Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teenage Permanent Resident

Teenage Permanent Resident

Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:58 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Teenage Permanent Resident

Hubby is sponsoring both my daughter and me. We are permanent legal residents (subject to the 10 year Green Card). Daughter turns 18 in July and is so very desperate to flee the nest (yes, it breaks my heart). And, of course, we are (as parents) so totally mean, obnoxious, mean, hard arses, mean, outright horrid, mean, etc etc. Did I mention that we are mean?

Anyways, does anyone here have experience when it comes to dealing with legal resident teenagers who are trying to "emancipate" themselves and don't have any regard for society, and lawful rules? Are we, as parents/legal guardians, held legally responsible for anything that is done unlawfully by said teenager? In other words, where does the "buck" stop? In a nutshell:

Daughter wants to leave home before she is 18 (she is supposed to be graduating in May), and go her own way. Does hubby need to continue sponsoring her, do I still need to be her legal guardian, do we have to pick up any pieces if/when she gets herself into legal trouble?

I appreciate any help/guidance you may be able to point me in the right direction.

mozoo
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:33 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenage Permanent Resident

As I understand it, the sponsor is still the sponsor until she has 40 social security credits (equivalent to 10 years of work) or she abandons her residency. Not entirely sure, but I think you are the legal guardian until she is 18 (unless you can convince someone else to adopt her). Whether you have to pick up just some, or all pieces, I'm not sure either.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
As I understand it, the sponsor is still the sponsor until she has 40 social security credits (equivalent to 10 years of work) or she abandons her residency....
the financial sponsor, yup, or also until person gets citizenship or dies.

To the OP, your best bet would be asking in the visa section of the forum to get an answer.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:44 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well, yes, there is always that.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:00 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

To the OP, your best bet would be asking in the visa section of the forum to get an answer.
Oh goody - we get to renew her UK passport and then dump her back in England coz she sure ain't gonna pay for her citizenship ... and we don't want her to die just yet!!! Hubby will be well pleased for forking out yet another ginormous stash of dosh so that we don't get into mega trubbs with the US Authorities.

As for the visa section of the forum - everything that I could think of regarding a teenage "subject" has come up with nowt. I guess I am not using the correct terminology!!! Ho hum ... gotta get them drinking glasses on
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:03 am
medusas peligrosas

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
As I understand it, the sponsor is still the sponsor until she has 40 social security credits (equivalent to 10 years of work) or she abandons her residency. Not entirely sure, but I think you are the legal guardian until she is 18 (unless you can convince someone else to adopt her). Whether you have to pick up just some, or all pieces, I'm not sure either.
YAY - wethinks we will be waiting forever in that respect!!! :scared:
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mozoo
Oh goody - we get to renew her UK passport and then dump her back in England coz she sure ain't gonna pay for her citizenship ... and we don't want her to die just yet!!! Hubby will be well pleased for forking out yet another ginormous stash of dosh so that we don't get into mega trubbs with the US Authorities.

As for the visa section of the forum - everything that I could think of regarding a teenage "subject" has come up with nowt. I guess I am not using the correct terminology!!! Ho hum ... gotta get them drinking glasses on
wait until she gets into trouble with the law first, and the US Authorities might dump her ass back in England for you
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Don't have any words of wisdom, just wishing you good luck. Teenagers are horrid creatures - bet she'll be fine in a couple of years
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:50 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Don't have any words of wisdom, just wishing you good luck. Teenagers are horrid creatures - bet she'll be fine in a couple of years
Yep a bit a real world living never did anyone any harm.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:57 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Her parents (legal mother and father, not her step-father unless he has legally adopted her) are responsible for her until she reaches 18. They must provide food, clothing, shelter, etc.

If she is a disciplinary problem such that you cannot handle her, then you can ask that her guardianship be turned over to the state. Think foster home.

She cannot legally hold many jobs, sign a contract (like a lease or a loan) or many other things until she is 18 proper.

Would she like to go back to the UK? Of course, if she stays there long enough, she will lose her US permanent residency and in the off-chance that she turns out to be a decent creature, it will be much harder for her to get it back through you, even if by then you are a citizen.

Continue to act in her best interest without being a doormat. You don't have to give her a dime -- you merely have to clothe/feed/provide medical care etc until she is 18. Doesn't say she has to have the clothing etc she wants -- merely adequate.

What the heck are her plans to support herself?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming she has a DL then you have Financial Responsibilities under that until the age of majority, usually 18, some States I think are 21.

There is also the Family Car Doctrine in some States, basically then can sue you as well as the daughter, an extension of vicarious liability.

Much easier to wash your hands in the UK, if you have the money and she does not it is more practical here to seek to include you in any civil action.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Mar 24th 2006 at 4:19 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mozoo
I appreciate any help/guidance you may be able to point me in the right direction.
Can I suggest a good swift kick up the jacksee,
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
wait until she gets into trouble with the law first, and the US Authorities might dump her ass back in England for you
Our Liam (now 20) has been in jail 4 times, for 3 MIP's (minor in possession)and a lil stay for non-payment of fines. He had no problem getting his 10yr LPR card, citizenship might not come so easy but for now apart from every local cop knowing him as far as we know there are no plans to chuck him out of the country.

Jan
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:23 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
Our Liam (now 20) has been in jail 4 times, for 3 MIP's (minor in possession)and a lil stay for non-payment of fines. He had no problem getting his 10yr LPR card, citizenship might not come so easy but for now apart from every local cop knowing him as far as we know there are no plans to chuck him out of the country.

Jan
they're misdemeanors, not felonies though.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
they're misdemeanors, not felonies though.
Absolutely

There is also a big difference between pre and post 18 convictions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.