Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

temporary medical coverage when moving back.

temporary medical coverage when moving back.

Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future
Thumbs up temporary medical coverage when moving back.

Does anybody know the procedure for registering with a local Doctor in the UK for a temporary stay ( 5 months to start ).

My wife and I ( she is US I am dual, both retired) will be returning to the UK to take care of my aged parents. We decided to do it by going over first for 5 months, then decide if we need to come back permanently until they pass on.

Now I have developed high blood pressure and my USA prescription coverage does not allow more than 3 months supply in one shipment in the US, they will not ship internationally, so I will need to find a new Doctor in the UK. I still have my old NHS card from 35 years ago and wondered if this was a problem. Also do they still have my old medical records from back then. I am well over 60 so am I eligible for free prescription as well.

Brit.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: temporary medical coverage when moving back.

If you are not a permanent resident in the UK you are not eligible for the NHS.

I would suggest that you take out travel insurance to obtain your prescriptions and any other medical services you might need.

I, too, have my old medical card and even though I paid into the system for nearly 40 years I would not qualify if I went back on a temporary basis.

It's tough I know.

Having said all that you might just find an NHS doctor to take you on since, presumably you wil have a UK address.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Optimistic Pessimist is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Have a look at theis website to find your nearest GP, you will have to ask them if they are taking on new patients. They will also want to see evidence of immigration status (Brit passport, wife's visa in passport).

http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx

Finding your old medical documents may be tricky if the GP no longer exists, best to discuss with the surgery you register with.

Hope that helps

Optimistic
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimistic Pessimist
Hi

Have a look at theis website to find your nearest GP, you will have to ask them if they are taking on new patients. They will also want to see evidence of immigration status (Brit passport, wife's visa in passport).
If the OP is only planning on staying 5 months, they presumably won't be doing anything about the wife's visa situation as a USC can stay in the UK visa free for 6 months.

If they are considering staying longer though, get it taken care of before April, when things change up and it gets much tougher to do.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you are not a permanent resident in the UK you are not eligible for the NHS.
It's not quite as simple as that with the NHS and non-residents. This NHS leaflet briefly indicates entitlement to NHS hospital treatment for non-resident UK citizens (for example, A&E treatment is always free). UK state pensioners living abroad also may have some entitlement for some things.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2bretired
Does anybody know the procedure for registering with a local Doctor in the UK for a temporary stay ( 5 months to start ).

My wife and I ( she is US I am dual, both retired) will be returning to the UK to take care of my aged parents. We decided to do it by going over first for 5 months, then decide if we need to come back permanently until they pass on.

Now I have developed high blood pressure and my USA prescription coverage does not allow more than 3 months supply in one shipment in the US, they will not ship internationally, so I will need to find a new Doctor in the UK. I still have my old NHS card from 35 years ago and wondered if this was a problem. Also do they still have my old medical records from back then. I am well over 60 so am I eligible for free prescription as well.

Brit.
As a you and your wife are not returning as UK permanent residents you are only entitled to emergency healthcare on the NHS. However, other healthcare is entirely at the discretion of the doctor/surgery/clinic you go to. As a Brit you may not be questioned about your residency but if your wife needs treatment she probably would be.

Best to take out travel insurance...just in case.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough

Hi, I´m also planning to return to the UK for a few months and have been told by both the local primary care provider and the GP surgery that I can sign on as a temporary patient for up to 3 months. This only applies to the GP services, any hospital treatment (other than A&E) would be chargeable.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleWeed
Hi, I´m also planning to return to the UK for a few months and have been told by both the local primary care provider and the GP surgery that I can sign on as a temporary patient for up to 3 months. This only applies to the GP services, any hospital treatment (other than A&E) would be chargeable.
As I said above it is entirely at the discretion of the doctor/surgery/clinic. As this question crops up regularly on the forums...I emailed the NHS and asked them and that was their reply. You were lucky that is obviously the policy of the surgery you approached.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:53 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

medical treatment fees is a big issue at the moment
Non residents are not entitled to it ( excepting very limited circumstances) Do take out insurance before you travel and pay for any treatment, especially if your spouse is planning to apply for visas in the future, there are questions about medical treatment on the application forms. Not worth the risk.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future2bretired has a brilliant future

SanDiegogirl if you paid into the system for 40 years you are eligible for full UK state pension. I just got mine and it can be paid into any bank worldwide at the prevailing currency exchange.

I think my main concern is getting a local prescription and getting it filled. The only thing that may be good is prescription cost in the UK are bound to be a lot lower than here.

We have US medical/medco insurance, but we will have to find UK doctors that will except it. The only problem is I just became eligible for medicare and my insurance has become secondary. Plus the way the insurance works is you have to pay up front and get reimbursed later.

All this could be a mute point is if we decided to return permanently I can apply for a visa for my wife and thus again become eligible for NHS. To be honest I am not sure if I can permanently return after living in California for 40 years. I have got accustomed to living in jeans and tee shirts cooking on the outdoor BBQ.

Thanks everybody for your prompt reply's. We are leaving at the end of February and we are trying to get all possible loose ends sorted before we leave. I think it will be a big cultural change for my wife. We always laugh at everything in England takes 2 weeks.

Brit
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

SanDiegogirl would be eligible for a pension, but as a non resident she isn't eligible to use the NHS I think that was what she was getting at.
Only residents get to use the NHS, being a citizen doesn't mean you are a resident, unless you move back permanently.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
SanDiegogirl would be eligible for a pension, but as a non resident she isn't eligible to use the NHS I think that was what she was getting at.
Only residents get to use the NHS, being a citizen doesn't mean you are a resident, unless you move back permanently.
Correct, I was referring to using the NHS when you are a non-resident of the UK.

My 'old age pension' is already sorted out. Keep getting reminders from the Pension Authorities in the UK that I am now eligible and when do I want to start taking it. Boy, do I feel old
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

I've just checked out the new rules and a UK state pensioner & spouse still qualify for free NHS treatment when visiting from overseas. There is a new requirement that an individual must have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 10 years but that seems to be the only change.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_128863

Hope this link works. I'm away from home & this laptop isn't working out very well.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
I've just checked out the new rules and a UK state pensioner & spouse still qualify for free NHS treatment when visiting from overseas. There is a new requirement that an individual must have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 10 years but that seems to be the only change.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_128863

Hope this link works. I'm away from home & this laptop isn't working out very well.
Interesting... that is a very generous provision (it also applies to the pensioner's spouse even if they are not a UK state pensioner who's lived in the UK for 10 years at some point). Eligibility for NHS coverage is one of my concerns about my plan to split retirement time between the UK and the US, and this seemingly would be a big help: Medicare in the US, NHS in the UK.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Interesting... that is a very generous provision (it also applies to the pensioner's spouse even if they are not a UK state pensioner who's lived in the UK for 10 years at some point). Eligibility for NHS coverage is one of my concerns about my plan to split retirement time between the UK and the US, and this seemingly would be a big help: Medicare in the US, NHS in the UK.
I'm glad you found it helpful. It's important for me because I still have my Mum in England and a husband who cannot get health insurance unless any of his existing conditions are excluded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.