Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tell me good things about you location !!!

Wikiposts

Tell me good things about you location !!!

Old May 8th 2006, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

DarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tell me good things about you location !!!

Originally Posted by greggx101
I read a lot of bitchin about certain places over there like FL being too muggy and full of old biddies or Cali being "querky" and sure if i looked harder I would find more bitchin about other places !!!

Tell me some good things about where you live or give me a suggestion where a 30 something brit should relocate to in the States - near the coast, not too hot, definately no snow.
OK, I'll leave the bad stuff out then

1) Climate in northern California is near perfect as far as I'm concerned. Not too cold in the winters, not too hot in the summers. There's a rainy season, but it's over the course of 3 or 4 months, and usually over and done with for the rest of the year.

2) Natural beauty. Yosemite national park is amongst the most breathtaking scenery I have ever seen. Lake Tahoe is also stunning, in both the winter and summer seasons. Some of the beaches around here are pretty stunning, although If I'm perfectly honest not as pretty as somewhere like Cornwall. That's subjective though.

3) Tons of tech and other jobs. This is the centre of the universe for instance for my line of work (computer graphics).

4) San Francisco is very liberal minded compared to the rest of the US.
Really, anything goes. Some people might see this as a downside of course.

5) Compared to London, SF has always felt like toytown to me. When I first got here I had this weird sense of 'where the heck is everybody?'. The city itself is under a million people, and doesn't feel too overcrowded. The great thing is, I can drive across it to see friends on other side of town in about 15 minutes. When I lived in south London I would dread going 'north of the river' and avoid it where possible.

6) More of an outdoorsy lifestyle. If you're into hiking, mountain biking, ski-ing, surfing etc, this is a good place to be.

That's about all I can think of for now. I could probably write just as much stuff about the bad sides to living here, but I guess I'll save that for another thread
Old May 8th 2006, 9:05 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by DarrenP
That's about all I can think of for now. I could probably write just as much stuff about the bad sides to living here, but I guess I'll save that for another thread
There is absolutely no downside to living anywhere in the States.
Old May 8th 2006, 9:11 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
There is absolutely no downside to living anywhere in the States.
I'm glad to see the new medication kicked in
Old May 8th 2006, 9:15 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Colorado - it's Briiiiilllllllliiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnntttttt!

Anyone remember The Fast Show?

Old May 8th 2006, 9:15 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I still can't get the top of mine
How am i meant to squeeze and twist at the same time anyway ??
Old May 8th 2006, 9:20 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Yeah, took my happy pills today
Old May 8th 2006, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Yeah, took my happy pills today
Can you pass some over, please?
Old May 8th 2006, 10:27 am
Banned

greggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by blaze
Here we go!!!, yet another bride bought in the local papers 'US bride sale' a few weeks ago! (ducks)
How did you guess !!
Old May 8th 2006, 10:28 am
Banned

greggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Gregg - how are you in this fortunate position that weather is your only consideration?
I work for a US company that has satellite branches in most states.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:31 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hawaii?
Old May 8th 2006, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Well aren't you the lucky duck!
Old May 9th 2006, 12:50 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick my head above the parapet and say that I like living in Pittsburgh.
I like having four seasons and I like being sort of in the country but also very close to a city.

Everyone, except one person, has been so nice and made us all feel really welcome. That one person told me she didn't like me because I didn't speak American! But who cares.....it's her loss.
Old May 9th 2006, 1:30 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I still can't get the top of mine
How am i meant to squeeze and twist at the same time anyway ??

Give it to a 3-year old.

I thought everybody knew that...
Old May 9th 2006, 2:13 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with BritGuyTN. Summers in TN are hot and very humid but spring/autumn here are like nice summer days back in the UK. The cost of living in the South is very low compared to the North East or the West Coast.

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Nashville

mild winters
nice spring
3 months of hot and humid summer (nowhere near as bad as florida)
VERY pleasant autumn

Very liberal city
Reasonable traffic
Good nightlife
Reasonabvle cost of living
Lots of easily accessible concerts and sports games

I didnlt have a clue what the place would be like until i moved here to be with my wife but it really is very pleasant
Old May 9th 2006, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Nashville

mild winters
nice spring
3 months of hot and humid summer (nowhere near as bad as florida)
VERY pleasant autumn

Very liberal city
Reasonable traffic
Good nightlife
Reasonabvle cost of living
Lots of easily accessible concerts and sports games

I didnlt have a clue what the place would be like until i moved here to be with my wife but it really is very pleasant
I'm really impressed with Nashville too.
I wouldn't say it was a very liberal city though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.