Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching in US

Teaching in US

Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

megasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nice
Smile Teaching in US

Hi all,

Not posted for a while and cant remember where I was up to last time I did.

Basically, after a 4 year fight we eventually moved to Florida last August on the H1b visa (teaching) and my sons as H4 dependants.

Unfortunately, we had to move back, have fought for another year, have just been over, accepted 2 jobs, to be told that both counties are not now sponsoring international teachers due to cuts in finances.
However, one changed their minds, only after the jobs had gone!!

So, thoroughly fed up, I am wondering if anyone knows of anyone who is on the H visa for teaching ANYWHERE in the US.
Although I did and still do want Florida, I am getting rather tired of it, so am now looking at other areas.
Thanks Sue
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

yadaramola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in US

Originally Posted by megasue
Hi all,

Basically, after a 4 year fight we eventually moved to Florida last August on the H1b visa (teaching) and my sons as H4 dependants.

Unfortunately, we had to move back, have fought for another year, have just been over, accepted 2 jobs, to be told that both counties are not now sponsoring international teachers due to cuts in finances.

So, thoroughly fed up, I am wondering if anyone knows of anyone who is on the H visa for teaching ANYWHERE in the US.
Although I did and still do want Florida, I am getting rather tired of it, so am now looking at other areas.
Thanks Sue
Hi, Have a look at this link, hope it works or go directly to www.tes.co.uk
Its the teachers website, click on community, then staff room, then look for teaching overseas and there are lots lot on teaching in USA. Lots are in the VIF program and you might get some advice there also. The link should link you to Higs and Wee's VIF hut-tub.

Good luck

http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffro.../&threadPage=1
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

megasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nice

Originally Posted by yadaramola
Hi, Have a look at this link, hope it works or go directly to www.tes.co.uk
Its the teachers website, click on community, then staff room, then look for teaching overseas and there are lots lot on teaching in USA. Lots are in the VIF program and you might get some advice there also. The link should link you to Higs and Wee's VIF hut-tub.

Good luck

http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffro.../&threadPage=1
Hi and thanks for the link. I have looked on this before, and just scanned it quickly now.
Unfortunately, as you said, they are on the various teaching programmes, on J visas.
This is no good to me, as I would have all my family with me, and we are looking to move permanently rather for a fixed couple of years.
Will keep looking though, and maybe someone on there knows someone who has gone the Hb way.
Thanks, Sue
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

yadaramola is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and thanks for the link. I have looked on this before, and just scanned it quickly now.
Unfortunately, as you said, they are on the various teaching programmes, on J visas.
This is no good to me, as I would have all my family with me, and we are looking to move permanently rather for a fixed couple of years.
Will keep looking though, and maybe someone on there knows someone who has gone the Hb way.
Thanks, Sue
Hi, thats ok, I like to help where possible as I am also trying to relocate.
The link is quite long to read but I got these sites from them as some have found permanent jobs after coming off the VIF programe.

www.imagineschools.com
www.teacherscouncil.com
www.uscharterschools.org
www.edjoin.org - based in california
www.britishschool.org

Regards.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Sue
You will not be able to bring all your family with you...your kids ages max out next month.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You will not be able to bring all your family with you...your kids ages max out next month.
I know, they would be going to communty college / Uni
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yadaramola
Hi, thats ok, I like to help where possible as I am also trying to relocate.
The link is quite long to read but I got these sites from them as some have found permanent jobs after coming off the VIF programe.

www.imagineschools.com
www.teacherscouncil.com
www.uscharterschools.org
www.edjoin.org - based in california
www.britishschool.org

Regards.
Thanks for these. Have been on all but 1 and contacted them, sent them my details etc. Most areas will not sponsor though because of the cuts in education, and just because they dont need to do. And even in these private schools you have listed, they still have to follow the counties rules as far as sponsorship, certification etc is concerned.

Sue
Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks Sue
I would broaden your search for teaching jobs beyond just Florida. If you just want to teach in Florida, it may take you a whole lot longer to get that H1B teaching position.

On the other hand, if you were open to teaching in other states, you may find yourself and your sons in the US sooner.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I would broaden your search for teaching jobs beyond just Florida. If you just want to teach in Florida, it may take you a whole lot longer to get that H1B teaching position.

On the other hand, if you were open to teaching in other states, you may find yourself and your sons in the US sooner.
This is what my original post said.

That's why I am asking about other areas all around US.
Unfortunately the problem of sponsorship seems so hard to get anywhere
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

This is what my original post said.

That's why I am asking about other areas all around US.
Unfortunately the problem of sponsorship seems so hard to get anywhere
Just seen this thread. Do you speak Spanish? That would certainly help you out in the southern third or the country.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Just seen this thread. Do you speak Spanish? That would certainly help you out in the southern third or the country.
Unfortunately, no.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, no.
It's not very difficult to learn - how keen are you to move to the USA?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:58 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.vifprogram.com/learn/us/faq.html

most of the schools are going to be in very disadvantaged areas. you might not like it.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mallory
http://www.vifprogram.com/learn/us/faq.html

most of the schools are going to be in very disadvantaged areas. you might not like it.
Mallory, would you happen to know, would these places pay enough to support 3/4 adults, the community college education costs for two people and the running of two cars?

Edit - this link tells me that one person can live on the salary: http://www.vifprogram.com/learn/us/finances.html

Sounds like it might be OK for the OP to survive on the salary, but not for anyone else to be supported by this wage.

(Of course we don't know the whole situation....kids might have a trust fund etc and not need financial support from the OP, hubby may also be seeking a teaching job....)

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Jul 29th 2008 at 1:29 pm. Reason: Read the link more closely
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Mallory, would you happen to know, would these places pay enough to support 3/4 adults, the community college education costs for two people and the running of two cars?
Income ..very good point ...Feeding two teenager alone would bleed you dry ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.