Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Temporary Car Insurance in UK for British Citizen living in the USA

Temporary Car Insurance in UK for British Citizen living in the USA

Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

sjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nice
Default Temporary Car Insurance in UK for British Citizen living in the USA

Hi,

Has anyone been able to solve the car insurance mystery of obtaining insurance on a friend's or family member's car in the UK while you, as a British Citizen - holding a full UK license, are visiting home from the USA where you are currently living?

If you could share which insurance company you have used that would be much appreciated.

I live in the US and visit the UK a number of times a year, each time I hire a car through a rental company. Borrowing a friend or family member's car and finding temporary insurance for that would be a potentially more cost effective and convenient option - if I could find an insurance company that would provide that service.

Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:29 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Car Insurance in UK for British Citizen living in the USA

Originally Posted by sjp2011
Hi,

Has anyone been able to solve the car insurance mystery of obtaining insurance on a friend's or family member's car in the UK while you, as a British Citizen - holding a full UK license, are visiting home from the USA where you are currently living?

If you could share which insurance company you have used that would be much appreciated.

I live in the US and visit the UK a number of times a year, each time I hire a car through a rental company. Borrowing a friend or family member's car and finding temporary insurance for that would be a potentially more cost effective and convenient option - if I could find an insurance company that would provide that service.

Thanks

Norwich Union
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just get yourself added if the do not have any authorised driver coverage.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
Don't forget to mention you're not a UK resident and therefore will be using a US driver's licence. It may narrow down your options but you can get insurance.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend managed to get on her daughter's insurance, but unfortunately I can't remember who she was insured with (not much help really!!!) I do know that they wanted an international drivers license and not her US one though!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
A friend managed to get on her daughter's insurance, but unfortunately I can't remember who she was insured with (not much help really!!!) I do know that they wanted an international drivers license and not her US one though!
My sister managed to get me added to her insurance...cost around £75 for a month. She said I had held a UK license for 'x' number of years...but gave details of my US licence as I was no longer a US resident.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My sister managed to get me added to her insurance...cost around £75 for a month. She said I had held a UK license for 'x' number of years...but gave details of my US licence as I was no longer a US resident.
I was suprised that she needed to show an international license
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

sjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nice

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated. I contact Norwich Union and they are able to add me as an expat additional driver to the policy providing the main policy holder is a British Citizen living in the UK.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated. I contact Norwich Union and they are able to add me as an expat additional driver to the policy providing the main policy holder is a British Citizen living in the UK.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you live in the USA, your UK license is not valid anyway, regardless of whether it's expired or not. The rules are that UK licenses are only valid if you are resident in the UK.

So your question should be, who will insure you with your US license, while driving friends' cars in the UK.

To attempt to become 'insured' using your UK license is a terrible idea, since when you have a crash and then they find out your UK license is invalid - you've got serious problems. You're just as covered not bothering with any insurance, as obtaining 'coverage' by telling an insurance company you have a 'valid' UK license.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Aug 11th 2010 at 1:35 am.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Since you live in the USA, your UK license is not valid anyway, regardless of whether it's expired or not. The rules are that UK licenses are only valid if you are resident in the UK.

So your question should be, who will insure you with your US license, while driving friends' cars in the UK.

To attempt to become 'insured' using your UK license is a terrible idea, since when you have a crash and then they find out your UK license is invalid - you've got serious problems. You're just as covered not bothering with any insurance, as obtaining 'coverage' by telling an insurance company you have a 'valid' UK license.
I do believe I've tried to impress on the OP that he should give his US license details and not his UK license.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

You did try.

I think on this point it's worth being absolute, though.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for highlighting this. I took your question to the insurance company and also to the DVLA and can confirm for my situation, which of course all situations are different, however I can be insured on the car. The NFU also provide car insurance to expats and gave a better quote than Norwich Union, they confirm and have underwritten that I can be insured as an expat. I do not have a US license, I do have a UK license and I am a British Citizen, but live in the US. They will underwrite this situation and I am permitted to drive and am fully insured on the car in the UK.

Last edited by sjp2011; Aug 13th 2010 at 4:14 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

They're wrong.

Whoever you spoke to at the DVLA, doesn't know their own rules. If you aren't resident in the UK, your UK license is not valid. End of.

If an insurance company states they will insure you on the basis of a UK license while living abroad, get the specifics in writing, so that you can sue them when they refuse to pay out after an accident.

Unfortunately, people who work for these organisations don't know their own rules and regulations quite often, so you need to take extra steps to cover yourself.

I'll try and find the link you need later to the page on the DVLA website that tells you this in black and white.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:48 pm

Thanks for highlighting this. I took your question to the insurance company and also to the DVLA and can confirm for my situation, which of course all situations are different, however I can be insured on the car. The NFU also provide car insurance to expats and gave a better quote than Norwich Union, they confirm and have underwritten that I can be insured as an expat. I do not have a US license, I do have a UK license and I am a British Citizen, but live in the US. They will underwrite this situation and I am permitted to drive and am fully insured on the car in the UK.
Yep thats what dad used to do for me when he was alive but I was living in Australia at the time not the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.