Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tell me something ...

View Poll Results: So, do you like it here or not?
Love it - gonna stay
50.00%
'sokay - I'm about 50:50
41.30%
Hate it - can't wait to leave
8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Tell me something ...

Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

ukchloeinusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tell me something ...

I've been over here for nearly 5 years and I have to say that I love it. Yes, there are minor niggles but generally I get on really well with the people (lack of sense of humour not a problem I've come across, and even in England I was regarded as being tres sarcastic, etc.) in fact I've only made one English friend in the whole time. I prefer the way of life, I love the space and generally fit in here much better. I'm fascinated to know whether most of you like or dislike living here, or is it just the typical British 'let's put everything down' attitude? I'm guessing the latter, 'cos let's face it - you could always move back!

PS I'm quite prepared to get in trouble for this question!
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me something ...

It's okay...bit kack cos I ain't working and there's not much in this state, could be worse, could be stuck in the deep south and have even more mozzies...but then it could be better too...

I'm easy going and make friends easily enough, so it doesnt' really bother me all that much, though it's nice to have a moan about things and be sarcastic and for people to get what you mean
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:43 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's okay...bit kack cos I ain't working and there's not much in this state
Bob! I've just thought of a job for you. How about working in the maple syrup industry??
Attached Thumbnails Tell me something ...-home_header_pic.jpg  

Last edited by dbark; Apr 1st 2005 at 11:49 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's okay...bit kack cos I ain't working and there's not much in this state, could be worse, could be stuck in the deep south and have even more mozzies...but then it could be better too...

I'm easy going and make friends easily enough, so it doesnt' really bother me all that much, though it's nice to have a moan about things and be sarcastic and for people to get what you mean
Bob, why don't you work. Are you waiting on an EAD?.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 12:29 am
ImHere

Its fine. Get up, eat, work, eat, watch tv, go on pc, row with wife and kids, go to bed. Repeat. About the same as in the UK except with more sunshine and in dollars.

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:04 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Oi!!!

Trying being stuck in the deep south with the mozzies AND having no job.

I'm 50/50 with it. I could stay, I could leave. Makes no difference. May have to leave after April if things don't work out soon. Tired of being turned down for interviews because I don't have a GC yet. I was even turned down as I had no credit history. Gee, thanks.

I can't wait too long to get a job. I may have to fly back to England and sort something out there.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:13 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
AND having no job.
When I was looking for work my wife's cousin sent me this link:

Odd Todd

Made me laugh.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:28 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Tired of being turned down for interviews because I don't have a GC yet.
Rincewind,
That isn't legal. As long as you have proper work authorization (as in EAD), they can't turn you down because of lack of greencard.

Have they actually told you this, or is it just a feeling?

~SecretGarden
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:42 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Rincewind,
That isn't legal. As long as you have proper work authorization (as in EAD), they can't turn you down because of lack of greencard.

~SecretGarden
In the job listings clear as day.

I view many jobs each day and the majority state GC Holders Only.

The Credit Check deal was the best yet. What the hell has a credit check got to do with a job?? I understand a back ground check for a criminal record, but Credit Check??
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
Bob! I've just thought of a job for you. How about working in the maple syrup industry??
Grand folks do it, tapped all the trees, so just turn it on and it pours into a vat and then wood fire to cook it down and bottle it, don't take much work these days, since they hooked all the trees up to a hose...
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Bob, why don't you work. Are you waiting on an EAD?.
Cos this is a summer city, there ain't anything open for a couple months yet, and then all the jobs go back to the regulars....there's bugger all temp job, except possibly at mbna, the most depressing miserable place on earth...plus this dump was only supposed to be a temp place as the missus got a job here for the sponsorship stuff...but I've had **** all luck in getting a proper job in this country.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I'm 50/50 with it. I could stay, I could leave. Makes no difference. May have to leave after April if things don't work out soon. Tired of being turned down for interviews because I don't have a GC yet. I was even turned down as I had no credit history. Gee, thanks.
Aye, I know what you mean, but Iv'e got my interview in 3 weeks...

As for the deepsouth, at least you've got AC
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by SecretGarden

Might not be legal, but hardly in a position to go sue them are we...and seriously, unless you have a greencard, they couldn't give a **** and they dont' know any better...it's not like working at some massive multinational corp...
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

The Credit Check deal was the best yet. What the hell has a credit check got to do with a job?? I understand a back ground check for a criminal record, but Credit Check??
Its' to see what kind of moral standings you have, if you pay your bills etc...they did it where the missus worked, but only to look for negative dings...but then it is a "bank" afterall
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:52 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

In the job listings clear as day.

I view many jobs each day and the majority state GC Holders Only.

Well, I suppose it depends. If you're applying for a job with a financial institution then they want to make sure that you can manage not only someone else's money but your own as well. My stepmother had a credit check for her job in a brokerage firm.

As far as the greencard thing---I believe the only time they can actually say that is if you have to have a higher level security clearance for say, a governmental job.

I do know that there is a section on the USCIS site (uscis.gov) that talks about employment and what you can do if you feel you are being discriminated against because of your immigration status.

~SG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.