Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tech geeks - Electrical changes on return to UK

Tech geeks - Electrical changes on return to UK

Old Dec 12th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tech geeks - Electrical changes on return to UK

Originally Posted by ldobson
No, I have built numerous systems, where the parts are purchased in the states (due to pricing) and literally built in the UK. It does depend on the PSU, but any quality PSU is either switchable, auto-sensing or at the worst would cut power to the system, putting the PSU in to 'locked' state if the power is not suitable.
Sorry but you're just plain wrong.

There are plenty of cheap PSUs that don't have any such safeguards.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 11:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

d) I doubt it - most PCs are far to big to be taken onto a plane as carry on. They'd never get in the overhead bins or under the seat in front of you. If you want it back in the UK you'll likely need to ship it. Not sure what they'd make of you trying to check a PC into the hold of a plane with all those electronic components in it.

I lugged mine around in a suitcase without problems...carried the hard drives as hand luggage though.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 11:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldobson
No, I have built numerous systems, where the parts are purchased in the states (due to pricing) and literally built in the UK. It does depend on the PSU, but any quality PSU is either switchable, auto-sensing or at the worst would cut power to the system, putting the PSU in to 'locked' state if the power is not suitable. All PSU's I have used work fine in the UK, all that is needed is a suitable power cable. And btw these are systems that run 24/7, 365, as they are used as servers.
Hmmmm.....naaa...I'm with BG on this one...I've worked with loads of computers too, and most don't have decent PSU's, never mind auto switching, or even multi voltage.

If you bought your own PSU then chances are it might as your looking for a good one, but nearly anything off the shelf prebuilt wouldn't, even with half decent systems.