Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

temporary medical coverage when moving back.

Wikiposts

temporary medical coverage when moving back.

Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: temporary medical coverage when moving back.

Did you catch this bit?

This means treatment needed where the diagnosis of a condition is made when first symptoms arise during a visit to the UK. It also applies where, in the opinion of a doctor or dentist employed by an NHS hospital, treatment is needed quickly to prevent a pre-existing condition increasing in severity, eg dialysis. It does not include routine monitoring of an existing condition such as diabetes.

So in other words emergency care or if an illness that needs a doctor visit comes up you'd be covered, but continuous care from something on going isn't covered.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
So in other words emergency care or if an illness that needs a doctor visit comes up you'd be covered, but continuous care from something on going isn't covered.
I'd say that it's pretty difficult to distinguish between the two, but that is a good point. I suspect the distinction is going to be difficult to enforce.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Did you catch this bit?

This means treatment needed where the diagnosis of a condition is made when first symptoms arise during a visit to the UK. It also applies where, in the opinion of a doctor or dentist employed by an NHS hospital, treatment is needed quickly to prevent a pre-existing condition increasing in severity, eg dialysis. It does not include routine monitoring of an existing condition such as diabetes.

Yes I did. My husband's health "ticks over" most of the time & he has been well enough to travel back to England for years. However when his problem with adhesions kicks off, he is an emergency case. He does not receive any routine monitoring. I think you are a nurse so will understand what I mean.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:41 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
Yes I did. My husband's health "ticks over" most of the time & he has been well enough to travel back to England for years. However when his problem with adhesions kicks off, he is an emergency case. He does not receive any routine monitoring. I think you are a nurse so will understand what I mean.
I know what you mean.
But someone with ongoing stuff that is monthly meds and treament wouldn't be covered, High blood pressure that requires meds. or Diabetes, or cancer treatment that is already in progress etc. As we get older all these things become more usual. My Mom is getting treated for thyroid my Dh has monthly meds and dr visits for Valley Fever.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

I know what you mean.
But someone with ongoing stuff that is monthly meds and treament wouldn't be covered, High blood pressure that requires meds. or Diabetes, or cancer treatment that is already in progress etc. As we get older all these things become more usual. My Mom is getting treated for thyroid my Dh has monthly meds and dr visits for Valley Fever.
Hi again, when we go to Britain, we take enough prescription meds to last 3 weeks. We go for 2. I also ensure he has his B12 injection the week before we leave. We do not want the hassle of seeking GP time when we are there seeing our families. I regard the NHS as a safety net should he become in need of hospitalisation in an emergency. Without this, we wouldn't be in a position to leave Canada. I don't know why there is this concession for UK pensioners but, it's still there. Possibly because adverse publicity would be unwelcome?

Neither of us is diabetic, has high BP or is being monitored for any medical condition. Nor are either of us obese. BUT my husband can become very ill in a matter of hours. This happened on Christmas day & is the reason I am currently living in a motel in Moncton, New Brunswick.

Somewhat fed up, Valerie

Valerie
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future

As far as I can see I emigrated from the UK when I was 29 so I have the 10 continuous years up to then in the past and am receiving my state pension, so I should be eligible for NHS.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:29 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
Hi again, when we go to Britain, we take enough prescription meds to last 3 weeks. We go for 2. I also ensure he has his B12 injection the week before we leave. We do not want the hassle of seeking GP time when we are there seeing our families. I regard the NHS as a safety net should he become in need of hospitalisation in an emergency. Without this, we wouldn't be in a position to leave Canada. I don't know why there is this concession for UK pensioners but, it's still there. Possibly because adverse publicity would be unwelcome?

Neither of us is diabetic, has high BP or is being monitored for any medical condition. Nor are either of us obese. BUT my husband can become very ill in a matter of hours. This happened on Christmas day & is the reason I am currently living in a motel in Moncton, New Brunswick.

Somewhat fed up, Valerie

Valerie
Oh dear, I hope he gets well soon so you can go home and sleep in your own bed.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 2bretired
As far as I can see I emigrated from the UK when I was 29 so I have the 10 continuous years up to then in the past and am receiving my state pension, so I should be eligible for NHS.
the problem is...normal NHS stuff(non emergency) isnt based on anything to do with anything you paid in years or decades ago, its based on residency and if you arent an ordinary resident there , you arent entitled to it

Last edited by paulpur; Jan 11th 2012 at 11:44 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2bretired
...... only for those conditions which 'flare' up in the UK i.e emergency treatment - not ongoing treatment or services which you normally deal with in your place of permanent residency.

However, as people are saying whether you are treated as a 'usual' UK resident is up to the GP and/or hospital administration.