i actualy came to live here, it covers most situations.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Love you all!

I'll check those out too! I am determined to get my MIL out here for awhile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.